Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 18, 7:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 8, 16, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Just curious what's everyone's experience applying for this recently with over 5/24? Was anyone successful getting this even over 5/24. Thanks for any tips and help!
Old Jul 9, 16, 2:29 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, LH, AF/KLM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NttDocomo View Post
Just curious what's everyone's experience applying for this recently with over 5/24? Was anyone successful getting this even over 5/24. Thanks for any tips and help!
Doctor of Credit seems to have concluded this card is not included in the 5/24 restrictions. The only card from the Marriott/Ritz family that seems to be 5/24 is the Marriott personal card.

I suspect that may not remain the case long-term so I've been debating whether I'd rather pick up this card or the Fairmont while both are still options. Return of the 140,000 point offer would seal the deal, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

Last edited by lobstahpotts; Jul 9, 16 at 2:37 am
Old Jul 9, 16, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lobstahpotts View Post
Doctor of Credit seems to have concluded this card is not included in the 5/24 restrictions. The only card from the Marriott/Ritz family that seems to be 5/24 is the Marriott personal card.

I suspect that may not remain the case long-term so I've been debating whether I'd rather pick up this card or the Fairmont while both are still options. Return of the 140,000 point offer would seal the deal, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...
Thanks lobstahpotts for the info and yes 140k offer will be awesome! But no one here speak of successfully getting the card after 5/24 in effect for cobrand. Wonder if anyone here has a successful or not successful case as data point? Thanks very much again for any tips and help. Good luck!
Old Jul 11, 16, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo View Post
Thanks lobstahpotts for the info and yes 140k offer will be awesome! But no one here speak of successfully getting the card after 5/24 in effect for cobrand. Wonder if anyone here has a successful or not successful case as data point? Thanks very much again for any tips and help. Good luck!
What timing!

I actually applied for this today and was approved. I'm well over 5/24, didn't apply in branch or anything. Looks like it's not yet falling under the 5/24 rule then.
Old Jul 11, 16, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
SM'ed about Priority Pass changeover date.

They replied saying they have no plans to change from Lounge Club to Priority Pass. So, the phone rep was wrong, I guess.

One funny thing was I mentioned their two main competitors- Amex Platinum and Citi Prestige making the switch. When they quoted my reply both were replaced with xxx. Maybe it's like the swear filter at some discussion boards.
Old Jul 14, 16, 11:47 am

Has anyone tried to travel reimbursement for AA gift cards recently? I have done it beginning of the year and was successful, but now seeing it on top (Wiki) that it isn't reimbursed. Any recent data points?
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by SuwaneeDad View Post
Has anyone tried to travel reimbursement for AA gift cards recently? I have done it beginning of the year and was successful, but now seeing it on top (Wiki) that it isn't reimbursed. Any recent data points?
I think since near the beginning of the year, GC had not been reimbursed. The charge says GC on it.
Old Jul 14, 16, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, ITA Volare Executive, Royal Air Maroc Gold
As recently as January, small purchases of, ahem, seat upgrades were still coding generically.

Since at least April, they seem to be coding as Gift Cards.

This raises the degree of difficulty when speaking to folks at Chase Visa RC
Old Jul 17, 16, 5:39 pm

Has anyone tried using the MileagePlus X app? I know it works for the Amex Platinum reimbursement.
Old Jul 17, 16, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
Has anyone tried using the MileagePlus X app? I know it works for the Amex Platinum reimbursement.
This is a quirk specific to the Amex processing network. It does not apply to Visa or MasterCard.
Old Jul 17, 16, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, UA Silver ,AA &Southwest
Originally Posted by SuwaneeDad View Post
My AA gift card charges are reimbursed this year. Keep the charges below 100 and ask for refund. If CSR says it is gift card, hang up and try another CSR.
Old Jul 17, 16, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post

Ritz reimb isn't automated like Amex. The CSR reimburses you after reviewing the charge. Also, while Amex posts MPX purchases as coming from United visa and mastercard post it as per the underlying merchant category. (Panera GCs trigger dining bonus for both freedom and citi prestige)
Old Jul 18, 16, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, AS MVPG 75K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by lamprey View Post
Has anyone tried the "Buy Extra Miles" offer from United? It's not a good value to buy miles at 2.1 cents each, but I wouldn't say no to 6,500 miles for $137 if Chase would reimburse me for it... Or are they wise to that kind of thing since UA partners with Chase?
I didn't see a response to this, curious about this also. Another example might be buying Lifemiles from Avianca, they process their sales internally (as opposed to lots of others that go through points.com).

Has anyone successfully reimbursed for mileage purchases?
Old Jul 18, 16, 11:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Buy a ticket (another cc)

Upgrade etc. using the Ritz card

Inside 24h cancel the flight (both amounts are being processed for refund )

Once the upgrade posts (before the refund) call the CSR and ask for reimbursement

> done
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Buy a ticket (another cc)

Upgrade etc. using the Ritz card

Inside 24h cancel the flight (both amounts are being processed for refund )

Once the upgrade posts (before the refund) call the CSR and ask for reimbursement

> done
Airline fees generally stay pending for a day or two and don't post for me until after the 24h is over. How do you get the above changes to post within 24h so that the rep sees it as posted ?

Search this Thread