Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note:
5/24 is the new application reality at Chase, so this speculation thread is now closed. As of this writing, there are some exceptions, and in-depth discussion is ongoing. To assist you in finding the most current information, please direct application discussions to the "Applying for Chase Cards" thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Further discussion regarding the nuances, exceptions and possible work-arounds to Chase's imposed 5/24 limitations may also be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-strategy.html

==============================================

What is Chase's so-called 5/24 policy?
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 rule?
Print Wikipost

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:57 am

Does anyone have data points about store charge cards that appear on credit reports (i.e. Comenity, Macys, Kay Jewelers, etc.) counting towards 5/24?? I have done a lot of googling and I can't find anything definitive.

They show up in CreditKarma but they show as Account Type : CHARGE.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Parafly9
Does anyone have data points about store charge cards that appear on credit reports (i.e. Comenity, Macys, Kay Jewelers, etc.) counting towards 5/24?? I have done a lot of googling and I can't find anything definitive.

They show up in CreditKarma but they show as Account Type : CHARGE.
How about this useful guidance?

Note also that
  • non-Chase business cards and
  • cards not reported to EQ/TU/EX (such as some department-store charge cards)
don't count towards this 5-card limit.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
How about this useful guidance?
Yeah I saw that. However these cards ARE reported on my credit report per Credit Karma, although they are not processed by AMEX, VISA, MC, etc... I think the actual processor is Comenity (which does cards for Loft, J Crew, Gap, Victoria's Secret, Motorola, et.c etc. )

However, they are listed as CHARGE cards under ACCOUNT TYPE, not CREDIT.

I want to go for the SW Companion Pass, but if they DO count, then I am at 4/24, if they do NOT count, then I am at 3/24 and can go for it.

I guess a more specific question would be:

Do COMENITY Charge Cards count towards 5/24.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:38 pm

Chase BA card

Anyone have any recent data points on the 5/24 applying to the BA card? I saw that the milevalue blog got denied this week, so I'm double checking before my upcoming app.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf
Anyone have any recent data points on the 5/24 applying to the BA card? I saw that the milevalue blog got denied this week, so I'm double checking before my upcoming app.
What you really want to know is whether people over 5/24 were approved. Denials supposedly because of 5/24 are largely worthless as data points, for the reasons described in the master thread's wiki. (See wiki above for link.)
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Parafly9
Yeah I saw that. However these cards ARE reported on my credit report per Credit Karma, although they are not processed by AMEX, VISA, MC, etc... I think the actual processor is Comenity (which does cards for Loft, J Crew, Gap, Victoria's Secret, Motorola, et.c etc. )

However, they are listed as CHARGE cards under ACCOUNT TYPE, not CREDIT.

I want to go for the SW Companion Pass, but if they DO count, then I am at 4/24, if they do NOT count, then I am at 3/24 and can go for it.

I guess a more specific question would be:

Do COMENITY Charge Cards count towards 5/24.
Yes they count. They're also revolving credit accounts just like a major credit card no matter what it says on CK. Note what beltway quoted from the Wiki says cards not reported to the 3 CRAs. The cards you list are reported.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Irish80
Yes they count. They're also revolving credit accounts just like a major credit card no matter what it says on CK. Note what beltway quoted from the Wiki says cards not reported to the 3 CRAs. The cards you list are reported.
OK thanks. What a bummer and what a waste. At least they are all up this upcoming December Lookslike I'll be going for the SW Companion Pass in 2017.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:09 pm

Have spouse be Chase Chaste = bad idea due to opportunity loss?

So, as previously mentioned, my wife and I discussed her being Chase Chaste--letting # of apps drop below 5/24 over time, and then applying for very few cards to stay that way. Enabling her to apply for new Chase cards that are under the 5/24 rule; while I'd keep applying per usual for perhaps 8 cards per year, including any Chase co-branded cards not under the 5/24 rule.

The thing is, the only Chase cards we truly care about that currently fall under the 5/24 rule are United and Southwest. Although Marriott holds some value for us. But it's the former two we cherish. We've both had Chase Sapphire Preferred cards for years and intend to hold on to them.

Might one spouse becoming Chase Chaste a bad idea? I think of all the other bonus-earning opportunities with other card products from Citi, Barclays, BOA, etc.

We love United because it's gotten us to Europe, out of RDU, so many times for so many years. We always seem to find good availability on partner Air Canada.

We love Southwest because, with the CP, we get to do a lot of travel from RDU to both Florida and New England for various holidays and other family-related travel.

But if we could meet our United and Southwest travel-satisified needs via other airline CCs through non-Chase banks (or other non-5/24 rule Chase cards), then one spouse being Chase Chaste seems like it may be leaving a lot of points and miles on the table.

We find Hyatt to be a great value hotel-wise (glad that's not 5/24 yet), and have been building up a large sum of BA avios (still not under 5/24).

What say you anyone out there considering having one spouse go Chase Chaste? Have you revisited that choice given not all co-branded Chase cards are under the 5/24 rule, and in light of the potential Opportunity Cost / Loss of reducing CC apps to a trickle?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:11 am

New thread for pros and cons of one spouse being "Chase Chaste"?

Moderator and participants: would it be better to start a new thread for my question below, now that Chase has implemented 5/24 for at least a good portion of its card product portfolio? Or leave the question in the current thread? Trying to be a Good Flyertalk Citizen by adding to existing thread, but wonder if this type of discussion--pros and cons of one spouse being "Chase Chaste"--might do better in its own thread.

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
So, as previously mentioned, my wife and I discussed her being Chase Chaste--letting # of apps drop below 5/24 over time, and then applying for very few cards to stay that way. Enabling her to apply for new Chase cards that are under the 5/24 rule; while I'd keep applying per usual for perhaps 8 cards per year, including any Chase co-branded cards not under the 5/24 rule.

The thing is, the only Chase cards we truly care about that currently fall under the 5/24 rule are United and Southwest. Although Marriott holds some value for us. But it's the former two we cherish. We've both had Chase Sapphire Preferred cards for years and intend to hold on to them.

Might one spouse becoming Chase Chaste a bad idea? I think of all the other bonus-earning opportunities with other card products from Citi, Barclays, BOA, etc.

We love United because it's gotten us to Europe, out of RDU, so many times for so many years. We always seem to find good availability on partner Air Canada.

We love Southwest because, with the CP, we get to do a lot of travel from RDU to both Florida and New England for various holidays and other family-related travel.

But if we could meet our United and Southwest travel-satisified needs via other airline CCs through non-Chase banks (or other non-5/24 rule Chase cards), then one spouse being Chase Chaste seems like it may be leaving a lot of points and miles on the table.

We find Hyatt to be a great value hotel-wise (glad that's not 5/24 yet), and have been building up a large sum of BA avios (still not under 5/24).

What say you anyone out there considering having one spouse go Chase Chaste? Have you revisited that choice given not all co-branded Chase cards are under the 5/24 rule, and in light of the potential Opportunity Cost / Loss of reducing CC apps to a trickle?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy

My wife will be 0/24 come December 2017. We get a lot of value out of CP so she will get CP for us for 2018 and 19 assuming the rules don't change. That alone would be reason enough for us to have her be the Chase person.

From what I see besides bag fees traveling on AA or UA for 2 people would cost about 80K ( or more miles) per trip. We are doing MSP to RSW/TPA/BDL/LAS for under 25k R/T for 2 people on Southwest with 4 checked bags. Sw also has 3 cards so we can get 156K points every 2 years which are worth over 300K using CP. We also earn 2400 points on all our car rentals from Alamo plus 5x points on our INK that we can transfer to SW.

Now add in if prices go down SW lets you get a refund on miles and cancel for free if need be.

We also started this plan in February when we first heard of 5/24

Since February I have applied for a lot of cards so we really don't need any apps from my wife as we have nearly $10k in various gift cards and she has been using my cards to help me with ~ $25K in spends on the cards we signed up for since February.

Since February I got the 100K Surpass, upgraded my regular Hilton AMex to Surpass for another 100K, 3 Southwest cards, 2 Marriott cards, 2 United cards, 1 AA card and a Hyatt card. If you go to Vegas Hyatt gives you free MLIFE Gold status which is very nice, free room offers, comp gaming and food/bev, free parking, separate buffet line, etc

I am finishing up the spends on the 3rd Southwest and Hyatt card and those will be complete by August

At that point I will go back for an AA business, Wyndham cards, Arrival, Hilton Signature Visa,etc,etc but of course I will use a lot of gift cards first.

I will stop my apps around October 2017 and then we will only get cards in my wife's name for 2 years................assuming the rules stay the same

Last edited by mia; Jun 26, 2016 at 12:01 pm Reason: Fix typo.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
It's actually been known that the two cards you applied for are not subject to the 5/24 rule as of yet.
Wait, which 2? CSP and Freedom or IHG and Hyatt?

Didn't ENycSea apply for all 4?

It is so confusing to sort out which cards are under 5/24 and which not. Nearly every page in this thread provides a data point which conflicts with a previous assertion.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Wait, which 2? CSP and Freedom or IHG and Hyatt?

Didn't ENycSea apply for all 4?

It is so confusing to sort out which cards are under 5/24 and which not. Nearly every page in this thread provides a data point which conflicts with a previous assertion.

Hyatt and IHG
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Hyatt and IHG
Well over 5/24, got approved for IHG recently, so that one is still "safe".
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1P
Does Chase include HELOC in the 5/24 calculation? My experian shows that I have opened 5 cards in the last 24 months (excluding authorized user cards). I still got declined for UA Explorer. Is it possible that Chase included my HELOC as the 6th card? Thank you all!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
Does Chase include HELOC in the 5/24 calculation? My experian shows that I have opened 5 cards in the last 24 months (excluding authorized user cards). I still got declined for UA Explorer. Is it possible that Chase included my HELOC as the 6th card? Thank you all!
the rule is 5 or more.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.