Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note:
5/24 is the new application reality at Chase, so this speculation thread is now closed. As of this writing, there are some exceptions, and in-depth discussion is ongoing. To assist you in finding the most current information, please direct application discussions to the "Applying for Chase Cards" thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Further discussion regarding the nuances, exceptions and possible work-arounds to Chase's imposed 5/24 limitations may also be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-strategy.html

==============================================

What is Chase's so-called 5/24 policy?
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 rule?
Print Wikipost

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ENycSea
...Since January I have applied for and received four other Chase cards, two AMEX cards, and one Citi card (7 cards). I also have two store cards opened within the last year.

In case it matters I do not churn.
Good data point; thanks, ENycSea.
Your case suggests that non-churners may not be getting restricted by the 5/24 rule.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:24 pm
Suspended

No, it just means that the IHG and Hyatt cards aren't subject to 5/24 ... yet.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
I forgot to mention I also had a BofA card opened a little over a year ago. So if we go back to the end of March when I applied for the CSP and Freedom I was already at 5/24 and still was approved for both. I was very surprised.

Another weird thing is that I had them move $8k of credit line to get them to approve my IHG card over the phone (I was told to call immediately when I applied). My Hyatt card app (applied the same day) said they would get back to me in 30 days and then it was auto approved....with $31k available credit. They seem stingy at times and way too generous at other times. This puts me at 6 cards opened since January with Chase (two with authorized users) and total available credit of $84k.

Last edited by ENycSea; Jun 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:55 pm

Another Data Point for the 5/24 rule

I don't know by exactly how much, but I'd say I've comfortably exceeded Chase's 5/24 rule in the last 2 years. I didn't even know it existed until I was denied for 2 credit cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred and Marriott Rewards) that I applied for within days of each other.

I was shocked, I'd never been turned down by Chase before...for dozens of Chase cards over the years, then I read about it. I wish I had known earlier...there were still a couple of Chase cards I really wanted!

But 24 months is too long to wait. I won't not apply for other bank's cards just to wait for Chase...

-mac
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And none of those 10 personal cards were from Amex?

Amex cards opened before March 15, 2015 don't count, because they don't show up on credit reports with their true open date (until then, Amex backdated the open date on credit reports to the very first Amex card you ever had).

Also, cards opened just a month or two earlier might not have shown up on credit reports yet. So were any of those 10 that recent?
I looked at my credit report to get the information. It is possible that one credit card hadn't shown while I was applying, but that would have been a 3 month gap. Plus, the card would have had to appear in the few days gap between applying and checking.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by macbravery
I don't know by exactly how much, but I'd say I've comfortably exceeded Chase's 5/24 rule in the last 2 years. I didn't even know it existed until I was denied for 2 credit cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred and Marriott Rewards) that I applied for within days of each other.
Consumer (personal) card or business?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ENycSea
I forgot to mention I also had a BofA card opened a little over a year ago. So if we go back to the end of March when I applied for the CSP and Freedom I was already at 5/24 and still was approved for both. I was very surprised.

Another weird thing is that I had them move $8k of credit line to get them to approve my IHG card over the phone (I was told to call immediately when I applied). My Hyatt card app (applied the same day) said they would get back to me in 30 days and then it was auto approved....with $31k available credit. They seem stingy at times and way too generous at other times. This puts me at 6 cards opened since January with Chase (two with authorized users) and total available credit of $84k.
It's actually been known that the two cards you applied for are not subject to the 5/24 rule as of yet.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
I exceeded 5/24 rule on the CSP, Freedom, Hyatt, and IHG. Only the Hyatt and IHG are not subject to 5/24 yet. The 5/24 was the rule when I applied for the CSP and Freedom.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:49 am

Chase Hyatt

I was given the 30-days decision statement for an app on the Hyatt card about a week ago and haven't heard back yet. In the past, I have been instantly approved for Chase cards. Well above 5/24, so I'm a bit worried, but is the consensus that 5/24 is NOT affecting Hyatt yet? Should I give them a call?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Hyatt isn't under 5/24. Best to wait it out.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Hyatt isn't under 5/24. Best to wait it out.
I was approved after 3 weeks without calling on the Southwest card. I think they are definitely behind compared to normal times.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bou Dam
I was given the 30-days decision statement for an app on the Hyatt card about a week ago and haven't heard back yet. In the past, I have been instantly approved for Chase cards. Well above 5/24, so I'm a bit worried, but is the consensus that 5/24 is NOT affecting Hyatt yet? Should I give them a call?
Wait the 21 days, resist the urge to call.

Call the Auto line if you must.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:58 pm

apparently IHG is under the 5/24 rule now. I applied 3 weeks ago, got a letter saying that too many accounts opened. Called in, they cited the 5/24 rules. Applied for the Hyatt card after the phone call, today, got a call to confirm that I applied for the Hyatt card and immediately approved.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
apparently IHG is under the 5/24 rule now. I applied 3 weeks ago, got a letter saying that too many accounts opened. Called in, they cited the 5/24 rules.
Probably meaningless; lots of false positives with CSRs making [reasons] up. (See wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html.) As long as we continue to have reports of successful apps by 5+/24 applicants, we'll know that a given card is not subject to 5/24.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Probably meaningless; lots of false positives with CSRs making [reasons] up. (See wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html.) As long as we continue to have reports of successful apps by 5+/24 applicants, we'll know that a given card is not subject to 5/24.
Add me as another IHG confirmation. Applied to United, got 5/24 denial letter in mail. Applied for IHG same day I received the letter, approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.