Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UR points for USA to/from Europe [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:02 pm

Thanks for all of that the info. I'll have some time this weekend to do some more thorough searching. I have the trial of EF through the weekend so I can look there.

I guess I should search for each specific segment? Or can I just search DEN-LHR? I assume I'll have to split it up or will EF show mixed-cabin results like the United site? I need to figure out who flies where also so I can maximize my search.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Search DEN-LON and if you see what you want or what fits your needs you're good. IF you want a specific experience you may do better searching individual segments and piecing things together.

Originally Posted by madmike283
Thanks for all of that the info. I'll have some time this weekend to do some more thorough searching. I have the trial of EF through the weekend so I can look there.

I guess I should search for each specific segment? Or can I just search DEN-LHR? I assume I'll have to split it up or will EF show mixed-cabin results like the United site? I need to figure out who flies where also so I can maximize my search.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:04 pm

I'm looking for SFO to FCO august 2018 and when i check united i see zero business saver space. Is it really all gone already? I never had trouble finding business saver space when going to asia even within a month or 2 of leaving. or is there any better option than united?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
High demand period with high demand sector. There are saver level J award flights from FCO to other airports nearish or at least to a gateway.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:45 am

Getting Most out of Ultimate Rewards for MSP to Scotland

Long time thread reader first time poster-

My wife and I are new to the rewards game. We have built up 180k UR and would like to use them on a roughly 2 week trip to Scotland and Ireland. We are based out of Minneapolis, MN. We are thinking of going in the Fall (september-october) but are open to suggestions from more experienced travelers.

Ultimately- we both are a bit overwhelmed by the options for using our rewards points and are looking for some guidance. Suggestions for airlines to look into? hotels?

Really any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 8, 2018 at 9:28 pm Reason: Unsticking post
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @minnesotabt.

Please follow the redirect as we move this to our Chase UR forum.

Sorry about the extended delay. This post got stuck in a queue, and was rather stubborn to free.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

Use Korean miles on Delta for 80k business round trip. Search delta.com for 70k one way or 140k round trip awards for the saver award space that you can then use your Korean miles on.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by PointsTutor
Use Korean miles on Delta for 80k business round trip. Search delta.com for 70k one way or 140k round trip awards for the saver award space that you can then use your Korean miles on.
How does this work? Delta has so many points options since there is no awards charts, how do you know which ones can be booked as saver via Korean?

Also do you still get into the Virgin clubhouse if you are flying JFK to LHR?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Hi all! I'm a relatively newbie user with some basic questions re: using UR points from SFO/SJC to BLQ (Bologna, Italy) the last week of Sept. 2018. We have over 225K UR points (and 25K AmEx points if that matters) but a party of 2 adults and 2 kids so I know the points won't cover the full cost.

What's the most effective use of this points? Ideally, I'd like to use the points to upgrade to Business. I know there's a high risk we won't get the upgrade, but we used 240K points to upgrade our economy plus seats on United last year to Business on a trip to Asia. In another thread, someone said that's wishful thinking for a European leg for 4 travelers in late September. Given that more experienced user's observation, I don't want to get stuck with 240K miles on United if the upgrades don't go through. Is there a better airline you might suggest to try the miles + cash upgrade?? Or should we just use the UR points to buy premium economy seats?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

When I use the Chase travel option, I'm not getting very good options.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: One World Alliance, Chase Sapphire Reserved
USA<>ITALY; Am I doing this correctly?

Please bear with me...I still can't wrap my head around this stuff and my husband is no help.

We have about 73K ultimate rewards points and are trying to maximized them for our trip to Italy this summer. We have to go at a specific time because we have a wedding in Verona.

I was thinking of transferring the points to Virgin Atlantic.

We can fly from JFK - LHR for 40K + $297.80
Then we will take a domestic flight from LHR - FCO (Rome)which I found for $188 TOTAL
So going that we are at 40K miles + $485.80

Then on the way home basically the same thing but from Milan or Verona. But since we don't have enough miles we will probably pay more out of pocket to get home.

Or we can fly Norwegian from EWR - FCO Direct for $639.80 TOTAL - Which now that I'm reading what I wrote it seems like the smarter and simpler way to go.

Then I guess we can fly the Virgin Atlantic way home from Milan or Verona.

However, I have no experience with Norwegian and is there anyway we can us our 73K ultimate rewards points for this flight?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sarabeargoesthere
Please bear with me...I still can't wrap my head around this stuff and my husband is no help.

We have about 73K ultimate rewards points and are trying to maximized them for our trip to Italy this summer. We have to go at a specific time because we have a wedding in Verona.

I was thinking of transferring the points to Virgin Atlantic.

Then we will take a domestic flight from LHR - FCO (Rome)which I found for $188 TOTAL
So going that we are at 40K miles + $485.80

Then on the way home basically the same thing but from Milan or Verona. But since we don't have enough miles we will probably pay more out of pocket to get home.

Or we can fly Norwegian from EWR - FCO Direct for $639.80 TOTAL - Which now that I'm reading what I wrote it seems like the smarter and simpler way to go.

Then I guess we can fly the Virgin Atlantic way home from Milan or Verona.

However, I have no experience with Norwegian and is there anyway we can us our 73K ultimate rewards points for this flight?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Is the Norwegian Air flight cost for round trip tickets?

You can't transfer UR points to Norwegian Air but - if you wanted to - you could pay for the tickets using a Chase card and then redeem your UR points for cash back on your statement (73K points would net you a statement credit of $730.00). Thus, you'd basically pay for your Norwegian tickets using the UR points you have.

(I will note that the 1 cent per point that you get for redeeming cash back is not considered a "good value" redemption amongst most of the members on this forum but it seems to check the box for what you're trying to accomplish, especially given that you're trying to travel during peak travel season.)

Good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:38 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, Diplomatico.

That is a good point about the cashback - we are definitely trying to spend as little as possible. We obviously did not want to go to Italy in the dead of summer during high tourist season. But, alas this is what we do for love and we'll make the best of it.

Unfortunately, the Norwegian flight is just one way to Rome. We would still have to fly back to NYC from either Verona, Venice or Milan.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sarabeargoesthere
... Virgin Atlantic.

Are these prices per person, or for two people?

Do you have any miles or points in other programs?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Speaking of value, it looks like you're deciding between these options:
  1. Use 40K UR points and pay $485.80
  2. Pay $639.80
Option 1 essentially values 40K UR points at $154, which is an extremely poor value. I know you want to minimize costs, but do check whether it makes sense to pay for the both ways with cash and save your points for another time.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:05 pm

We have pretty negligible miles on AA (separate accounts), Delta (separate accounts) & Capital One.

Sara AA - 13,620
Mikey AA - 42,251
Sara Skymiles - 11,992
Mikey Skymiles - 15,703
Capital One - 11,036

Truth be told we take only 1 big trip a year and then smaller US based trips throughout. We definitely don't plan in advance or use our points well. We don't even use or credit cards well.

Anyhow, I realize it makes more sense to pay both ways but try explaining that to my husband. He just wants to spend as little actual money as possible.

These are the dates we are thinking about July 16 - July 30 2018

July 16 : NYC - FCO (fine with JFK,LGA & EWR)

July 30: MXP - NYC (fine with JFK,LGA & EWR)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.