Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by char777
The inflight offer is also still 50,000 miles and appears to have no expiration date. This URL is printed on all the brochures in the seatback pockets, and I doubt those are going away anytime soon:

unitedexplorercard.com/inflightoffer

The link a few posts up is better with the $100 statement credit, but at least the inflight offer appears to be around for a while.
From the application, "You must enter the 6-character promotional code you received from your United representative in order to apply for this offer. If you do not have a code, please enter 999999."

As it reads, no promotional code equals to no (50K) offer. Am I reading that correctly?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Filler03

FlyingHighlander (and others) I successfully paid for a flight with the card but on my reservation online it still shows $30 for first bag. I contacted United via Twitter and they said that it is because I have four ppl on my booking and the free checked bag benefit only applies to me and 1 companion. They said that I would have to pay for bags online and submit reimbursement OR check bag at airport at which point it SHOULD be free.

Anybody have ave any knowledge on this or how to get the reservation to show my free checked bag benefit?
bumping this...any thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
From the application, "You must enter the 6-character promotional code you received from your United representative in order to apply for this offer. If you do not have a code, please enter 999999."

As it reads, no promotional code equals to no (50K) offer. Am I reading that correctly?
I successfully used 999999, got the card, and got the 50k points. I dont think they care about a promo code. At least they didnt back in Sep 2018.
robchow and 808traveler like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Filler03

bumping this...any thoughts?
my only thought is that the advice you were given is probably correct, as much as I disagree with scenario. I have never encountered your specific scenario, but from experience and other comments on here it doesnt seem too unusual (unfortunately) for a baggage allowance stated on a booking to not align with what you are actually entitled to via being a cardholder. I suspect they are probably right in that when you check in you will get your correct entitlement. Defintely unfortunate you have to gamble on that, and potentially have to pay and claim it later. Let us know how it works out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Looks like the 60k offer is dead, chase gives a 404 (not a redirect) if you try to open it

Edit: and the 5k authorized user bonus is gone too. Guess this card has run its course?

Last edited by lensovet; Jan 19, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I have a big spend coming up and would like to garner a spend bonus. This CC seems more appealing now that it comes with Global Entry or Precheck credit and with the 50k link remaining. I'm exSEA and AS and DL are my go-to airlines. Even AA is ahead of UA for frequency. I have a Select that I need to retain for credit history reasons (10 years in my wallet), and it gives 2x on grocery store purchases.

Is there an in-bank promotion on this CC? Anything else to consider before applying?
Ended up going for Barclays Arrival+ with 70k bonus ($700 travel rebate) with $5k spend in the first 3 months. Versatile for my needs.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt
What about I am already a 1K member? Still worth keep the card?

Originally Posted by lax01
Reminder that you have more available award travel when you are have the MP Explorer...that could mean more flexibility when you booking award travel. That coupled with the free checked bags and priority boarding make the $95 worth it to me alone...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Steve001
What about I am already a 1K member? Still worth keep the card?
The only additional benefits the card offers a Premier 1K are award ticket CPUs and the two lounge passes. However, even one CPU is arguably worth $95.
Steve001 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The only additional benefits the card offers a Premier 1K are award ticket CPUs and the two lounge passes. However, even one CPU is arguably worth $95.
Where is it mentioned that cardholders get award ticket CPUs?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by findark
[/left]
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Where is it mentioned that cardholders get award ticket CPUs?
Ya, don't see that benefit (CPU) listed: https://www.theexplorercard.com/40KA...ate=2018-08-16

Here it says says award tix are not eligible for CPUs: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

Last edited by philemer; Feb 2, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by philemer
Ya, don't see that benefit (CPU) listed: https://www.theexplorercard.com/40KA...ate=2018-08-16

Here it says says award tix are not eligible for CPUs: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html
From first link:

The primary Cardmember who is also a MileagePlus Premier® member and traveling on an award ticket can take advantage of Complimentary Premier Upgrades on United-operated flights (when available).
I cleared an award CPU in December, but ultimately canceled the card as I rarely fly domestic award tickets and figure I can also open it (or the Club card) again if I have need.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:04 pm

Yep, you're right. That wasnt mentioned when I applied for my card in Aug. But I see it mentioned when my wife applied for the same card in Nov.

Advertised perk:
Upgrading Award Tickets
The primary Cardmember who has MileagePlus® Premier® status and is traveling on an award ticket is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select United- and United Express-operated flights, subject to availability; travel companions and authorized users are not eligible. Assignment of Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets within each Premier level will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. Chase is not responsible for
the provision of, or failure to provide, the stated benefits. Please visit united.com/upgrades for details on flights eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades and upgrade processing.
Also, from ​http://www.united.com/upgrades​​​​​​:

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United MileagePlus Explorer Card
  • United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
  • United MileagePlus Club Card
  • United MileagePlus Club Business Card
  • United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card
  • United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Business Card
Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

Footnotes

1. Fare class structure in priority order is O, A, R (for upgrades from United® Premium Plus seats to the United Polaris business class cabin) and Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G (for upgrades from United Economy® to the next higher class of service on all aircraft). Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class.
  2. Primary Chase United MileagePlus Cardholders with $25,000 annual spend who have met the Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver will receive upgrade priority through the end of the program year they received the waiver for. For example, if you spend $25,000 on your MileagePlus card in 2018 and book a flight departing in 2019, you will have higher upgrade priority based on your card spend.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So you need a coach award ticket to get a chance at a CPU on those awards?

but it’s only for domestic tickets right?

and you’d have the same odds of getting CPUs as elites do, which is to say low odds from airports like SFO or on high-demand flights like the p.s. transcons?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
So you need a coach award ticket to get a chance at a CPU on those awards?

but it’s only for domestic tickets right?

and you’d have the same odds of getting CPUs as elites do, which is to say low odds from airports like SFO or on high-demand flights like the p.s. transcons?

Yes. For routes where you would otherwise have the opportunity for CPU (most domestic routes if you hold any United status but notably not p.s. flights), the Chase card improves your odds on an Economy award (XN or YN class) from zero to ranking just below a G fare with your status. If you do not have United status, this benefit is moot, but at least the other card benefits aren't useless.

If you have Global Services status, you get this benefit (upgrade award eligibility) even without the card. As a 1K it's just about the only tangible benefit of the card, and it's not hard to use as you're still ahead of all Plats and lower elites for the upgrade, so you can just rely on it for easy-upgrade routes. My real barrier is that finding an Economy award that's more attractive than just paying cash is hard. I usually book them when I would otherwise need a refundable ticket, which means I frequently don't fly them
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:59 am

Noob question- what's a p.s. flight?

As a 1K is it still worth having the card due to the increased award availability it provides, or do 1K's already see that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.