Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Filler03
also, am I correct that I HAVE to book using the Explorer card to get the priority boarding and checked bags?
You don't need to book using the card to get Priority Boarding
You do need to book with the card to qualify for free checked bag.
pallhedge and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by char777
Hi there, so I'm finally canceling my authorized user card on a grandfathered United Mileage Plus Select card and planning to apply for the Explorer card instead. I regret not applying for it in the past when I was invited to and when the bonus was much better (70,000+ bonus miles) than the current one (40,000 plus 25,000 after hitting spend targets). The current promo expires January 8. Do you think the offer will be better or worse than after that date? Should I wait?

Edit: I'm not worried about hitting the 65,000 mile spend target. I certainly could get there, though I'd rather still use my Sapphire card as my primary everyday card.
To answer my own question, the promo did in fact drop down to 40,000 miles, though it looks like you can still get 50,000 miles through the inflight promo (which appears to show up on the ground too).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
You don't need to book using the card to get Priority Boarding
You do need to book with the card to qualify for free checked bag.
I actually called this morning and the CSR offered to cancel my card that was in the works and being mailed regular mail (7-10 days) and send a new card UPS for arrival in 1-2 days.

Note: I received a CSR from the United States and was transfer FROM United to chase.

But thanks FlyingHighlander for the clarificaiton
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there - by chance - any referral bonus for this card?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is there - by chance - any referral bonus for this card?
Existing cardholders get 10,000 pts for each successful referral, with a 50,000 annual cap.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I have a big spend coming up and would like to garner a spend bonus. This CC seems more appealing now that it comes with Global Entry or Precheck credit and with the 50k link remaining. I'm exSEA and AS and DL are my go-to airlines. Even AA is ahead of UA for frequency. I have a Select that I need to retain for credit history reasons (10 years in my wallet), and it gives 2x on grocery store purchases.

Is there an in-bank promotion on this CC? Anything else to consider before applying?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I have a big spend coming up and would like to garner a spend bonus. This CC seems more appealing now that it comes with Global Entry or Precheck credit and with the 50k link remaining. I'm exSEA and AS and DL are my go-to airlines. Even AA is ahead of UA for frequency. I have a Select that I need to retain for credit history reasons (10 years in my wallet), and it gives 2x on grocery store purchases.

Is there an in-bank promotion on this CC? Anything else to consider before applying?
I've always thought it's been a bit of a wash between the Select and the Explorer card. The Select doesn't get all the flashy perks that the Explorer does, but it does have a mildly better earn rate. I'm planning on getting rid of mine soon (for credit reasons) and replacing it with the Explorer card, but if it were up to strictly the benefits of each card, I could have gone either way.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Filler03
I actually called this morning and the CSR offered to cancel my card that was in the works and being mailed regular mail (7-10 days) and send a new card UPS for arrival in 1-2 days.

Note: I received a CSR from the United States and was transfer FROM United to chase.

But thanks FlyingHighlander for the clarificaiton
FlyingHighlander (and others) I successfully paid for a flight with the card but on my reservation online it still shows $30 for first bag. I contacted United via Twitter and they said that it is because I have four ppl on my booking and the free checked bag benefit only applies to me and 1 companion. They said that I would have to pay for bags online and submit reimbursement OR check bag at airport at which point it SHOULD be free.

Anybody have ave any knowledge on this or how to get the reservation to show my free checked bag benefit?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I have a targeted offer 50K after $3K in 3mo AND $100 statement credit after first purchase AND $0 intro annual fee for first year. Has anyone else gotten this offer? Do you know when it expires? I don't see it written anywhere unless I'm missing it.

I mainly want the card because I need to renew GE in July. I have alot of work travel in the next 2mo so I'm not sure I will be able to meet the spend in 3mo. Getting the card later would be easier.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I have a targeted offer 50K after $3K in 3mo AND $100 statement credit after first purchase AND $0 intro annual fee for first year. Has anyone else gotten this offer? Do you know when it expires? I don't see it written anywhere unless I'm missing it.

I mainly want the card because I need to renew GE in July. I have alot of work travel in the next 2mo so I'm not sure I will be able to meet the spend in 3mo. Getting the card later would be easier.
That was the offer around for a while but it disappeared several months ago. Unless of course it's been reintroduced. Where/when exactly did you get this offer?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
That was the offer around for a while but it disappeared several months ago. Unless of course it's been reintroduced. Where/when exactly did you get this offer?
Maybe that means I should apply now.

When booking a ticket, it appears in the ad under the Gold colored "View Account | Sign out" thing in the top right.
https://www.theexplorercard.com/50k100AFWIC

I just tried it now, it prompts me for my MP#, after entering it, it shows the offer

I assume it is targeted if you have to login to see it.

I haven't followed the typical offers for a while. Is this a pretty good one? I generally value cash more than miles. I am unlikely to spend $10K. The card offers no benefits that I don't already have with the exception of upgrade eligibility on award travel and 2 UC passes (that I sometimes struggle to use). I want to sign up now to get my GE renewed for free. In the past UA paid for this, but they cut it. UA also use to provide a $50 credit. I could always get at least a $50 credit every year from chase so the card cost me nothing. I canceled it after UA killed the credit. (It's been over 24mo)

Last edited by eng3; Jan 13, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Maybe that means I should apply now.

When booking a ticket, it appears in the ad under the Gold colored "View Account Sign out" thing in the top right.
https://www.theexplorercard.com/50k100AFWIC

I just tried it now, it prompts me for my MP#, after entering it, it shows the offer

I assume it is targeted if you have to login to see it.

I haven't followed the typical offers for a while. Is this a pretty good one? I generally value cash more than miles. I am unlikely to spend $10K. The card offers no benefits that I don't already have with the exception of upgrade eligibility on award travel and 2 UC passes (that I sometimes struggle to use). I want to sign up now to get my GE renewed for free. In the past UA paid for this, but they cut it. UA also use to provide a $50 credit. I could always get at least a $50 credit every year from chase so the card cost me nothing. I canceled it after UA killed the credit. (It's been over 24mo)
Sure looks like it's been reintroduced. I think the 40K (spending $3k) + 25K bonus (if you spend $10k) has just finished.

I think the offer you linked is about as good as it gets, especially if you wont spend $10k. The $100 statement credit is what makes it good in my opinion. I just missed out on the statement credit when I got mine. The baseline core offer is 40K miles. 50K is good. I think a small group were targeted for 60K when then the card launched but that seemed rare. If I were you I'd jump on the 50K offer with $100 credit.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:56 pm

Sure looks like it's been reintroduced. I think the 40K (spending $3k) + 25K bonus (if you spend $10k) has just finished.

I think the offer you linked is about as good as it gets, especially if you wont spend $10k. The $100 statement credit is what makes it good in my opinion. I just missed out on the statement credit when I got mine. The baseline core offer is 40K miles. 50K is good. I think a small group were targeted for 60K when then the card launched but that seemed rare. If I were you I'd jump on the 50K offer with $100 credit.
For the record, I first saw this offer on Jan 6th

Thanks for the advice.

I actually got 70K when I first signed up in 2013. I remember they awarded me 50K at first. I complained to chase that it was supposed to be 70K and they gave me another 20K. I don't recall having to spend so much either. I THINK I got a $100 credit too that time.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:14 am

I asked chase about this promotion. They stated " please note that the offer is still ongoing since October 9, 2018, and is not set to expire any time soon"
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:14 am

The inflight offer is also still 50,000 miles and appears to have no expiration date. This URL is printed on all the brochures in the seatback pockets, and I doubt those are going away anytime soon:

unitedexplorercard.com/inflightoffer

The link a few posts up is better with the $100 statement credit, but at least the inflight offer appears to be around for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.