Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Thanks. This card is subject to Chase's so-called 5/24 rule, right?
I believe so but I PC’d from the no AF United MP card.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Thanks. I currently have Gold status at United, so the Explorer card isn't doing me a lot of good, other than the expanded award availability (which I haven't actually used yet). Maybe I should PC to the TravelBank, at least while I have United status (?).
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:37 am

With the Explorer card, do you get any benefits on Star Alliance airlines? For example, if I book a Copa flight (ORD - PTY) would I get priority boarding? (I'm guessing the answer is no, I would probably need to book through United with a Copa codeshare.)

Also, if I book a United international flight where I automatically get a free checked bag, does the Explorer card give an additional free bag? (Again, guessing no.)
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by waealu
Also, if I book a United international flight where I automatically get a free checked bag, does the Explorer card give an additional free bag? (Again, guessing no.)
Found my answer to the second question:
"Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary."
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the Explorer card, do you get any benefits on Star Alliance airlines? For example, if I book a Copa flight (ORD - PTY) would I get priority boarding? (I'm guessing the answer is no, I would probably need to book through United with a Copa codeshare.)
I doubt even a codeshare would help, if you're not boarding at a United gate. The fact that you have an Explorer card is communicated by Chase to United and only to United, and it's that communication that enables the benefits at United that come with it. They are United-only-benefits, they are not true status and thus do not transfer to other airlines. Other airlines do not know about the Explorer card or any of its benefits.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

No to both.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Looks like Chase is cutting some insurance benefits from this card. The below benefits will be cut, and aren't shown on the site anymore.
  • Price Protection: If a card purchase you made in the US is advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed the difference up to $500 per item and $2,500 per year.
  • Return Protection: You can be reimbursed for eligible items that the store won’t take back within 90 days of purchase, up to $500 per item and $1,000 per year.
  • Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance: If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather or other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours and hotels.
Updated Chase site (click "Travel & Purchase Coverage"): https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...eplus-explorer

Link to TPG article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-...branded-cards/
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
Looks like Chase is cutting some insurance benefits from this card.
I'd rather see them cut priority boarding than trip cancellation/interruption coverage

That's actually one of the few reasons I ever use this card since I'm now focusing points accrual on transferrable currencies. All my UA purchases will now go on CSP or Amex Plat (yes, no insurance, I know).
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd rather see them cut priority boarding than trip cancellation/interruption coverage

That's actually one of the few reasons I ever use this card since I'm now focusing points accrual on transferrable currencies. All my UA purchases will now go on CSP or Amex Plat (yes, no insurance, I know).
I'm the same way. All purchases on CSP/Amex Plat for point flexibility, even if that means giving up some insurance benefits. I would love to see the cut in Group 2 boarding as well, those lines are huge. However, if that was cut then UA would have to re-do the ad campaign of a couple walking from curb, to empty UA club, through Group 2 boarding onto an empty plane
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:54 am

More changes coming June 1.

Originally Posted by TPG
First, here’s what’s being added to the new card:
  • 2x miles on dining and hotels, in addition to United purchases
  • $100 Global Entry or $85 TSA PreCheck credit
  • 25% off in-flight United purchases, including Wi-Fi, food and beverages
The following benefits will be removed or adjusted:
  • 10,000-mile bonus after spending $25,000 will be removed
  • Trip cancellation coverage will be reduced (details TBA)
  • Price and return protection will be discontinued (details here)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by nall
  • Valuable things being taken away
  • Useless/redundant things being added
What I want to know is...
  1. This is being leaked now for the personal UA MP Explorer card. Will they soon follow with the same devaluation to the UA MP Explorer Business card?
  2. I'm particularly miffed at losing the 10k bonus benefit for spending $25k on the card annually. For those who currently hold these cards, will they honor that benefit for the current calendar year? If not, that really sucks for those of us who have already put significant spend on the card this year.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
What I want to know is...
  1. This is being leaked now for the personal UA MP Explorer card. Will they soon follow with the same devaluation to the UA MP Explorer Business card?
  2. I'm particularly miffed at losing the 10k bonus benefit for spending $25k on the card annually. For those who currently hold these cards, will they honor that benefit for the current calendar year? If not, that really sucks for those of us who have already put significant spend on the card this year.
I'd imagine they will honor the bonus points for spend through your AF. I don't believe legally they could do otherwise.

As for changes... they are a slight positive for me. As a UA 1MM, I was planning to cancel this card when my AF hits. Now I may (albeit unlikely) keep the card. The new Restaurant/Hotel spend at 2x is really one of the only benefits to a UA Gold member - all the rest come with status and I don't need the card to get them.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by nall

Originally Posted by TPG
First, here’s what’s being added to the new card:
  • 2x miles on dining and hotels, in addition to United purchases
  • $100 Global Entry or $85 TSA PreCheck credit
  • 25% off in-flight United purchases, including Wi-Fi, food and beverages
The following benefits will be removed or adjusted:
  • 10,000-mile bonus after spending $25,000 will be removed
  • Trip cancellation coverage will be reduced (details TBA)
  • Price and return protection will be discontinued (details here)

Where did you see GE credit and other benefits? I don't see that on any website and a GE credit for a $95 annual fee is worth it.

Last edited by mia; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:05 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by N104UA
Where did you see GE credit and other benefits? I don't see that on any website and a GE credit for a $95 annual fee is worth it.
It appears to be listed on the TPG post.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...r-credit-card/
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
For me, a net positive. I'll take the 2x dining and the 25% in-flight discount over the 10,000-mile bonus at $25,000 (which I assume will be grandfathered for this year).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.