Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by decillion
I was approved and received a 70k mile sign up bonus in early 2017 for the old version of the Mileageplus Explorer Card. I downgraded it 1 year after (earlier in 2018) to avoid a second annual fee.

It seems they've 'upgraded' or changed it - not sure if it's now a 'new' or different card - and when I logged in online United targeted me online for a 60k mile + $0 annual fee sign up bonus.

I called Chase asking if I was eligible for this sign up bonus again even though it was within 24 months and they said no. But for some reason it's still letting me apply when I click "Get Started" on the application. Would I be at risk of not getting the sign up bonus if I applied? I only want this for the sign up bonus.
It's still the same card according to Chase. It just slightly changed benefits. They didn't change the name (and that's a big clue that they still consider it the same card). The rule is still that it has to be 24+ months since you last earned the bonus for this same card (UA Explorer), and you no longer have the card. You no longer have the card (since you downgraded it), but that doesn't change the fact hat you still have to wait until 24+ months after you got the bonus from the previous card.

It lets you Apply because the online system doesn't evaluate whether you're eligible for the bonus. It is happy to let you waste a pull on being denied, or better yet approve you for a card where you'll go bonus! It's your responsibility to know and follow the rules for getting a sign up bonus if you "only want this for the sign up bonus".

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:22 pm

If I obtain a Mileageplus Explorer Card now and get the 40k or 50k bonus, do I have to wait 24 months to be eligible for another bonus that comes with opening a Mileageplus Club Card (the $450 AF one).

I think I'd like to get the Explorer now, then add (or switch to) the Club if/when I can get a bonus on that.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
If I obtain a Mileageplus Explorer Card now and get the 40k or 50k bonus, do I have to wait 24 months to be eligible for another bonus that comes with opening a Mileageplus Club Card (the $450 AF one).

I think I'd like to get the Explorer now, then add (or switch to) the Club if/when I can get a bonus on that.
Different cards--don't have to wait. i'd probably wait at least a month though between apps.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:43 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
EDIT: Looking through some blog posts, it looks like you have to book your UA tickets WITH your Chase Explorer card to get the bag benefits (unlike with some other airlines). Yikes. If this is true, I guess she needs to get her card before booking. Any expedited solutions? Any virtual cards offered?
This is probably too late to help the poster from several months ago, but I recall there was a workaround.

What you do is before you get your card, but once your account info is available on the Chase customers service portal, you send a Secure Message with some innocuous / harmless question.

In their reply, you will find your credit card number appended as part of the message tracking system. This is actually your credit card number if it has been issued.

UA.com doesn't require the 3 digit CVV, just the expiration date (I believe), and the expiration date can be pretty much guessed by the current month of your application + 2 or 3 years.

I'm not sure if this still works, but someone who is really in need of trying could report back.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
The UA bag benefits rules are a big reason why I WON'T keep the card or fly UA other than when we absolutely have to. If one is using UR or TYP to book fares, they seem to be ticketed with the master card number of the website, even if the customer adds a $5 charge to get their UA Exp card on that booking. For our city/travels it just makes it very hard to justify when other carriers cards are more consumer friendly.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:15 pm

I applied for the card about a week ago. I got the generic "we will notify you via US mail of our decision within 30 days".

I guess I was approved because today I got an email from United with my 2 United Club passes.
Does anyone know if someone else can use the passes - I'm wondering if my wife can use one (while with me using the other).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I applied for the card about a week ago. I got the generic "we will notify you via US mail of our decision within 30 days".

I guess I was approved because today I got an email from United with my 2 United Club passes.
Does anyone know if someone else can use the passes - I'm wondering if my wife can use one (while with me using the other).
Yes, shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind that United sometimes doesn't accept those one-time passes at various lounges due to capacity reasons, renovations, etc. Check the United Club site before going out of your way to visit a particular lounge.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:00 pm

Thanks. I'm unlikely to go too far out of my way to use them. Probably whenever my wife and are are next in IAD. I see it says I need a same day boarding pass, but it doesnt say it needs to be United, so hopefully I can also use them if flying another carrier.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Thanks. I'm unlikely to go too far out of my way to use them. Probably whenever my wife and are are next in IAD. I see it says I need a same day boarding pass, but it doesnt say it needs to be United, so hopefully I can also use them if flying another carrier.
Last I knew, you can.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:51 am

I received my new United Explorer card last week. Today I made a United booking NOT using this card. I used my corporate Amex. However, when I log into my United Mileageplus account i can see the booking and it shows my First checked bag is $0.
I thought you only got the free bag if the flight was paid for with the United Visa. Is this likely to be a mistake, and they'll charge me at the airport?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Where are you flying to/from?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:01 am

IAD-DEN. A plain and simple domestic flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Interesting. Are you sure you didn't book a fare or package that includes a checked bag? I don't recall any reports like this of Explorer cardholders getting a free bag by mistake.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Did you book the ticket using your corporate travel which may include this benefit?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:09 am

I didn't book a fare/package that included a bag. Also, it's not related to my corporate travel - that system is very clear I'll be charge for first/any checked bags (and that's how it's always worked based on personal/team experience).

When I log in and view my reservation it has the table showing $0 for my first bag. However, when I view my actual ticket, it does have $25 as the first bag fee. Strange. It seems as if my reservation/booking is confused and perhaps showing me getting a "free bag" due to my MileagePlus account being linked to my credit card. I'm pretty sure the ticket rules will override that. I do want to check a bag, but it seems that due to this I have no option to pay for that online in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.