Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trouble747
Yes, as long as you haven't had five or more new accounts opened with any bank in the last 24 months.
AMEX Costco is now Citi, will that count as one of the 5?

If I close any of the newly or old opened accounts will that count within the 5/24?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
AMEX Costco is now Citi, will that count as one of the 5?

If I close any of the newly or old opened accounts will that count within the 5/24?
Not sure about the first question but I believe it would only count as one new account. Closing an account shouldn't make a difference for 5/24 purposes.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:38 pm

Math Clarification

So I'm targeted for the 70 + $50 promotion - and Yes I'll qualify.

If I understand this correct, I spend 3K within the 1st week or so (none of it on United Airlines - lets call it 'everyday' spend) I will have a total of 73,000 points after the first billing cycle (thereabouts - whenever they post). This portion is simple and easily understood. ...however,

If I then proceed to spend another 22k (everyday spend) before December 31, 2016, I will receive another 22K points PLUS a 10K point bonus for spending 25k in the current calendar year? for a grand total of 105K points?

Are you sure the "10K" bonus for 25k spend isn't waived for 2016? (since i got a 70k bonus).

Seems awfully generous and the best promotion I think i've seen on this card.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:24 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have a MP Chase Visa "Gold" card dating back pmUA (well over 10 years ago). I was targeted for this and just signed up. Given the number of Chase Choices I have banked (but lack of RDMs to actually redeem them) these 70K miles are basically going to instantly convert into $700 for me as a rebate a recent flight I booked with them. Seemed like a slam dunk for the $95 annual fee.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ntoflp
So I'm targeted for the 70 + $50 promotion - and Yes I'll qualify.

If I understand this correct, I spend 3K within the 1st week or so (none of it on United Airlines - lets call it 'everyday' spend) I will have a total of 73,000 points after the first billing cycle (thereabouts - whenever they post). This portion is simple and easily understood. ...however,

If I then proceed to spend another 22k (everyday spend) before December 31, 2016, I will receive another 22K points PLUS a 10K point bonus for spending 25k in the current calendar year? for a grand total of 105K points?

Are you sure the "10K" bonus for 25k spend isn't waived for 2016? (since i got a 70k bonus).

Seems awfully generous and the best promotion I think i've seen on this card.
You are correct - if you spend 25k on the card in one calendar year, you will get the bonus 10k, irrespective of how much your initial signup bonus was. This is a standard benefit of the card. It's actually not that great if you have a CSP and Freedom Unlimited card, that 22k spend would actually earn you slightly more than if spent on the United card - 33k UR points vs 32k UA miles -- and UR points are more flexible and can be converted to UA miles if/when desired.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: 1K
I have inlaws that use the UA Explorer card. I wanted to use my miles for their upcoming trip in Y... however, they said that they wouldn't receive the benefits of the card. If I pay for the taxes (and use my miles) using their UA Explorer card, will they receive the benefits?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by hookthem
I have inlaws that use the UA Explorer card. I wanted to use my miles for their upcoming trip in Y... however, they said that they wouldn't receive the benefits of the card. If I pay for the taxes (and use my miles) using their UA Explorer card, will they receive the benefits?
United policy would suggest no:

Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../chasebag.aspx

However, I've never tried it, so can't say for certain.
bizum likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:18 pm

My annual fee just hit for my MileagePlus Explorer card and I called to look at my retention offers / try to get the annual fee reimbursed but got offered nothing.

So I have 60 days to cancel the card and get my fee refunded correct? I'm looking to downgrade it if possible to a no annual fee card just so I can keep my AAoA up. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...e-card-review/

Will doing a PC to a different card count as a "new" card app for the 5/24 rule though?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:34 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Originally Posted by aza72
United policy would suggest no:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../chasebag.aspx

However, I've never tried it, so can't say for certain.
I paid for my wife before using the card but she wasn't on the same itinerary as me. Same flight. She did not get free bags
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:35 am
formerly ffactoryxx

Originally Posted by FlyerLoop
My annual fee just hit for my MileagePlus Explorer card and I called to look at my retention offers / try to get the annual fee reimbursed but got offered nothing.

So I have 60 days to cancel the card and get my fee refunded correct? I'm looking to downgrade it if possible to a no annual fee card just so I can keep my AAoA up. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...e-card-review/

Will doing a PC to a different card count as a "new" card app for the 5/24 rule though?
Can i downgrade this card I have had for 3-4 years and then resign back up same day?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
I paid for my wife before using the card but she wasn't on the same itinerary as me. Same flight. She did not get free bags
I don't think my scenario is quite the same. I'm paying using MY miles but THEIR MP credit card for THEIR reservation. I want to know if they will receive the benefits for using their card on the taxes. Thoughts?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:09 pm

A friend of mine is targeted for 70k and got the bonus over two years ago, in 2013. He just canceled his card today. How long should he wait before applying? Does anyone have any experience with doing this?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
A friend of mine is targeted for 70k and got the bonus over two years ago, in 2013. He just canceled his card today. How long should he wait before applying? Does anyone have any experience with doing this?
According to a CS person at Chase, you have to wait 45 days after cancelling a card to apply for the same card again - and get the bonus. I have no experience with this but that's the timeline I was quoted.
And, of course, the 70000 is said to expire June 30 - before 45 days have passed.

Last edited by Mme H; Jun 3, 2016 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:39 pm

Targeted, but...

Has anyone in the last few days - since June 1 - received a 70,000 match to a newly approved 50000 card?

I read of a lot of declines on other forums whether by phone or SM.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by LIH
I have a MP Chase Visa "Gold" card dating back pmUA (well over 10 years ago). I was targeted for this and just signed up. Given the number of Chase Choices I have banked (but lack of RDMs to actually redeem them) these 70K miles are basically going to instantly convert into $700 for me as a rebate a recent flight I booked with them. Seemed like a slam dunk for the $95 annual fee.
United/Chase Choices: probably the least known and never talked-about benefit of having a United CC. I have had a United Select CC for nearly 6 years now and my bank of miles is around 250K so that's $2500 that I can use to pay for a ticket when I really want to travel somewhere but United is being stingy with availability. Over the years I have probably redeem about a third of my miles through the Choices option. Many times even if there is availability, if the ticket is cheap enough it will actually cost less miles by buying the ticket up front with the United CC and redeeming those miles afterwards. And you get EQM's and RDM's as a bonus. My United Select CC gets me 3x miles on United purchases, so that sweetens the deal even more.

Last edited by eknock007; Jun 3, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.