Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This is the general 2016-2019 thread for weighing the relative merits
of keeping, downgrading, or canceling Chase-issued credit cards.

Post-2019 discussion continues in this thread.

What's the main reason people product change (PC)?
The benefits offered by a particular card, might suit you better than the card you are holding. Many people, unable to qualify for a new Chase Sapphire Reserve application, upgraded from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve, because the benefits of the CSR's cash reimbursements made the annual fee a nominal difference the first year. And vice versa- the onerous $450 yearly fee of the CSR makes an appealing case to downgrade to the Sapphire Preferred, and eventually to the no-fee Sapphire or a Freedom card.

Many people product change to avoid the annual fees on the premium versions of the card. Keeping the card open, via a product change, keeps the account open. This allows you to retain the seasoned account, and the banking relationship that the older card has established with Chase.

Why not just cancel the card and be done with it?
This may be the right choice for you, but others want some of the card benefits without having to reapply. Also, Chase has become very restrictive for new card applicants. For Chase cards, you must wait 24- 48 months since the last time you received a bonus before reapplying. Please see the threads on the individual cards for updated overlay rules.

An additional (and more stringent) overlay is the infamous 5/24 rule, which Chase instituted in May 2016 as a counter-measure against churning, or, as they refer to it, "Serial Starters." The 5/24 rule is that you won't be eligible for most Chase card products if you've opened more than 5 credit cards in 24 months. For more on this and other application-related issues, see the current "Applying for Chase Credit Cards " Master thread.

Finally, canceling certain cards--those earning Chase Ultimate Rewards--may deprive you of the ability to exchange UR for miles/points in air & hotel programs. See Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, times & rules.

Is there any way I can keep a card without paying the annual fee?
See Chase Retention Bonuses: June 2015-Present

Are there any restrictions on product changes?
Product changes are only allowed within the same card "family," and are not permitted between business and personal cards. Also, Chase cites the federal CARD Act to deny product changes on any account less that one year old.

Will a product change count as a new card?
No, you will keep your same card number, "opened on" date, credit line, automatic payment arrangements, etc. A product change does not count against Chase's 5/24 limitations on new cards.

Will I get a signup bonus when I change?
No, product changes do not result in point bonuses. Signup bonuses are reserved for new applicants only. For the complete list of public sign up offers, check the Chase sitemap here: https://creditcards.chase.com/sitemap

Is there a place I can look to compare cards?
Go here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...D=177087865887
Click: All cards
Place a checkmark in the Compare box for up to three cards.
Click: Compare cards...and you should see a side-by-side display.

I've figured out what I want to switch to. How do I product change my card?
Call the number on the back of your card.

Product changes for the Ultimate Reward Business and Personal Card Family

The UR family of cards includes the Chase Ink business cards, the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom Card, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Reserve and Sapphire.

The Slate (personal) card is also available to downgrade to. It has no annual fee and does not earn any type of reward points. It offers a low fee (currently 0% for the first 60 days) balance transfers and APR.

Personal Cards
  • Freedom: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories up to $1500 spend per quarter. If you max out the $1500 every quarter, it totals 7500 UR per quarter, or 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Unlimited: 1.5X for all spending, no bonus categories. $20,000 in spend would net 30,000 UR per year.
  • Sapphire Reserve: $450 annual fee, $300 annual travel credit, 3X points for travel and dining. Books travel through the UR portal for 1.5 per dollar. Lounge access and other goodies. See the thread here for details.
  • Sapphire Preferred: $95 annual fee, 2X points for travel & dining
  • Sapphire: Not available to new applicants. Available as a product downgrade/change only, must tier down from the Sapphire Reserve to Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire or Freedom cards. No annual fee. Some Customer Service Reps are citing that the original product (i.e., the CSR), must be held for one year before downgrading. Please provide data points in the thread if this happens to you.

Business Cards
  • Ink Plus: $95 annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and hotels
  • Ink Preferred: 3x on travel, shipping, internet/phone/cable, & some online advertising.
  • Ink Cash: No annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and restaurants

If you still have a legacy Ink Classic or Ink Bold business card, neither of which is available for new signups, you can product change to one of the other Ink cards.

Considerations for downgrading/upgrading:

Can I combine my UR points?
Yes, UR can be combined freely across the cardholder's own personal and business accounts.

What about transfering my UR to another person's Chase UR account? To their air/hotel partner account?
With restrictions, UR from a personal card can be transferred to a person living at the same address. Business cards allow transfer to owners of the company listed as authorized users.

However, be warned that there are transfer restrictions. Unauthorized transfers have resulted in shut-downs. Review the Chase T&C for details before planning a transfer. For discussion, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html.

The Freedom cards, no-fee Ink Cash, and no-fee Sapphire cards do not allow UR transfer to airline/hotel partners. If you are downgrading from a premium UR card and will only have no-fee cards left, it may be prudent to transfer your points to the partner of your choice beforehand.

I know I can use UR to pay for travel directly (as opposed to transfering points into a travel partner program). Do the Chase UR cards differ on this?
Only the Sapphire Reserve books travel on the UR portal for 1.5. So you can stack your card bonus opportunities when your UR points are combined into your CSR account and used for booking travel. If, for instance, you earned 5x on your Ink Plus on your phone bill, and combine those 5x Ink earned points into your CSR's UR account, you'll now get an additional .5 in value when you redeem them on the travel portal.

Product Changes for United Airlines Cards

There are options to downgrade or upgrade UA cards.
  • United Mileage Plus Card- no annual fee, 1 UA mile per $2 in spend
  • United Mileage Plus Explorer Card- $95 annual fee, 1 mile per dollar earning, additional award inventory on UA, free checked bag, 25% bonus on the shopping portal.
  • United Plus Club Card- $450 annual fee, 1.5 miles per $1, many additional premium card benefits
  • Business Cards for the Mileage Plus and Club Card give you a choice to upgrade or downgrade between those two.

Southwest Airlines Cards

The difference here is a nominal $30/3000 points per year.

Personal cards
  • Plus Card- $69 annual fee, 3000 bonus points upon renewal
  • Premiere Card- $99 annual fee, 6000 bonus points upon renewal
The Business cards also have a Plus and Premiere version.
Print Wikipost

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by RNE
There is no basis for a conclusion dependent upon prescience. Any cardholder could receive a retention offer. Period.
And his odds are approximately .000001% that he will receive a retention offer.

So what I'm saying is there is a chance.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am trying to downsize our credit card "collection."
Lots of good ones to keep but several are not working for us any longer...but unsure what to do about it!
Prime example -Southwest - my business card provides us with companion so will keep of course.
My husband has a personal and business southwest cards that we don't even use.
However, he has had these for over 10 years I'm sure...so I'm a little worried that his 800+ rating might take a big hit for just closing them.
Is there a way to downgrade a branded card like Southwest- Hyatt - Marriott?
At this point, there are actually 4 cards I would like to close (all on hubbys name).
2 are business (southwest and marriott ) and 2 are personal (southwest and hyatt). Should that make any difference in my decision making?
Would it be better to do them one at a time and if so how long between closures should I wait?
Sorry for the long post.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by cece4
I am trying to downsize our credit card "collection."
Lots of good ones to keep but several are not working for us any longer...but unsure what to do about it!
Prime example -Southwest - my business card provides us with companion so will keep of course.
My husband has a personal and business southwest cards that we don't even use.
However, he has had these for over 10 years I'm sure...so I'm a little worried that his 800+ rating might take a big hit for just closing them.
Is there a way to downgrade a branded card like Southwest- Hyatt - Marriott?
At this point, there are actually 4 cards I would like to close (all on hubbys name).
2 are business (southwest and marriott ) and 2 are personal (southwest and hyatt). Should that make any difference in my decision making?
Would it be better to do them one at a time and if so how long between closures should I wait?
Sorry for the long post.
You should always have at least 1 or 2 no AF cards in your portfolio that you keep forever to help your average credit line length. For me it is the basic HHonors Amex and Chase Freedom. I'll probably CP to CFU this year as well and keep that card. Be careful to use those cards at least every once in a while or the bank might cancel them - that happened to my Citi HHonors Visa.

As long as you have such in your portfolio you should be OK closing the AF cards that you don't use with little effect on your credit score. But on the SW cards be sure to call in and ask for retention offers - there are a lot of reports of users getting large or full AF credits every year on that card.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:39 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
And his odds are approximately .000001%.
Wrong! The odds are .000002%. That's still worth a 5-minute telephone call.

RNE, urging cardholders to give it a try (or two... or three). I always do. ^
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
You should always have at least 1 or 2 no AF cards in your portfolio that you keep forever to help your average credit line length.
Good advice. Here's some more.
  • Have a no-AF card from at least two different financial institutions (especially if you MS) lest a shutdown occur.
  • Be sure to put periodic spend on all your no-AF cards. You don't want the bank to close them for inactivity.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RNE
Good advice. Here's some more.
  • Have a no-AF card from at least two different financial institutions (especially if you MS) lest a shutdown occur.
  • Be sure to put periodic spend on all your no-AF cards. You don't want the bank to close them for inactivity.
Little to no manufactured spend (silly me, I had to actually look up what MS stood for!!)- we are lucky to own a retail business and buy inventory on credit cards as much as we are able.
You know I don't think either of us has a single no-AF card other than Kohls LOL!

Hubbys wallet:
Amex Plat Business - +/- 10 years old (only card that is memorized so likely will never get rid of LOL-use most of the benefits so worth it)
Amex Starwood Business - +/- 10 years old (Starwood Gold for life - only a couple years away from Plat for life-dammit!!)
Amex Starwood Personal - +/- 10 years old (helps with above)
Chase Ink BOLD "Legacy" Business- +/- 5 years -keep for the 5x office supply/internet/phone
Chase Hyatt Personal - - may get rid of (got for signup bonus-free night at cat 1-4 is not enough reason to keep since we work hard to make/keep SPG Plat)
Chase Southwest Personal - +/- 10years old - may get rid of (see above)
Chase Southwest Business - +/- 10 years old - may get rid of (earn companion from my card)
Chase Marriott Business - +/-5 years old - $45 version-(no free night may get rid of-used to get Marriott plat with spend-but since Plat with them via SPG no need for this)

Citi AA Business -
+/-1 year old - may let this one go -not even sure of benefits - got for sign up bonus only.
Cap 1 Personal - +/- 5 years old - may downgrade this to no fee to be able to not lose accumulated points

Comment on hubbys list - When underlining the cards that I am thinking of getting rid of, I realized that I would be getting rid of most all of his Chase cards...probably not a wise move. Need to rethink this!!

My wallet:
Chase "Legacy" United (orig Continental) Presidential Plus Business +/- 10 years old - LOVE it - the one I use to get Platinum each year
Chase Southwest Business +/- 10 years old-LOVE IT - the one we use to get companion first couple months each year
Chase Ink Business PLUS "Legacy" +/- 5 years old - keep for the 5x office supply/internet/phone-although same perks on Ed's BOLD-maybe should get rid of this one?? (used to pay cell bill on here but moved to Preferred for the replacement protection)
Chase Ink Preferred Business +/- 2 years old - keep for the 3x freight/social media advertising
Cap 1 Business +/- 5 years old -could get rid of or downgrade it?
Chase Sapphire Reserve Personal - 2 months old - LOVING IT
BOA Travel Rewards Business #1 - NF-I LIED - We do have a NF Card!!!
BOA Travel Rewards Business #2 -NF- I LIED AGAIN -In fact we have 2 of them!!! (although through same bank)

Now you may see why we need to purge!
This was a FANTASTIC Excercise for me even if no one here reads or responds...really made me think!! (although I really hope someone does respond on any point as I'd like to be reassured that my thinking is not too far off base!)

Last edited by cece4; Jan 11, 2018 at 3:26 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by cece4
Little to no manufactured spend (silly me, I had to actually look up what MS stood for!!)- we are lucky to own a retail business and buy inventory on credit cards as much as we are able.
You know I don't think either of us has a single no-AF card other than Kohls LOL!

Hubbys wallet:

Chase Ink BOLD "Legacy" Business- +/- 5 years -keep for the 5x office supply/internet/phone

Comment on hubbys list - When underlining the cards that I am thinking of getting rid of, I realized that I would be getting rid of most all of his Chase cards...probably not a wise move. Need to rethink this!!

My wallet:
Chase "Legacy" United (orig Continental) Presidential Plus Business +/- 10 years old - LOVE it - the one I use to get Platinum each year
Chase Southwest Business +/- 10 years old-LOVE IT - the one we use to get companion first couple months each year
Chase Ink Business PLUS "Legacy" +/- 5 years old - keep for the 5x office supply/internet/phone-although same perks on Ed's BOLD-maybe should get rid of this one?? (used to pay cell bill on here but moved to Preferred for the replacement protection)
Chase Ink Preferred Business +/- 2 years old - keep for the 3x freight/social media advertising
Cap 1 Business +/- 5 years old -could get rid of or downgrade it?
Chase Sapphire Reserve Personal - 2 months old - LOVING IT

Now you may see why we need to purge!
This was a FANTASTIC Excercise for me even if no one here reads or responds...really made me think!! (although I really hope someone does respond on any point as I'd like to be reassured that my thinking is not too far off base!)
You could downgrade both Ink cards to the Ink Cash, and keep the CSR for transferablity. That will save you $95 x2.
For myself, I'd take a look at each card and see if there's a version that the bank will let you downgrade to for free, just to keep the banking relationships open. For instance, the Citi AA card can be downgraded to a no fee Bronze (1 mile per $2, but you're not using the card anyway).
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:35 am

PC from CF to CFU. I had previously activated the 1Q 5x offers on the CF card. Made an Apple Pay transaction shortly after the change and noticed I received a total of 5.5x UR on the transaction.

Name:  Screen_Shot_2018-01-14_at_11_32_54_AM.jpg
Views: 3767
Size:  95.7 KB

Separate DP, I applied for the CSR a couple of days later and was approved after two days of pending. I had done this PC and added myself as an AU to my wife's CF card.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:38 pm

Hi All,
If I convert my CSP to CSR in the middle of my CSP membership year, how does chase calculate the annual fee for the new card?
Is it going to be (0.5 CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF), and the renewal date would be 6months from the conversion date? OR is it going to be the (full CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF) and renewal would be a year from the conversion date? If it is the former, will I have $150 travel credit for the first 6 months, then $300 at the renewal?
Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
I'm looking to get a CSR. I'd had a CSP for years, and I meet the 5/24 rule, so late in December I product changed the CSP to a Freedom Unlimited (to get away from Chase not allowing you to have multiple cards in the Sapphire category).

Has anyone done this, and if so, any idea how long I should wait to apply for a CSR to maximize my chances of getting approved? I've had the new Unlimited card in-hand for a couple of weeks.

My other smaller concern is that the product changed Freedom Unlimited has a hilariously high credit limit - if I don't get auto approved, have people had luck calling to move around credit (from my old card to a new CSR) to get manually approved?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BrianFellows
Has anyone done this....!
Discussion here:

​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA
Do you get a full annual fee refund if product changing within 60 days from the date the annual fee is charged (always the 1st of the month) or 60 days from the date of the statement in which the annual fee is charged (could be as late as the 28th)? My CSR AF posted December 1, but statement didn't close until December 19. Do I have 60 days from December 1 or December 19 to get a full refund when product changing to a Freedom?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by junks2010
Hi All,
If I convert my CSP to CSR in the middle of my CSP membership year, how does chase calculate the annual fee for the new card?
Is it going to be (0.5 CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF), and the renewal date would be 6months from the conversion date? OR is it going to be the (full CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF) and renewal would be a year from the conversion date? If it is the former, will I have $150 travel credit for the first 6 months, then $300 at the renewal?
Thanks.
Anyone?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by junks2010
Hi All,
Thanks.
I doubt any one has any experience with this. Most people would never do this just because they would not want to give up the sign up bonus. Why not cancel the CSP and then sign up for the CSR?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I doubt any one has any experience with this. Most people would never do this just because they would not want to give up the sign up bonus. Why not cancel the CSP and then sign up for the CSR?
Just got the CSP bonus a year ago, so I will not qualify for the CSR bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.