Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This is the general 2016-2019 thread for weighing the relative merits
of keeping, downgrading, or canceling Chase-issued credit cards.

Post-2019 discussion continues in this thread.

What's the main reason people product change (PC)?
The benefits offered by a particular card, might suit you better than the card you are holding. Many people, unable to qualify for a new Chase Sapphire Reserve application, upgraded from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve, because the benefits of the CSR's cash reimbursements made the annual fee a nominal difference the first year. And vice versa- the onerous $450 yearly fee of the CSR makes an appealing case to downgrade to the Sapphire Preferred, and eventually to the no-fee Sapphire or a Freedom card.

Many people product change to avoid the annual fees on the premium versions of the card. Keeping the card open, via a product change, keeps the account open. This allows you to retain the seasoned account, and the banking relationship that the older card has established with Chase.

Why not just cancel the card and be done with it?
This may be the right choice for you, but others want some of the card benefits without having to reapply. Also, Chase has become very restrictive for new card applicants. For Chase cards, you must wait 24- 48 months since the last time you received a bonus before reapplying. Please see the threads on the individual cards for updated overlay rules.

An additional (and more stringent) overlay is the infamous 5/24 rule, which Chase instituted in May 2016 as a counter-measure against churning, or, as they refer to it, "Serial Starters." The 5/24 rule is that you won't be eligible for most Chase card products if you've opened more than 5 credit cards in 24 months. For more on this and other application-related issues, see the current "Applying for Chase Credit Cards " Master thread.

Finally, canceling certain cards--those earning Chase Ultimate Rewards--may deprive you of the ability to exchange UR for miles/points in air & hotel programs. See Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, times & rules.

Is there any way I can keep a card without paying the annual fee?
See Chase Retention Bonuses: June 2015-Present

Are there any restrictions on product changes?
Product changes are only allowed within the same card "family," and are not permitted between business and personal cards. Also, Chase cites the federal CARD Act to deny product changes on any account less that one year old.

Will a product change count as a new card?
No, you will keep your same card number, "opened on" date, credit line, automatic payment arrangements, etc. A product change does not count against Chase's 5/24 limitations on new cards.

Will I get a signup bonus when I change?
No, product changes do not result in point bonuses. Signup bonuses are reserved for new applicants only. For the complete list of public sign up offers, check the Chase sitemap here: https://creditcards.chase.com/sitemap

Is there a place I can look to compare cards?
Go here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...D=177087865887
Click: All cards
Place a checkmark in the Compare box for up to three cards.
Click: Compare cards...and you should see a side-by-side display.

I've figured out what I want to switch to. How do I product change my card?
Call the number on the back of your card.

Product changes for the Ultimate Reward Business and Personal Card Family

The UR family of cards includes the Chase Ink business cards, the Freedom Unlimited, the Freedom Card, and the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Reserve and Sapphire.

The Slate (personal) card is also available to downgrade to. It has no annual fee and does not earn any type of reward points. It offers a low fee (currently 0% for the first 60 days) balance transfers and APR.

Personal Cards
  • Freedom: 5X points in rotating quarterly categories up to $1500 spend per quarter. If you max out the $1500 every quarter, it totals 7500 UR per quarter, or 30,000 UR per year.
  • Freedom Unlimited: 1.5X for all spending, no bonus categories. $20,000 in spend would net 30,000 UR per year.
  • Sapphire Reserve: $450 annual fee, $300 annual travel credit, 3X points for travel and dining. Books travel through the UR portal for 1.5 per dollar. Lounge access and other goodies. See the thread here for details.
  • Sapphire Preferred: $95 annual fee, 2X points for travel & dining
  • Sapphire: Not available to new applicants. Available as a product downgrade/change only, must tier down from the Sapphire Reserve to Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire or Freedom cards. No annual fee. Some Customer Service Reps are citing that the original product (i.e., the CSR), must be held for one year before downgrading. Please provide data points in the thread if this happens to you.

Business Cards
  • Ink Plus: $95 annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and hotels
  • Ink Preferred: 3x on travel, shipping, internet/phone/cable, & some online advertising.
  • Ink Cash: No annual fee, 5X office supplies, 5X cellular/landline/cable; 2X gas and restaurants

If you still have a legacy Ink Classic or Ink Bold business card, neither of which is available for new signups, you can product change to one of the other Ink cards.

Considerations for downgrading/upgrading:

Can I combine my UR points?
Yes, UR can be combined freely across the cardholder's own personal and business accounts.

What about transfering my UR to another person's Chase UR account? To their air/hotel partner account?
With restrictions, UR from a personal card can be transferred to a person living at the same address. Business cards allow transfer to owners of the company listed as authorized users.

However, be warned that there are transfer restrictions. Unauthorized transfers have resulted in shut-downs. Review the Chase T&C for details before planning a transfer. For discussion, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html.

The Freedom cards, no-fee Ink Cash, and no-fee Sapphire cards do not allow UR transfer to airline/hotel partners. If you are downgrading from a premium UR card and will only have no-fee cards left, it may be prudent to transfer your points to the partner of your choice beforehand.

I know I can use UR to pay for travel directly (as opposed to transfering points into a travel partner program). Do the Chase UR cards differ on this?
Only the Sapphire Reserve books travel on the UR portal for 1.5. So you can stack your card bonus opportunities when your UR points are combined into your CSR account and used for booking travel. If, for instance, you earned 5x on your Ink Plus on your phone bill, and combine those 5x Ink earned points into your CSR's UR account, you'll now get an additional .5 in value when you redeem them on the travel portal.

Product Changes for United Airlines Cards

There are options to downgrade or upgrade UA cards.
  • United Mileage Plus Card- no annual fee, 1 UA mile per $2 in spend
  • United Mileage Plus Explorer Card- $95 annual fee, 1 mile per dollar earning, additional award inventory on UA, free checked bag, 25% bonus on the shopping portal.
  • United Plus Club Card- $450 annual fee, 1.5 miles per $1, many additional premium card benefits
  • Business Cards for the Mileage Plus and Club Card give you a choice to upgrade or downgrade between those two.

Southwest Airlines Cards

The difference here is a nominal $30/3000 points per year.

Personal cards
  • Plus Card- $69 annual fee, 3000 bonus points upon renewal
  • Premiere Card- $99 annual fee, 6000 bonus points upon renewal
The Business cards also have a Plus and Premiere version.
Print Wikipost

Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I am considering downgrading my CSR to a freedom this spring. I have an Ink Preferred (3x travel) and the Aspire (Priority Pass). Sound reasonable?

If I downgrade my CSR to a Freedom, can I later upgrade an old Freedom Unlimited to CSR. I would like the option to upgrade in order to use the portal.

PS International restaurant spend would be earning 2.25%. I would not be using the CSR for domestic restaurant spend.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:38 pm

Best option after 1 year for a credit card with annual fee

Hi,

Have a question regarding the best option after 1 year for a card opened for new card bonus which has an annual fee.

Close after 1 year/Downgrade to a no fee card/Any other options?

In case there is no spend after initial spend is done.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Call the card issuer and ask for a retention offer.

And this strategy applies regardless of whether one engages in manufactured-spend activity.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Call the card issuer and ask for a retention offer.

And this strategy applies regardless of whether one engages in manufactured-spend activity.
Underatand that calling the card issuer is the first step. My question was in case there is no retention offer. What is better? Closing card or changing it to a no-fee card?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
If I downgrade my CSR to a Freedom, can I later upgrade an old Freedom Unlimited to CSR. I would like the option to upgrade in order to use the portal.
This can be done, but don't make a habit of it.

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
PS International restaurant spend would be earning 2.25%.
With which card?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by amitgu

Underatand that calling the card issuer is the first step. My question was in case there is no retention offer. What is better? Closing card or changing it to a no-fee card?
Closing card can impact the credit score as overall limits will be reduced and also average age of accounts gets reduced.
Changing to no fee card is possible would be a better option IF you don't want to alter the above, but YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

What card are you referring to and have you called for a retention offer yet?

As always, the answer to your question is "it depends". With some cards you can cancel and then reapply again later & get another bonus. But with some cards you cannot do that w/o waiting 1>4 yrs. It's better for your FICO score to downgrade to a no fee card & then keep it forever.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The answer is it depends. It depends on the card itself and the role that card plays in your portfolio strategy.

The card itself matters because certain cards, like Amex Hilton Honors, offer a bonus to upgrade again after a year. I've done that once with a legacy Surpass card and will try it again later this year rather than canceling it.

It also matters if the card has any benefits, including the rewards rates on ordinary spend, that you will use. For example, I keep Chase IHG at least an extra year because the $49 AF is well compensated by the free night cert. I've also kept my Chase Southwest card a second year because I'm a Southwest FF and like the points earning on bonus-category spend.

Finally, it matters what role the card plays in your portfolio. To help keep your credit score-- and thus your ability to keep playing the churning game-- high you need "anchor" cards with long history in your portfolio. If you don't have at least one anchor card open for several years already, consider PCing to a no-AF card instead of closing your account.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The answer is it depends. It depends on the card itself and the role that card plays in your portfolio strategy.

The card itself matters because certain cards, like Amex Hilton Honors, offer a bonus to upgrade again after a year. I've done that once with a legacy Surpass card and will try it again later this year rather than canceling it.

It also matters if the card has any benefits, including the rewards rates on ordinary spend, that you will use. For example, I keep Chase IHG at least an extra year because the $49 AF is well compensated by the free night cert. I've also kept my Chase Southwest card a second year because I'm a Southwest FF and like the points earning on bonus-category spend.

Finally, it matters what role the card plays in your portfolio. To help keep your credit score-- and thus your ability to keep playing the churning game-- high you need "anchor" cards with long history in your portfolio. If you don't have at least one anchor card open for several years already, consider PCing to a no-AF card instead of closing your account.
Its the chase Ink business preferred card. It has an annual fee of $95. Make sense to close or downgrade? Don't use the card and benefits are not worth $95 to me.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:13 pm

Personally i would downgrade if it was an option. It also depends on how many credit cards you are comfortable with having.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Its the chase Ink business preferred card. It has an annual fee of $95. Make sense to close or downgrade? Don't use the card and benefits are not worth $95 to me.
I would downgrade to the Chase Ink Business Cash Or the Chase Ink Business Unlimited. But YMMV
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
I am in a peculiar situation.
Signed up for plastiq 1.75% fee during promotion Ink Preferred coded as 3x , now i do not see point of paying annual fee , is it possible to keep the same credit card number with downgrade?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
I am in a peculiar situation.
Signed up for plastiq 1.75% fee during promotion Ink Preferred coded as 3x , now i do not see point of paying annual fee , is it possible to keep the same credit card number with downgrade?
yes but the expiration will change
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
This can be done, but don't make a habit of it.
[removed snark] Chase now looks into people's history to decide whether a downgrade is allowed.

Read on non English site that someone is told no downgrade is allowed (prompted by the system?) before 12 months are up on the existing card...

[removed snark] Looks to me even the downgrade route to get partial refund of AF in 1st year now is being looked at too...

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 22, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Removed snark and overly personal commentary
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Seems you are unaware of what the Ink cards are capable of earning and only chase the SUB. The Ink Cash would be my choice, in fact you could apply for one now if under 5/24 and still product chance the existing Ink to a Cash giving you 2.

Potential 250k UR points per year ea card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.