Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
delete

Last edited by incognitoMD; Apr 6, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Originally Posted by holocker
I sent Chase an SM regarding points transfer to a spouse and this is the answer I got.

? You can transfer points to a frequent travel account
belonging to yourself, or an owner of the company who is
listed as an authorized user on the credit card account.
? Once they transfer points to an authorized user, that
person will be the only authorized user on the account
eligible to receive point transfers for the remainder of
the calendar year.

Point transfer is a travel rewards benefit that allows
customers who are earning points or miles through an
airline or hotel frequent travel program to transfer Chase
Ultimate Rewards points into their frequent travel program
account
? You will need to enter the frequent travel account
number that matches the name they are transferring to
? The name on the Chase card must match the name on the
frequent travel account
? Names for partner points transfer are not editable
? When transferring to someone other than yourself, the
designated household member or business owner will need to
be listed as an Authorized User on the card account
? A household member is a family member who has the same
permanent address as the customer
? The Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer feature is
designed to allow customers to take advantage of the
rewards they earn
? It is not intended to allow transfers to third parties
? Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other
abuse of the Chase Ultimate Rewards program may result in
suspension or termination of the ability to participate in
the program or forfeiture of points already earned.
This is really, really important! I ran into this issue myself.

A month ago I topped up a family members WN account with 1,000 UR->RR points to avoid expiration.

Yesterday I attempted to transfer 6,000 UR points to my BA and received the dreaded special handling message. So I called Chase and was informed of the same information as quoted above from holocker.

Note that this is with my Ink Bold biz card, with my family member (with same last name) added as an AU/employee card. Perhaps these nuances are product specific, as reports of these restrictions up-thread don't seem to mention this detail.

I worked around it by designating my BA account as Head-of-Household and creating a new BA account for my family member. That allowed transferring the UR to their BA account which then allowed me to combine with the 2,000 Avios that I had previously in my account in order to book the 7,500 ticket.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:55 am

Adding AUs to enable point transfers

A very good friend of mine has the UR points I need, and I may have the Avios he needs.
An easy way would be for him to book my awards and for me to book his, but KE (a booking I need) only allows awards for family members.
What's the downside to him adding me as an AU on his CC and transferring his URs to my KE or Hyatt?
Unauthorized use is not a risk here.
And do the same rules apply to AmEx?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:42 am

Have you verified that you would be able to transfer his UR points by adding you as an AU? I don't think it works that way but can't say for certain.

Originally Posted by stevento
And do the same rules apply to AmEx?
Don't assume different creditors and rewards programs to be the same. You'd have to verify with AmEx and the respective rewards program. I don't think adding an AU enables transfers like you imagine for AmEx either.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved stevento 's question into the established thread discussing this exact question.

Chase Ultimate Rewards has slightly different rules for personal versus business cards. The rules are frequently discussed in this thread, but there are requirements in addition to Authorized User status. Summary from chase.com:

For Consumer Card accounts, you may only transfer points to yourself or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.

For Business Card accounts, you may only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.
American Express Membership Rewards does permit transfers to the airline or hotel accounts of supplementary cardholders. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have moved stevento 's question into the established thread discussing this exact question.

Chase Ultimate Rewards has slightly different rules for personal versus business cards. The rules are frequently discussed in this thread, but there are requirements in addition to Authorized User status. Summary from chase.com:

American Express Membership Rewards does permit transfers to the airline or hotel accounts of supplementary cardholders. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html
For personal cards I thought you could transfer to your spouse in same household without him being an a/ u.
Is this not correct?

Last edited by felicity5; Apr 15, 2016 at 5:05 pm Reason: Clarification .....I'm talking about the C S P
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by felicity5
For personal cards I thought you could transfer to your spouse in same household without him being an a/ u.
Is this not correct?
You can transfer to your spouse's Ultimate Rewards account, but this discussion is about transferring to the spouse's airline or hotel account. Transferring to a spouse's UR account is a good solution provided the spouse holds a card which is eligible to transfer to airlines or hotels.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:54 pm

UR transfer to Spouse's United?

Can I send part of the UR points to mine and remainder to spouse's United?

If not can I transfer to Spouse's UR a/c and from there transfer to spouse's United?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:31 am

She has to become an authorized user in your CC account, then you can transfer as you wish.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mikex163
She has to become an authorized user in your CC account, then you can transfer as you wish.
Can I then transfer to her UR a/c from my UR and then to United?

Also, what are some good things to do avoid the annual fee - I have the Biz Ink card?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:36 am

No need to add her as an AU if she also has a UR account, and a premium card (CSP, Ink, etc.) that allows you to transfer points to FF programs.

Go to your UR account. Hover over your points balance, and click "combine points" from the dropdown menu. Click "add household member", enter her card number & last name, and transfer all the points you want to her UR account. Those points are then hers, and she can transfer them to her own FF accounts however she wants.

Note that this is only available for members of the same household, and Chase is supposedly pretty strict about this (to prevent buying & selling of points). That shouldn't be an issue in your situation.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:00 am

@bobert24

Thanks for being spot on - now I will remember forever!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:45 pm

Flying blue transfer

guys - i hear chase is pretty strict now on UR transfers only to an authorized user. What if there is a household member that isn't an authorized user?

Would it help if I provide them my brother's flying blue (we live together) but my name, would this work?

Thx
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - i hear chase is pretty strict now on UR transfers only to an authorized user. What if there is a household member that isn't an authorized user?

Would it help if I provide them my brother's flying blue (we live together) but my name, would this work?

Thx
In my experience they only allow AUs to be a chosen transfer Person (a name) for quite a lengthy period of time. Per the rules, the chosen Person cannot be changed again until January 1st of the next year (so always at least < 365 days).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by gamzarme
Per the rules, the chosen Person cannot be changed again until January 1st of the next year (so always at least < 365 days).
More than one person has reported this calendar-year restriction. I'm curious where the rules--either for the UR program or for specific UR-earning cards--expressly refer to this limitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.