Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by izzik
When you read the fine print.. this particular sentence stands out even more. Choose your authorized user very carefully!

You can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or one additional household member who is listed on your account as an authorized user. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user eligible to receive point transfers through this program.
Well, today the UR website says this, which is quite different:
only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:48 pm

Any reports on requirements of whether the name on the Chase account has to match with name on the frequent travel program's account? If so, does the full name need to match, or just the last name?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
My wife has the Chase Ink Plus account in her name for her business and I have a card under the same account. I just went into my account and noticed for each transfer partner there is a pull down box pre filled in. One with her name and one with my name and then a place to put your hotel or airline account number in. No option to add another name.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holocker
My wife has the Chase Ink Plus account in her name for her business and I have a card under the same account. I just went into my account and noticed for each transfer partner there is a pull down box pre filled in. One with her name and one with my name and then a place to put your hotel or airline account number in. No option to add another name.
You mean your AU card under your wife's main card has its own UR account?

I thought only the Primary owner (your wife) has a UR account and then under that UR account both the primary and the AU's names are shown when doing the transfer, such as the set up of AMEX. Is Chase set up different?

EDIT
I just checked - the "Recipient" name shown are the primary AND the AU - 2 names to choose from. Needless to say, the FFP account owner's name has to be the same as what shown on Chase's system. Else the FFP side probably would not post anything and your points out of the UR account would be in limbo... Hard to explain to Chase to get those points back if you tried to pull such a trick...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I sent Chase an SM regarding points transfer to a spouse and this is the answer I got.

? You can transfer points to a frequent travel account
belonging to yourself, or an owner of the company who is
listed as an authorized user on the credit card account.
? Once they transfer points to an authorized user, that
person will be the only authorized user on the account
eligible to receive point transfers for the remainder of
the calendar year.

Point transfer is a travel rewards benefit that allows
customers who are earning points or miles through an
airline or hotel frequent travel program to transfer Chase
Ultimate Rewards points into their frequent travel program
account
? You will need to enter the frequent travel account
number that matches the name they are transferring to
? The name on the Chase card must match the name on the
frequent travel account
? Names for partner points transfer are not editable
? When transferring to someone other than yourself, the
designated household member or business owner will need to
be listed as an Authorized User on the card account
? A household member is a family member who has the same
permanent address as the customer
? The Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer feature is
designed to allow customers to take advantage of the
rewards they earn
? It is not intended to allow transfers to third parties
? Transfers to unauthorized third parties or any other
abuse of the Chase Ultimate Rewards program may result in
suspension or termination of the ability to participate in
the program or forfeiture of points already earned.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:30 am

I read through this whole thread but it's still not clear to me how to proceed. My wife is a sole proprietor and has Ink Plus w/ no AUs. I have CSP, she is AU. I'd like to do the following:
  • downgrade my CSP to Freedom
  • maintain the ability to combine UR points between accounts
  • freely transfer UR points to either my or my wife's airline and hotel partners

My reason for doing this is to get a Freedom card (for the category bonuses), which I'm ineligible to apply for (5/24 rule) AND to save $95 (I see no reason why both me and my wife should pay annual fees for the same privilege).

Where I'm stuck is: if I downgrade, I think I can still combine UR points into her Ink, but what about bullet #3? What do I have to do to enable her to transfer UR points to MY United or Hyatt acct?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
What do I have to do to enable her to transfer UR points to MY United or Hyatt acct?
She needs to add you as an Authorized User on her Ink Plus account. Otherwise she can only transfer to her own airline and hotel accounts.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mia
She needs to add you as an Authorized User on her Ink Plus account. Otherwise she can only transfer to her own airline and hotel accounts.
Ok, thanks. So, in practice, the language in earlier posts about being an "owner" doesn't require any extra documentation on her part, right? She can simply add me as an AU.

I just want to be 100% certain about everything before I downgrade CSP. I may never be able to re-apply.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Ok, thanks. So, in practice, the language in earlier posts about being an "owner" doesn't require any extra documentation on her part, right? She can simply add me as an AU.

I just want to be 100% certain about everything before I downgrade CSP. I may never be able to re-apply.
The Chase Ultimate Rewards site states:

"We made some changes to our Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer feature. When you transfer points, you will need to select an eligible name from your account. For Business Card accounts, you may only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account."

This statement requires you to be BOTH an owner of the company AND an authorized user. This may or may not require adding you as an owner with whatever scrutiny that entails.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
The Chase Ultimate Rewards site states:

"We made some changes to our Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer feature. When you transfer points, you will need to select an eligible name from your account. For Business Card accounts, you may only transfer points to yourself or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account."

This statement requires you to be BOTH an owner of the company AND an authorized user. This may or may not require adding you as an owner with whatever scrutiny that entails.
FWIW, early this month we transfered UR from my DW's account (associated with Ink Plus card) to my Amtrak GR account entirely on the basis of my being an AU on her Chase card. I have never been listed as an "owner" of her "company."
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by beltway
FWIW, early this month we transfered UR from my DW's account (associated with Ink Plus card) to my Amtrak GR account entirely on the basis of my being an AU on her Chase card. I have never been listed as an "owner" of her "company."
Thanks for the data point. I was hoping someone had done this in the last six weeks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:29 pm

It sounds like I can do this but just want to make sure before I make the call.

I have ink card(no AU's)
Can I add my wife as an AU To then transfer points to her Hyatt account?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Andy25g
It sounds like I can do this but just want to make sure before I make the call.

I have ink card(no AU's)
Can I add my wife as an AU To then transfer points to her Hyatt account?
Yes. AFAIK Chase considers an AU as a co-owner for business cards.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:30 am
HCA

I also met the special handling issue because some of programs have one more space in my first name and some do not. I had Chase Business Ink thus I am thinking maybe I should add another authorized user with "different name".
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:53 am

Was able to have a CSR transfer points from my Chase Ink+ account to my wife's United account. Wife isn't an AU or co-owner on my card, and CSR didn't even ask for her name - just MP account number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.