Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You'd think a huge corporation could hire people who can write clear, precise English so that there is no ambiguity in such matters. Sheesh.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by mia
The other is to combine balances by moving points from one Ultimate Rewards account to another. I don't see anything in the announcement which changes the rules for combining.
I don't disagree with your reading of the language...but:

Anyone been able to combine points today between spouses? I keep getting "an unexpected error occurred" when trying to add my UR card in order to combine my wife's UR points to my UR account.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Anyone been able to combine points today between spouses? I keep getting "an unexpected error occurred" when trying to add my UR card in order to combine my wife's UR points to my UR account.
See discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by beltway
That doesn't seem helpful to my question since there hasn't been a post in that thread in over a month and we're dealing with changes to UR overnight.

Anyway, I'll answer my own question...I was able to successfully combine points when combining into a Freedom UR account instead. Very odd though and I've never had that problem previously.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
That doesn't seem helpful to my question since there hasn't been a post in that thread in over a month and we're dealing with changes to UR overnight.
It's completely relevant. I and others have posted on the precise, longstanding issue about which you inquired (and the entire thread is all of 74 posts). But suit yourself.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
It's completely relevant. I and others have posted on the precise, longstanding issue about which you inquired (and the entire thread is all of 74 posts). But suit yourself.
I never said it wasn't relevant. I said it wasn't helpful - I asked a specific question that you neither answered nor acknowledged.

I tried to combine points in the method and using accounts that had previously worked...but, today, it didn't. I was (indirectly) trying to determine whether Chase may institute an unannounced change affecting combining points around the exact time that announced changes to transferring points are scheduled to be effective (thus, the choice to post in this thread rather than the one you referenced).

As I said before, I agree with you that there is no language indicating that combining points will change tomorrow. However, that's not to say it won't (whether tomorrow or next week). So, I am taking precautionary measures by combining points in an account with appropriate authorized user ability.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:18 pm

I wonder what happens for someone like me... My SO is an AU on my CSP, but she goes by her middle name, so that's the name on her card. Her FF accounts, of course, have her legal name - which includes the middle, but obviously not as the first name. Common sense would tell you transfers should be okay, but who's to say common sense is a good guide for determining what Chase will think?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Much ado about nothing. Unless you're one of those people who is selling points, this doesn't really change anything. Chase is simply taking a step (a perfectly reasonable step, IMHO) to close a loophole that had allowed people to violate the rules. That's fine with me. The worst abusers always wreck good things for those of us who play by the rules. If this stops them, and allows the program to continue, I say hallelujah.

Fewer lazy idiots buying tickets booked with UR points from scammers, fewer lazy idiots competing for the seats I want. Thank you, Chase.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by HBKFan75
I wonder what happens for someone like me... My SO is an AU on my CSP, but she goes by her middle name, so that's the name on her card. Her FF accounts, of course, have her legal name - which includes the middle, but obviously not as the first name. Common sense would tell you transfers should be okay, but who's to say common sense is a good guide for determining what Chase will think?
I'm in a similar situation. My wife's accounts all have her maiden name. We do have a joint checking account with Chase that includes that name, so I guess that'll be evidence enough that we're spouses.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an ONGOING issue that frequently pops up. Chase has NEVER truly fixed it. The glitch just comes and goes with complete randomness. That you never encounter that before only means your timing of doing the transfers in the past had never overlapped with the times when the glitch popped up, again and again and again.

The mechanisms described in that short thread IS very helpful for those who are willing to experiment with it when encounter issues.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Nov 15, 2015 at 8:23 pm Reason: Off topic, personal
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
So if one spouse needs some of the others UR points to transfer into a FF plan, first you would transfer UR points and then send them to the spouse's FF account, right? My husband and I have different last names so I would have never been able to transfer my UR points to his FF account anyways.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by susiesan
So if one spouse needs some of the others UR points to transfer into a FF plan, first you would transfer UR points and then send them to the spouse's FF account, right? My husband and I have different last names so I would have never been able to transfer my UR points to his FF account anyways.
If your husband also has a CC that earns UR and allows transfers out to FF programs, you can simply use the combine points option to move UR points to his applicable UR credit card account. That hasn't (so far as we know) changed.

If your husband does not have an appropriate UR earning CC, the new rules require that you add him as an authorized user to your card and then transfer the UR to his FF program account.

Before today's change, you did not have to add your husband as an authorized user but you could have transferred to him previously - there was no requirement for the spouse or domestic partner to have had the same last name, so long as they were legitimate obviously.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:43 pm

My wife has Chase Ink for which I am an authorized user as an employee. The new interface for transferring to partners allows her to transfer either to herself or me. The problem is that if she chooses my name, there is another text box below that reads "Business Owner". I don't see how it makes sense given that she opened the card as a sole owner of the business.

If she tries to transfer some points to my name, will Chase take any steps to verify that I am a business (co)owner as opposed to an employee?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
If your husband also has a CC that earns UR and allows transfers out to FF programs, you can simply use the combine points option to move UR points to his applicable UR credit card account. That hasn't (so far as we know) changed.

If your husband does not have an appropriate UR earning CC, the new rules require that you add him as an authorized user to your card and then transfer the UR to his FF program account.

Before today's change, you did not have to add your husband as an authorized user but you could have transferred to him previously - there was no requirement for the spouse or domestic partner to have had the same last name, so long as they were legitimate obviously.
My husband has his own UR Ink Card. Glad to know I can top off his UR account with my UR points as I have 7 times more than he does.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:52 pm

I asked for datapoints to see if anyone had successfully combined points yesterday in case the impending UR changes were broader than Chase described. As I noted, I was subsequently able to combine URs; so, it seems moot.

Last edited by FindAWay; Nov 15, 2015 at 9:06 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.