Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kayexalate
....Is there something I'm missing?
You are also required to be an "owner" of the business. I do not know if Chase enforces this requirement, nor what documentation they require, but it is stipulated in the terms.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You are also required to be an "owner" of the business. I do not know if Chase enforces this requirement, nor what documentation they require, but it is stipulated in the terms.
mia I just spoke to four different representatives from Chase and they all said that you CANNOT transfer ultimate rewards to a mileage program other than the primary account holder (at least in this specific scenario of the Ink Biz preferred card). It doesn’t matter if you are an owner, an authorized user, or an employee. This goes against what is written here but all four reps were very confident in their answer that only the primary account holder can get their ultimate rewards transferred to their mileage program. I asked if that was in writing anywhere, but they said it was not.. I wonder if you have some different information.

T&C here say nothing (either way):
https://static.chasecdn.com/content/dam/card/rulesregulations/en/RPA0514_0515_Web.pdf
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:01 pm

mia I just spoke to four different representatives from Chase and they all said that you CANNOT transfer ultimate rewards to a mileage program other than the primary account holder (at least in this specific scenario of the Ink Biz preferred card). It doesn’t matter if you are an owner, an authorized user, or an employee. This goes against what is written here but all four reps were very confident in their answer that only the primary account holder can get their ultimate rewards transferred to their mileage program. I asked if that was in writing anywhere, but they said it was not.. I wonder if you have some different information.
What they’re saying is utter and total BS. I have successfully transferred UR from my wife’s Ink Preferred account to my Hyatt account.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
What they’re saying is utter and total BS. I have successfully transferred UR from my wife’s Ink Preferred account to my Hyatt account.
beltway yes, that's what I thought too, but I found it interesting even after HUCA x 3, they all said the same thing. I presume you are an Employee/AU of your wife's Ink Preferred
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:45 pm
mia

Originally Posted by beltway
.....successfully transferred UR from my wife’s Ink Preferred account to my Hyatt account.
Have you also been able to transfer to any other airline or hotel from your wife's account? Has your wife still been able to transfer to her own airline or hotel accounts?

I ask because of this language, which some customer service agents have interpreted to mean that the entire account can have only one airline or hotel transfer partner. (That's not what the language says, but if the Transfer function fails they may point to this rather than fix the problem.)

Can I transfer my points to someone else's frequent travel account?

You can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you, or one additional household member who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.
https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....q?item=1300006

Last edited by mia; Jun 23, 2022 at 6:31 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:05 pm

beltway yes, that's what I thought too, but I found it interesting even after HUCA x 3, they all said the same thing. I presume you are an Employee/AU of your wife's Ink Preferred
Well update. P2 added me on as an employee to her Business Ink preferred. I show up in the drop down as availble to transfer points to, but whenever I select myself, I get a message in red that says, "Special handling required. We are unable to process this transfer online. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance."

Is it because my account is too new? is it because it just won't let me? Informaiton out there seem very muddled.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:08 pm
mia

Is it because ....
It may be specific to the transfer partner, or it may be related to the Chase account. Call, and let us know what they say, but don't accept any reference to unpublished rules or limitations.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It may be specific to the transfer partner, or it may be related to the Chase account. Call, and let us know what they say, but don't accept any reference to unpublished rules or limitations.
I've had no problems transferring from my own UR to my accounts. I have no name issues--everything matches exactly on my card as does my loyalty accounts. I'll call, but I'm sure they'll say the same thing the other 4 agents told me, that it's just not possible to do (only the primary account holder--although one would argue then why does my name even appear in the drop down)

hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot. well at least the "employee card" doesn't count against 5/24 or trigger a hard pull. But I hate having cards that I never use. Sock drawer is full of them already.

Another DP (at least for this user, I have no information on this website, but came up in my search):
https://brokeist.com/chase-removes-household-transfer-option/#You_cant_transfer_Ultimate_Rewards_to_an_authoriz ed_users_frequent_flyer_or_hotel_loyalty_account_o nline

--implies that what the Chase reps said (about being unable to transfer UR to an AU/Employee's loyalty account) is correct. Perhaps y'all were grandfathered in and it doesn't work anymore for new AU/Employees?

Last edited by kayexalate; Jun 23, 2022 at 6:18 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:27 pm
mia

--implies that ....
The Chase Combine and Transfer functions are fragile, and when they don't work as documented customer service agents invent explanations. The website explicitly says that transfers to AU partner accounts are possible, and the website shows that you are eligible. Make them account for ALL of the facts, not just those which fit their narrative.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The Chase Combine and Transfer functions are fragile, and when they don't work as documented customer service agents invent explanations. The website explicitly says that transfers to AU partner accounts are possible, and the website shows that you are eligible. Make them account for ALL of the facts, not just those which fit their narrative.
mia where does "The website explicitly says that transfers to AU partner accounts are possible," At least if I have the information I can ask the reps to reference that. I've been looking for that, but cannot find it anywhere.
If you have the link please let me know
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:32 pm
mia

mia where does "The website explicitly says that transfers to AU partner accounts are possible,"
https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase....q?item=1300006 Scroll down to see the expanded FAQ.
kayexalate likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you also been able to transfer to any other airline or hotel from your wife's account? Has your wife still been able to transfer to her own airline or hotel accounts?
We have since closed her Ink Pref, so it’s not a simple matter to look up the transfer history. I’m almost certain I transferred points to her United account (back when United miles had an expiration clock) and possibly even to the UA account of another family member holding an AU/employee card.

Since closing DW’s Ink Pref card, I’ve moved all the accumulated UR to my own Ink Pref, but haven’t done any transfers other than to my own Hyatt account, so no real track record there to cite.
mia likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
Back and forth with Chase several times this AM (as I'm still getting the error). they are sticking to their guns, saying that it is NOT an option and CANNOT be done. Not sure what to do, seems like I'm SOL. I can't do it myself on my end and Chase won't help. I sent them a screenshot of the website indicating it is an option (thank you mia ). I have escalated it and they'll "respond in 5 business days"... we shall see. I'm not holding my breath. May just bite the bullet and pay te $95 AF on my own card rather than product changing. I have until 7/4 to make that decision.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:30 pm
RNE

Well update. P2 added me on as an employee to her Business Ink preferred. I show up in the drop down as availble to transfer points to, but whenever I select myself, I get a message in red that says, "Special handling required. We are unable to process this transfer online. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance."
The surest way to settle what is and what is not possible is by trying it -- which you have duly done. Bravo. It looks like you can do it but only by calling. How do you know for sure? Call and try it. Good luck.

RNE, adding that you might was to get your story straight about what employee function you perform.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:49 pm
mia

....I have escalated it ....
Thank you for the update. The next escalation could be to file a CFPB complaint explaining that Chase advertises a benefit which it refuses to provide. This may not force Chase to remedy the problem, but it should bring it to the attention of a different level of management who can check if this is a policy change which was not reflected on their website, or a technical fault which their staff is characterizing as policy.
GUWonder and RNE like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.