Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by btk2333
Applied today for CSR
6/24 with 2 AU's that have had the AU's removed
pending 7-10 days, will let it ride out but assuming I'll have to call recon with a denial to have AU's removed from the count in a couple weeks and/or reallocate credit
Denied for too many new cards- called and successfully had AU's removed and offered to reallocate credit and now the application needs to be further reviewed- automated line now says 30 days

wish me luck!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Lightbulb Suggestion for Wiki...

If it's possible, it would be nice to add a date for the most recent Wiki edit. This is probably the best and most detailed Wiki on flyertalk - thanks to all who have contributed!

Last but not least....good luck btk2333!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aglasgow
...add a date for the most recent Wiki edit.
You can see this information if your account is eligible to edit Wikiposts. Open the Wikipost panel > Edit > View History.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by mia
You can see this information if your account is eligible to edit Wikiposts. Open the Wikipost panel > Edit > View History.
Excellent, thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:57 am

My wife applied for CSR 10 days ago and got the 7-10 days message. The denial letter arrived Friday - too many credit cards opened in the last 24 months (she's 5/24 with 2 AUs). I called recon on her behalf (after she authorized me to do so) and asked them to remove a card she is AU on. I was on hold for a long time and they came back and asked a lot of questions because my wife's file is "thin". I answered the questions honestly and after waiting on hold again my wife's card was approved.

My wife asked what this card would do for us (after flying all four of us to Ireland twice for $450 each time without enough Avios left to do it one more time, she's starting to catch on that I'm up to something). She couldn't believe that we will get at least $1,350 with this card, and I already have one so we're doing it twice. I've got all the spending planned to get the 100,000 points and two $300 travel credits by her second statement (all spending we were going to do anyway). We'll cancel it after the annual fee hits next year.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by btk2333
Denied for too many new cards- called and successfully had AU's removed and offered to reallocate credit and now the application needs to be further reviewed- automated line now says 30 days

wish me luck!
Originally Posted by aglasgow
If it's possible, it would be nice to add a date for the most recent Wiki edit. This is probably the best and most detailed Wiki on flyertalk - thanks to all who have contributed!

Last but not least....good luck btk2333!
Thanks- approved this morning- as some other reports have noted my Ink Plus card that is 21 months old never got mentioned with regard to 5/24
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:27 pm

I need some advice. I am CPC and way over 5/24. Can I apply to one personal and one business Chase card? Or should I limit to only one card?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:37 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Does Chase limit how many credit cards one can have, or one can be approved for in one day? Right now I have Freedom, UA, and IHG. I think 1 app in the past 24 months, or maybe no apps. Eyeing the CS Reserve and Preferred (second time, cancelled first one over two years ago).
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Does Chase limit how many credit cards one can have, or one can be approved for in one day? Right now I have Freedom, UA, and IHG. I think 1 app in the past 24 months, or maybe no apps. Eyeing the CS Reserve and Preferred (second time, cancelled first one over two years ago).
From the wiki: Chase does not have a known limit. However, several reports (for example) indicate that Chase is highly sensitive to multiple applications within a short time period, and that the second (or subsequent) applications run a substantial risk of being denied. In many cases, this is likely related to Chase's practice of allocating a large credit line (up to an applicant's personal maximum) when approving a new card such as the first application in a series. (See also the discussion below concerning aggregate Chase credit lines.)
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:58 pm

Applied online for CSR today. Got a 7-10 days pending message. At exactly 3/24 as of yesterday, +2 AUs with Chase. Called up recon to "ask about status of application" about 15 minutes after submitting online app. Was informed that app had been approvedapproved, with CL being transferred from my CSP account. This was done without my prompting or asking. Asked about expediting delivery and was informed that it was not possible for CSR, but since it ships via UPS I should get it soon anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
I applied for the Reserve today online. Got a 7-10 day pending message, which I've never had before. Usually, I am approved instantly. I called immediately and eventually was transferred to a lender. I was told the app had been denied for too many credit cards. I reviewed my history and knew that I was at 4/24 for the last 24 months, but that there was a possible 5/24 issue because I am an AU on DH's Sapphire card. The lender said that 5/24 was just an internet story, but she was willing to reconsider my app if I removed the AU, which I did, since we no longer will use this card once the Reserve is in place. (Note: she did ask whether I used the card as an AU. I said no. Is that even relevant?)

I then had to answer a battery of questions re: sources and amounts of income. At least she didn't ask for a tax return, but I was beginning to wonder what the heck....She even asked me how much of the reported pension income was mine. I thought HH income was the standard, not how much the applicant makes.

BTW, our joint income is $180K and credit scores are well over 800 apiece. Everything is paid in full every month. In fact, we have been paying before the statements close so that the amounts will not show up on a credit report as a debt for a mortgage refi (which we decided to forego because rates have now increased too much).

After getting that out of the way, she said I would have to reallocate credit from my 2 existing Chase cards (Freedom and Unlimited), which totalled about $50K. So I dipped into both cards to come up with $25K for Reserve.

I thought that rather odd because I had previously had a $25K line on the Chase Hyatt, which I closed in April. So looks like Chase is getting more stringent here.

I was finally approved, but was told the card would not be arriving for 1-2 weeks and that they could not expedite. My next payment (I checked online) will be 12/20, meaning that the first billing cycle closes around 11/23. I can probably meet the spending requirement if the card comes in by the 19th or so, as I have a couple of large bills I have not paid in anticipation of needing to meet a spending requirerment on a new Reserve card.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My wife and I both did this for our CSR cards. I (12/24) applied before getting CPC (<<$250K invested with Chase), got outright rejected. Went to banker and signed up for CPC, then called again. They said I was rejected, but I told the agent that the banker said CPC bypasses any restrictions. He put me on hold for 10 minutes and then told me that my app would be reviewed. About 2 weeks later, I called in and was told I was approved.

Shortly after approval, my wife applied in branch (~10/24, no preapproval. Joint CPC checking acct). Her app went to pending. Went home, called immediately. Agent said too many apps, she mentioned CPC, and got put on hold. 10 min later, was approved.
This is what happened to me too. When I signed up for CPC I had the banker sign me up for the CSR which went to pending. The banker said he'd follow up with them. He told me that I was rejected and that when I get the rejection letter we can call them together. I got the rejection letter but then found this thread which led me to call recon on my own. I told them I was CPC and after moving some credit around, I was approved.

So if you have CPC, you don't really need the banker's help.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:18 pm

So then you haven't been reading this thread? AFAIK immediate approvals have become quite rare with Chase. And the best advice now is to never call before you get a decision. If you call, usually the best you can hope for is to be put thru the wringer as you were. Having to answer all sorts of irrelevant questions before being approved. The possible downside is having a CSR deny an app that might otherwise been approved in a week or two.

Originally Posted by pashber
I applied for the Reserve today online. Got a 7-10 day pending message, which I've never had before. Usually, I am approved instantly. I called immediately and eventually was transferred to a lender. I was told the app had been denied for too many credit cards. I reviewed my history and knew that I was at 4/24 for the last 24 months, but that there was a possible 5/24 issue because I am an AU on DH's Sapphire card. The lender said that 5/24 was just an internet story, but she was willing to reconsider my app if I removed the AU, which I did, since we no longer will use this card once the Reserve is in place. (Note: she did ask whether I used the card as an AU. I said no. Is that even relevant?)

I then had to answer a battery of questions re: sources and amounts of income. At least she didn't ask for a tax return, but I was beginning to wonder what the heck....She even asked me how much of the reported pension income was mine. I thought HH income was the standard, not how much the applicant makes.

BTW, our joint income is $180K and credit scores are well over 800 apiece. Everything is paid in full every month. In fact, we have been paying before the statements close so that the amounts will not show up on a credit report as a debt for a mortgage refi (which we decided to forego because rates have now increased too much).

After getting that out of the way, she said I would have to reallocate credit from my 2 existing Chase cards (Freedom and Unlimited), which totalled about $50K. So I dipped into both cards to come up with $25K for Reserve.

I thought that rather odd because I had previously had a $25K line on the Chase Hyatt, which I closed in April. So looks like Chase is getting more stringent here.

I was finally approved, but was told the card would not be arriving for 1-2 weeks and that they could not expedite. My next payment (I checked online) will be 12/20, meaning that the first billing cycle closes around 11/23. I can probably meet the spending requirement if the card comes in by the 19th or so, as I have a couple of large bills I have not paid in anticipation of needing to meet a spending requirerment on a new Reserve card.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
So then you haven't been reading this thread? AFAIK immediate approvals have become quite rare with Chase. And the best advice now is to never call before you get a decision. If you call, usually the best you can hope for is to be put thru the wringer as you were. Having to answer all sorts of irrelevant questions before being approved. The possible downside is having a CSR deny an app that might otherwise been approved in a week or two.
Please reread my post. I was informed by the lending officer that my application had already been rejected and that I would be receiving the letter in 7-10 days. The language from the Wiki states the following:

I wasn't auto-approved. Should I call in?

It may be better to avoid calling Chase unless your application is denied. Many recent calls on pending applications led to denials, and many people report having success letting applications work their way through the system. Be patient. Time is on your side; increasingly, Chase CSRs are not.

This Wiki is not suggesting that Chase *might* somehow reverse a denial without further action on the applicant's part. The applicant will have to contact Chase by phone to appeal the denial and would probably go through the same process I went through.

Last edited by pashber; Nov 12, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:56 am

Maybe YOU should reread your post, because that's not what your post said. It said:

"Got a 7-10 day pending message, which I've never had before. Usually, I am approved instantly. I called immediately ....

Originally Posted by pashber
Please reread my post. I was informed by the lending officer that my application had already been rejected and that I would be receiving the letter in 7-10 days. The language from the Wiki states the following:

I wasn't auto-approved. Should I call in?

It may be better to avoid calling Chase unless your application is denied. Many recent calls on pending applications led to denials, and many people report having success letting applications work their way through the system. Be patient. Time is on your side; increasingly, Chase CSRs are not.

This Wiki is not suggesting that Chase *might* somehow reverse a denial without further action on the applicant's part. The applicant will have to contact Chase by phone to appeal the denial and would probably go through the same process I went through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.