Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tylt33
My wife just got denied due to too many credit cards opened... She hasn't opened any in the last ten years, they must also be considering cards that people are AU on or something?
That's been the case for over a year (see wiki). AUs count against 5/24. You can call recon and ask them to not count AUs. Some have luck with that.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm at 5 CC since 9/1/14. 3 were from Chase in this order SW Premier 9/1/14, Disney 11/1/14, and CSP (CSP not until October 2015). I applied/received Arrival + and AMEX SPG on 9/1/14. So 3 cards on 9/1/14. I did the same for my wife and we were AU's on each other's accts. Needed reconciliation to obtain CSP last year due to the AU's. I need the Chase Hyatt and SW premier again to make a trip to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos next July. I'm thinking I will wait until after September 1st when I will only officially be 5/24 (Disney 11/14, CSP 10/15, Ford service CC 5/16) but also AU's on wife's CSP and Disney). So after 9/1 I will reapply for the SW Premier first. SW card first due to the AU's on my wife's accts which will probably put me at 5/24....thinking if not auto approved I will call recon to be approved. I want to be approved for the SW first due to it being subject to 5/24. Then apply for the Hyatt since it's not subject to 5/24. As for my wife...she will only be 4/24 after 9/1 including 2 AU's on my accts. So I will apply her for the SW premier then the hyatt. Does anyone have any input or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by benosufan; Jul 19, 2016 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you apply for a business card and supply an EIN you will -also- provide your SSN. It's not one versus the other, it's one or both.

Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

AUs do count towards 5/24

Originally Posted by Tylt33
My wife just got denied due to too many credit cards opened... She hasn't opened any in the last ten years, they must also be considering cards that people are AU on or something?
I can confirm they do count the AU's....I had to call recon last October when I applied for the CSP. I was only 4/24 at that time but with AU's from wife's accounts I was over the limit. Took about 10 minutes on the phone and they approved the application. Granted this was last October but from what I've read on FT many people had success with recon when the AU's put them over 5/24.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
One of the travel blogs reported yesterday multiple data points from readers that Banker "special consideration" form does not help with 5/24.

If you are clearly over 5/24 calling Recon is a waste of time.
Can confirm the recon was futile. FWIW, the recon lady was atypically friendly and basically confirmed the 5/24 "rule" that we all pretty much know. Couple of things stand out:

5/24 Rule:
- Any credit card account opened (even if it is subsequently closed) that shows up on the credit report that they pull counts for 5/24. They have some leeway in a/c's on which you are AU. I had 17 new opened a/c's. This # matches what credit karma shows.

- Pre-approved offer & private client, offer *may* be a way around it. I was surprised she actually offered this info.

- The # 5 isn't hard and fast. Even if the system automatically denies you, if you're right at the cutoff or nearby there may be chance. I was at 17 - no chance for me.

Gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised at the helpfulness of this recon lady, in stark contrast to the chase business credit card lady who was down right rude and the experience as painful as a cavity search.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by giesen5
Wife applied for British Airlines card. Got the 7-10 day message. 4 days later was approved, did not call.

She had opened 4 Chase cards (United, CSP, Freedom Unlimited, IHG) and Barclay Arrival + in the past 4.5 months.

Just wanted to throw it out there for the data collectors.
Seeing AU conversation. She is AU on three of my Chase cards, too. So that seems to put her over the 5/24.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:25 pm

This 5/24 rule is devastating. The CC companies definitely found our Achilles. I JUST started churning last month where I opened 4 cards and just 1 was a Chase. I'm worried because I did open 1 in Feb (barclays arrival) before I started churning, so I'm pretty much locked out of Chase until 2018. This is terrible. The only way I can think to get around is to spread out the churns with the wife, but still 5/24 is terrible. 10/24 would be more reasonable, but then again, I can't blame them, they came down hard and fast.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ChurningMan
This 5/24 rule is devastating.
Sure is. Has totally messed up how we go about this churning thingie...

Hobby can come back only with a steep recession...Of course, I am ONLY saying that in regards to churning...

#roughtimesinchurningland
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:29 am

If you're assigned a new card number due to a card being lost/stolen, does that count towards the 5/24 limit?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rmannion
If you're assigned a new card number due to a card being lost/stolen, does that count towards the 5/24 limit?
No.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

Another data point: Applied for a UA Explorer card for the 70k bonus on 2016-06-30. Was not immediately approved. Have existing United Club and Amazon cards and 1 new card issued in the past 2 years. Automated line initially stated "30 days", then "2 weeks", with approval today. Looks like they siphoned off credit from my other Chase cards to create the new card.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:02 pm

Data Point:

Just applied for Chase Hyatt for me and my wife. We are both at 20/24 although I have not applied for a Chase card since May 2015 because of 5/24. I had only 2 active cards with Chase (IHG and Freedom) and they were low lines of credit. Both of us were instant approvals with $19,500 and $12,000 credit lines. I was nervous to apply due to 5/24, but it worked out for us. Nice to get a win with Chase!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by rmannion
Another data point: Applied for a UA Explorer card for the 70k bonus on 2016-06-30. Was not immediately approved. Have existing United Club and Amazon cards and 1 new card issued in the past 2 years. Automated line initially stated "30 days", then "2 weeks", with approval today. Looks like they siphoned off credit from my other Chase cards to create the new card.
Sounds like you've got at least one more app to go with Chase, so choose carefully. I'd go for a CSP, but that's just me.

And I'd lower your Chase CLs before you apply again. The fact that they moved credit on their own implies you are at least near, if not at, the max they are willing to give you.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:00 pm

Another bad thing about 5/24 is that we used to flip between CSP and Ink cards and only have one active at a time. That was we kept the points active and did not pay an annual fee.

After 5/24, I cannot get CSP again since cancelled right before 5/24 so am paying the annual fee on the Ink card now. Another win for Chase.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:27 pm

Have we ever collected any data points as to how precisely Chase measures 24 months from getting the bonus? I have my eyes on trying for the Hyatt while I still can, and I received the bonus 2 years + 9 days ago or earlier.* Normally I'd be patient to give it a good buffer but who knows when they'll add this card to 5/24.

What would you do in my situation? Would you go for it now or wait? (if so how long?)

*I don't have direct evidence of when I officially received the bonus, but I did make a Hyatt booking using a cert on that date. So it could be exactly that day or shortly before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.