Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Got the 70k UA targeted this morning and applied. I'm definitely over 5/24 although only 1 was with Chase though I know that doesn't matter (AMEX PRG, Delta AMEX, Chase Marriott, Citi Prestige, and Citi Premier in the last 24 months).

Got a "need more time" and a "7-10 business days" on the automated machine which suggests a negative outcome.

Will follow-up once I hear but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 5/24 issue despite being targeted by UA.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Got the 70k UA targeted this morning and applied. I'm definitely over 5/24 although only 1 was with Chase though I know that doesn't matter (AMEX PRG, Delta AMEX, Chase Marriott, Citi Prestige, and Citi Premier in the last 24 months).

Got a "need more time" and a "7-10 business days" on the automated machine which suggests a negative outcome.

Will follow-up once I hear but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 5/24 issue despite being targeted by UA.
Seems like people post here more than they read. So again, I know the wiki says that, but the last 3 apps for DW and I have had the 7-10 message, and were eventually approved. Not within 7 to 10 days, much longer than that, but they were approved.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Seems like people post here more than they read.
Very true.
So again, I know the wiki says that,
The wiki has provided very different guidance for a number of weeks now.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Okay, so I checked my credit reports and I'm right at 5/24 right now (all 5 since 2/23/16 though - and I'm several cards higher than that, all from AmEx, that haven't posted to my credit reports yet).

So, this is my LAST chance to get any 5/24 limited Chase cards for awhile (and maybe not, since 4/24 may be the limit).

Which should I try for (I currently have a Sapphire, SW Plus, SW Premier, FYI)?
- Ink Plus - Want most, but hardest to get, and I was denied, even after recon on 4/14, but I'd try with my other business that has more income.

- Freedom or Freedom Unlimited - I would like to have this long term, but the bonus is minimal...

- United MPE - I have a mailer for this, so I might get approved even with 5/24 in effect? It's for 50k points / $2k spend, AF waived.

Thoughts? I could apply for the Ink Plus, but it would probably go pending. Then if I got the Freedom or the United MPE, I'd probably be disqualified with 5/24 for the Ink Plus that's pending... :-/

Maybe I'd get auto-approved for the Freedom, then could do the Ink Plus (almost certainly a denial then, but would already have a HP), then could try the United MPE and have a shot?

Decisions, decisions! Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Seems like people post here more than they read. So again, I know the wiki says that, but the last 3 apps for DW and I have had the 7-10 message, and were eventually approved. Not within 7 to 10 days, much longer than that, but they were approved.
Ha I did see that I just was hedging my bets
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:22 pm

Is there any chance for reconsideration under the new 5/24. Really wanted to lose my $400/year Presidential Plus and get the explorer. Got denied due to too many and first reconsideration request said no way around it. Anyone successful this last week?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JeffH1
CSP can transfer to Southwest, IHG, and BA, as well. All three can give you some nice redemptions. You can always use the card for a year, then downgrade it to the Freedom Unlimited to avoid the annual fee.
I think you meant Hyatt, not IHG in terms of utility. I can't fathom a time when UR to IHG/Marriott would ever be warranted.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Far too many
Employee cards on Capital One Accounts

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
Most banks don't put business cards on your credit report, so employee cards (and most other business cards) wouldn't count against 5/24. A few banks (e.g., Capital One) do put these cards on your report though, so it might be worth getting a copy of your report and seeing for yourself. This can be done for free at creditkarma.com.
Hi!
Are you saying that if your employer gave you an employee card on a Cap 1 account, that Cap 1 would report that on your personal credit report, so that Chase would count it against your 5/24?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the wiki doesn't say that any more. I'm not sure how long ago it got updated, but it now says:
Note: In the past, automated line responses stating that Chase would notify you in 2 weeks often resulted in an approval, whereas the "7-10 days" message often indicated imminent denial. In 2016, this pattern became increasingly unpredictable, with many applicants receiving approval despite an earlier "7-10 days" message. As a result, automated line responses should not be regarded as reliable indicators of an application's likely outcome.
I don't see why Chase has to continue with these silly estimate of time which are just about always wrong anyway. Why not do it like Citi which says "we need more time to process your application" without ever explaining how much more time they might need. If you don't give a time estimate, you can't be wrong about the time estimate.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 1, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Okay, so I checked my credit reports and I'm right at 5/24 right now (all 5 since 2/23/16 though - and I'm several cards higher than that, all from AmEx, that haven't posted to my credit reports yet).

So, this is my LAST chance to get any 5/24 limited Chase cards for awhile (and maybe not, since 4/24 may be the limit).

Which should I try for (I currently have a Sapphire, SW Plus, SW Premier, FYI)?
- Ink Plus - Want most, but hardest to get, and I was denied, even after recon on 4/14, but I'd try with my other business that has more income.

- Freedom or Freedom Unlimited - I would like to have this long term, but the bonus is minimal...

- United MPE - I have a mailer for this, so I might get approved even with 5/24 in effect? It's for 50k points / $2k spend, AF waived.

Thoughts? I could apply for the Ink Plus, but it would probably go pending. Then if I got the Freedom or the United MPE, I'd probably be disqualified with 5/24 for the Ink Plus that's pending... :-/

Maybe I'd get auto-approved for the Freedom, then could do the Ink Plus (almost certainly a denial then, but would already have a HP), then could try the United MPE and have a shot?

Decisions, decisions! Thanks,
--Kyle
Consider that you could product change your Sapphire to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. This would be palatable if you have Ink Plus (to keep transfer ability).

Personally, I'd do Ink Plus and United on the same day and cross fingers . And assuming Ink Plus is approved, I'd convert Sapphire to Freedom Unlimited.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, the wiki doesn't say that any more. I'm not sure how long ago it got updated,
I updated it on May 7 & posted a note about the change.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I updated it on May 7 & posted a note about the change.
I guess I should have said: I know the wiki used to say that....
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:29 pm

SW Premier is Definitely 6/24

Applied two days late and a dollar short.

App made the morning of 5/24 before seeing the DofC post.

Just got my denial letter today:

"Thank you for your interest in our SOUTHWEST AIRLINES Visa Platinum credit card. Your application was given thoughtful consideration by CHASE BANK USA, NA. After reviewing the information provided in your application and your credit report, we are unable to approve your request at this time. Our decision was based on the following specific reason(s):

Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years"

Why didn't they just didn't say "you broke our new, and unannounced, application policy by applying 2 days late".....

Because they didn't give my app any consideration at all, much less thoughtful consideration, they just applied a brand new (for the SW card) arbitrary rule that resulted in a denial.

I was approved for a PLUS a few weeks ago, and was waiting until I was sure I was past 24 months on the Premier. Had I been approved for the Premier, I would have had to spend another $8,000 on it to have enough miles for the CP. Now the Plus just gets put in the sock drawer, and cancelled once the AF comes due again, because it'll be a cold day in hell before I'm back down to 5/24.

So now Chase and AMEX are 'dead to me', but if Citi doesn't also go crazy like this, they will be getting plenty of apps when my 24 time outs expire in early 2017.

And B/A and I are best buds...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:18 pm
Suspended

The above is exactly what it means.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:30 pm

Hello all
I applied for the IHG on 5/14/16. It has been easily over 2 years since I received the bonus for this card. It went pending. The message I got after applying was I'd receive the card in 7-10 biz days if approved. The email I received was the 30-day message. The automated line is the same 30-day message.
My last apps were in Feb: one each for Citi, Chase and Barclays. Before that, I got both personal SW cards in late Nov and 2 AmEx SPG cards in Sept. I have not called Chase, other than the automated line. Has anyone else received the 30 day message? What was the outcome? It's been ages since I wasn't auto-approved, and have never been denied by any bank. Just wondering what the chances are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.