Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Received a targeted offer for an Ink Plus. However, I already have an ink plus and have received the bonus within the past 24 months. The targeted offer does not mention any restrictions about not having an ink plus currently or receiving a bonus within past 24 months.

Am I safe to apply?

Last edited by TMM1982; May 21, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Old May 21, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Squirrel
Closed IHG card on 5/13/2016. Reapplied on 5/21/2016 for 70,000 offer. Instantly approved. Applied for 8 credit cards in the last 24 months.
Aye, but here's the rub. Chase will issue you another card when you don't qualify for a bonus. They will wait a couple of months, hoping you pay the AF and make the full min spnd by that time. Then they will send you a post card saying "you do understand, don't you, that you don't qualify for a sign up bonus"? So you will get the points per $ for the spend, but no sign up bonus.

With Chase, unlike Citi, it doesn't matter when you closed a card, as long as it's closed before you reapply. What matters is if your new app is at least 24 months after your previous bonus was issued. You didn't mention that date, so no way for me to comment on your status with that.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
It's usually 3 or maybe 4 with Chase. They won't complain if you do that many.
Thank you, Robert! Much appreciated.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:24 am

Application Strategy for New Chase Cards

I'm relatively new to the pursuit of fully optimizing my credit card rewards, and after thorough research I believe can maximize my rewards through a combo of the Chase Freedom for 5x bonus categories, Freedom Unlimited for 1.5x general spend, and CSP for the 2x dining/travel and transfer privileges.

Unfortunately, I have 3 cards that were opened in 2015 (as follows), so I'm afraid I won't qualify for all 3 this year unless I'm lucky.
- Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Jan 2015, 6K cl
- Sams Club Consumer, Mar 2015, 6k cl
- Citi Thank You Premier, Oct 2015, 7k cl

While I realize the CSP (or Ink Plus) is necessary to get the full value out of the Freedoms, I'm currently thinking of holding out to apply for the CSP as I know I will fully maximize the current/upcoming bonus categories for CF with regular spend, the CSP 2x spend already overlaps heavily with my CTYP, and I don't need immediate access to the transfer partners, so I can wait until 2017 if need be, though it would be nice to have the 50k points for accommodations during a trip to AMS over New Years (flights already booked from a $200 error fare IAH-AMS). The only risk I think of waiting IMO is that they drastically alter the CSP benefits or sign-up bonus, which I don't think is very high during the next 8 months.

I also have been getting targeted mailers for the CSP almost biweekly, and have about 5 branches within a mile of my house, so I was alternatively thinking about getting the CF and CFU first online, then taking one of the targeted mailers to a branch and trying to get preapproval in person for the CSP (and hit 2 birds by opening a checking/savings acct for the $350 bonus there, show loyalty to Chase in case I need to plead with CSR, etc.). Seems like some people can get better luck in person, but I'm not sure how it will look that I've just opened 2 other Chase cards in the last month.

Any thoughts on this strategy from more experienced churners?
Old May 23, 2016, 11:11 am
rev

Since it doesn't seem Chase is applying the 5/24 to co-branded cards (and assuming they continue not to for the purpose of this question), I'm coming up on 2 years since my last bonus for the SW business card, and just got the Plus bonus. Would anyone think it's worth it to use an HP to apply for the SW business after recently opening two Chase cards (1 biz) since the start of the year with 5 Chase cards active (2 biz)? In total, I have 4 apps in the last six months, and 9 in the last year. I know three business cards isn't an easy feat, especially since I don't have a large income, so I'm thinking the options are

1. Close the United business I opened in Jan 2016 to free up credit and help approval, potentially not looking good to Chase during recon if they question or enforce anything against me for 'abusing' the bonuses
2. Apply anyway and take a higher risk of denial due to too much business credit/cards, pontential questioning about so many SW cards or business accounts opened/closed
3. Save the HP, even for the CP this is too risky - go for cards I'm more certain will be approved

Thoughts?
Old May 23, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rev
Since it doesn't seem Chase is applying the 5/24 to co-branded cards (and assuming they continue not to for the purpose of this question), I'm coming up on 2 years since my last bonus for the SW business card, and just got the Plus bonus. Would anyone think it's worth it to use an HP to apply for the SW business after recently opening two Chase cards (1 biz) since the start of the year with 5 Chase cards active (2 biz)? In total, I have 4 apps in the last six months, and 9 in the last year. I know three business cards isn't an easy feat, especially since I don't have a large income, so I'm thinking the options are

1. Close the United business I opened in Jan 2016 to free up credit and help approval, potentially not looking good to Chase during recon if they question or enforce anything against me for 'abusing' the bonuses
2. Apply anyway and take a higher risk of denial due to too much business credit/cards, pontential questioning about so many SW cards or business accounts opened/closed
3. Save the HP, even for the CP this is too risky - go for cards I'm more certain will be approved

Thoughts?
Definitely drop the available credit to about $5k on each open card which may help with the auto approval. You do not want anyone looking at your history.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:34 pm

Guys need some input here. Applied for Chase SW plus n business. I was approved for personal right away n had to call in for business. Agent approved but sent in for supervisor review. Supervisor denied application. Spoke to like 3 diff senior analyst n also local banker @Chase tried but they wont approve it. I have Ink plus n said fine with movin CL but still NO.
I got $19k on personal card which i really dont need. What u guys suggest? Should i apply SW premier(Personal) and ask recon to move limit from SW plus? jus so confused.
Cards from Chase - Hyatt & Ink Plus.
Inquiries in last 12 months - 8

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Hi, need advice here...

freedom CL: 5k and 1k. both long time ago
CSP: 30k applied in February
Ink+: 32k applied in early May?
Citi prestige in March,
marriott: 32k applied 4/16 (called in after 1 week pending, had to answer why applied so many cards recently, got approved after 2 more weeks)
2 AMEX charge cards early May.

so yesterday I applied IHG card, same 30 day message as of last time. what's the best I can do to increase chance of approval? call or no call? lower CL? I have exactly 100k total CL with 5 chase cards now...
Old May 23, 2016, 6:43 pm
Suspended

What's your income? Chase has granted you $92,000 in credit in the past 90 days?
Old May 23, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
What's your income? Chase has granted you $92,000 in credit in the past 90 days?
dual income, each about 110k. I've had >100k CL with chase years ago, but only 6k left after I closed most of my chase cards, until I picked up credit applications again this year.
Old May 23, 2016, 6:57 pm
Suspended

I'm not a Chase expert, but I bet you're going to have trouble getting any more apps approved without lowering your credit limits rather substantially, and even that might not work if an actual credit analyst takes a look at your recent app history.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:56 pm

Just thought I'd share a data point. My friend / business partner applied for the Sapphire Preferred and Freedom Unlimited today and was auto-approved for both.

I don't know much about her credit history (I don't think it's impeccable), don't think she's applied for a lot of cards lately (I know of at least one though), and she's been using a Southwest card for awhile now. TTYL,
--Kyle
Old May 24, 2016, 12:39 am

I'm going to ask them lower my credit limits then... does the business card matter here? or just the two personal cards?
Old May 24, 2016, 7:14 am
rev

Originally Posted by mileshound
Definitely drop the available credit to about $5k on each open card which may help with the auto approval. You do not want anyone looking at your history.
Most of my limits seem to end up around $5k-$7k with Chase when I'm approved, and I dropped two personal cards to $2k a while ago, so maybe I'll trim a little more fat this week.

So as far as overall credit Chase will issue a person, is business and personal credit combined to equal the total amount of credit Chase will issue you, or is it business credit is its own category and personal credit is it's own category?
Old May 24, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by anubond005
Guys need some input here. Applied for Chase SW plus n business. I was approved for personal right away n had to call in for business. Agent approved but sent in for supervisor review. Supervisor denied application. Spoke to like 3 diff senior analyst n also local banker @Chase tried but they wont approve it. I have Ink plus n said fine with movin CL but still NO.
I got $19k on personal card which i really dont need. What u guys suggest? Should i apply SW premier(Personal) and ask recon to move limit from SW plus? jus so confused.
Cards from Chase - Hyatt & Ink Plus.
Inquiries in last 12 months - 8

Thanks.
Guys any input in this? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.