Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:00 am

SW Cards

Applied for the SW Premier personal and business cards on January 6th. Personal card instantly approved with 32K limit. Got the "application is being reviewed, will let you know in 2 weeks" message on the business card. Have reduced the limit on the personal card to 10K via SM. Still waiting on the business card 3 weeks later.

Will the auto message eventually change, or will I just get a rejection letter or a shiny new business card in the mail without any other notice? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:08 pm

I got approved today, but am having trouble finding out what type of card this is, meaning Visa, MC, Amex. Nowhere during the introduction info, during the application process, or when I log into my Chase Account does it state which type it is. It will be beneficial to me, if it's Visa.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
I got approved today, but am having trouble finding out what type of card this is, meaning Visa, MC, Amex. Nowhere during the introduction info, during the application process, or when I log into my Chase Account does it state which type it is. It will be beneficial to me, if it's Visa.
And nowhere in what you just posted did you explain what type of card it was (Freedom, Sapphire Preferreed, UA, Southwest, IHG, Marriott, Slate, etc, etc) that you were approved for.

Most Chase cards are Visa. IHG cards from Chase are MC. I don't remember ever hearing about a Chase-issued Amex at all, so I presume it either doesn't happen or it's rare.

Some Chase cards (like the UA cards) hide the Visa logo on the back, so if you only see a picture of the front, you can't tell from the picture whether it's a Visa or not.

Do you know your full account number yet? Visa account numbers start with a 4, MC account numbers start with a 5.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And nowhere in what you just posted did you explain what type of card it was (Freedom, Sapphire Preferreed, UA, Southwest, IHG, Marriott, Slate, etc, etc) that you were approved for.

Most Chase cards are Visa. IHG cards from Chase are MC. I don't remember ever hearing about a Chase-issued Amex at all, so I presume it either doesn't happen or it's rare.

Some Chase cards (like the UA cards) hide the Visa logo on the back, so if you only see a picture of the front, you can't tell from the picture whether it's a Visa or not.

Do you know your full account number yet? Visa account numbers start with a 4, MC account numbers start with a 5.
Sorry about that, I thought this was a Sapphire Preferred thread for some reason. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:53 pm

applied for the chase united and chase hyatt card a couple days ago that went to pending, and after a few days the 2 accounts were approved and appeared in our list of accounts after logging into chase online. Called chase to ask them to expedite these cards, but was told they could not do that, stating that for co-branded partner credit cards like chase united or chase hyatt, the partner needs to do further verification and that it could take up to 2 weeks. Has any one else been told something similar?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Yes, but connecting the accounts rarely takes two weeks, and if you have a truly pressing need for a card, they can expedite some cards in some cases.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:52 pm

I need suggestion please. I do not have any Chase cards as of now. Just am AU on 2 of them. I am planning on applying for the United MileagePlus Explorer card, as it shows I am eligible for the 55K miles offer, and want to apply for the SW Premier card which has 50K offer. Since both are personal cards, applying on the same day would result in only 1 hard pull is what I gather from reading online. But I am afraid if I am missing something here, can the experts please confirm if I am fine with this, or anything better? Also the 5/24 rule does not apply in my case as both are Co-branded cards right? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Appum
I need suggestion please. I do not have any Chase cards as of now. Just am AU on 2 of them. I am planning on applying for the United MileagePlus Explorer card, as it shows I am eligible for the 55K miles offer, and want to apply for the SW Premier card which has 50K offer. Since both are personal cards, applying on the same day would result in only 1 hard pull is what I gather from reading online. But I am afraid if I am missing something here, can the experts please confirm if I am fine with this, or anything better? Also the 5/24 rule does not apply in my case as both are Co-branded cards right? Thanks.
I'm going to assume you have not read/comprehended the wiki and the recent pages of this thread. If you have, the following may be irrelevant, but based on what you posted I have no way of knowing.

So you don't have any Chase cards yet. Have you had more than 5 new cc accounts opened in the past 24 months? If not, you shouldn't be applying for the UA card just yet, since you can get that later. You should be applying for a CSP first, and soon afterwards a Freedom card. The UA can be applied for sometime in the near future, but once you have opened 5 new accounts in the past 24 months the CSP will be totally unavailable to you. Most likely forever.

Right now the CSP has a 50K sign up bonus with a 5K extra bonus for adding an AU. Way too good to pass up. If this isn't totally clear to you, PM me.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

Applied for the ink plus today as sole prop using ssn.got a message asking me to call in ASAP and giving me a ref# .i called in and was told it was to verify I'd and after some questions about id,was approved with a 26k credit line.I have had 10 or so cards opened in the last 2 years (most of them in 2014).
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by schilpa
Applied for the ink plus today as sole prop using ssn.got a message asking me to call in ASAP and giving me a ref# .i called in and was told it was to verify I'd and after some questions about id,was approved with a 26k credit line.I have had 10 or so cards opened in the last 2 years (most of them in 2014).
It would be useful to know
  • if your business actually exists
  • what income you declared
  • how old you told Chase the business is
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Another data point:

Applied for BA and was approved with C/L of 5K. Same day applied for UA MP Explorer Biz. Went to pending state, when I called in, I got a '2 weeks' message. About a month later, I got a letter saying I was declined for having reached my max credit limit with Chase. I sent a secure message asking them to move some credit line from my ink account. A week later got a letter in the mail saying that on further review, they have not changed the decision.

So, even though not calling in may be better than calling in, it does not guarantee approval and they will not always move credit around to approve you.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:15 pm

I'm shocked at all the noobs lately applying for several Chase cards only a few days apart from each other and actually getting approved. Then they wonder why they weren't approved for a 3rd Chase card a week or two after the first 2 cards. Craziness.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by Superorb
I'm shocked at all the noobs lately applying for several Chase cards only a few days apart from each other and actually getting approved. Then they wonder why they weren't approved for a 3rd Chase card a week or two after the first 2 cards. Craziness.
People often apply for multiple cards on the same day since hard pulls will be merged (though biz and personal inquiries are NOT merged). Plus, Chase doesn't have strict limits like Citi does so it's more YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by aza72
Another data point:

Applied for BA and was approved with C/L of 5K. Same day applied for UA MP Explorer Biz. Went to pending state, when I called in, I got a '2 weeks' message. About a month later, I got a letter saying I was declined for having reached my max credit limit with Chase. I sent a secure message asking them to move some credit line from my ink account. A week later got a letter in the mail saying that on further review, they have not changed the decision.

So, even though not calling in may be better than calling in, it does not guarantee approval and they will not always move credit around to approve you.
The old advice to keep significant CL with Chase to move to a new app is way out of date. It's been the case for some time now that when your TCCL is too high, they will frequently refuse your app and not allow you to move any CL over. Often they will not even let you close one card to get an app approved.

Best procedure is to lower your TCCL before doing a app, so that you don't run into this problem. When I get a new card from any bank, I meet the min spend quickly. Then I SM them to lower the CL to whatever level I'm ever realistically going to use. Some people may actually use a $25K CL, but I'm not likely to use more than a couple thousand on most of my cards. So I keep my TCL with any bank around $25K, no matter how many cards I have with them. If you meet your min spnd in the first billing cycle, pay that off, have the statement post, then immediately SM to lower the CL, whenever you want to do another app with that bank you are good to go. Paying off your total spend each billing period before it posts keeps your utilitzation score low, which is good for your FICO. Just don't do this if you are going to run a monthly balance. Which of course you shouldn't ever do anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If you have a chase card that defaulted (years ago) can you ever apply for any chase cards? Also, will having chase banking account and a healthy balance help?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.