Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
My friend only has 3 credit cards (US bank, Costco and Discover card) which he applied over 10 years ago.

He wants to tread lightly in the start of the credit card sign up.

He wants to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and one other card within a week. Should I suggest he apply for CSP and within 5 days apply for the IHG card?

He doesn't need miles as he has standby privilege on United (retired employee)

If not the IHG card which would you recommend for him? SPG Personal, Citi Premier???
Since nobody seems to be interested to answer your blanket questions, I would give it a stab.

First of all, with the current Chase policy, there is no argument that your friend should get his UR cards FIRST. That does not always mean just the CSP. He should also consider an Ink card and decide whether the Plus or the Cash work better.

Then you should look at the Purpose of getting other cards - obviously it is for hotel stays. Then what are you and your friend's future travel plans? Where you go? Which hotel chains have the best options, at how much pt levels? From that information then work backward to determine WHICH is the next card (likely the hotel card) your friend should apply.

The primary usage of TYP is for the transfer to airline partners because TYP other redemption options are rather poor. So if you plan to fly SQ, then the Premier card helps, especially with the generous earning structures.

The Plus side of the Premier is, not only it is 0 forex fee, but more importantly Mastercard does not pad the exchange rate like the Visa. Do you know CSP constantly charges 1% HIGHER on foreign transaction when comparing to what Mastercard charges? Even an AMEX charges LESS than CSP when you carefully compare the exchange rate. There is a long running thread in the credit card forum with lots of data points on how Visa consistently jacked up the exchange rates by 1%.

So if your forex spend runs in thousands on each trip, the 1% can make a small difference using a Premier versus using a CSP.

If your friend is not a Gold Passport member, sign him up. He might be able to get a targeted offer on the Hyatt card now has a version of 50K bonus instead of 2 free nights. Ditto he should have an IHG account so probably see a better offer given programs often target new members with more lucrative offers.

Just dont make the newbie mistake to apply a card and then later find out the bonus is not it seems to be, i.e. do not fit your need.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Does anybody know Chase's automated line for status check? I applied and it showed "USPS mail 30 days" message. Just want to check the latest status but doesn't want to speak to a rep.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by metoo
My friend only has 3 credit cards (US bank, Costco and Discover card) which he applied over 10 years ago.

He wants to tread lightly in the start of the credit card sign up.

He wants to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and one other card within a week. Should I suggest he apply for CSP and within 5 days apply for the IHG card?

He doesn't need miles as he has standby privilege on United (retired employee)

If not the IHG card which would you recommend for him? SPG Personal, Citi Premier???
Those are all good choices. I just got about $1,400 in value out of the IHG sign-up bonus. It has a low minimum spend requirement. I think the Hyatt card is perfect for beginners in the game. Low minimum spend and no major restrictions on redemptions as the free award nights are good for all categories of hotels. With those two free nights and a $50 statement credit, it's hard to beat that sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I agree that Hyatt is a great card among the non-UR Chase entries. The two free nights first year, if played right, can be worth a lot. After that, there are plenty of category 4 properties well worth the annual fee. Also, it's our restaurant card, at 2x, and easy to get real 2 cents per point value on Hyatt points, it's a good spend.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I agree that Hyatt is a great card among the non-UR Chase entries. The two free nights first year, if played right, can be worth a lot. After that, there are plenty of category 4 properties well worth the annual fee. Also, it's our restaurant card, at 2x, and easy to get real 2 cents per point value on Hyatt points, it's a good spend.
Yup. Will be hitting Tokyo in Oct 2016 and just got approved for the Hyatt card. Will definitely be cashing my 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, maybe have a drink with Bill Murray and Scarlett J too.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:29 pm

I applied for a CSP back in May and was rejected due to having too many new accounts opened in the last two years. I opened a CSP back in November or December of 2011 and converted it to a Freeedom when the first annual fee came due.

After waiting several months, I'm down to two or three new accounts in the past two years. I've currently got a Freedom with a $23k CL and a Hyatt with $8k CL. Are there any data points that suggest/don't suggest another shot at applying for the CSP would be successful at this point?

Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:39 pm

No way totell, however, reducing the limit on your Freedom to only what you need would certainly help your chances considerably.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Forecasting the future of Hyatt cards from Chase (and SPG cards from Amex) may be tricky at this point, given the news today that Hyatt seems ready to buy Starwood as early as next week. I would think if that happens at some point (not super soon, but enough to affect thinking about what a card gives long-term) the two programs would be merged into one, but which one with which card?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Got denied for too many accounts open.. (18 accounts[inquiries] in 2 years LOL)
Applied for Chase Slate.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Jasonkr
Got denied for too many accounts open.. (18 accounts[inquiries] in 2 years LOL)
Applied for Chase Slate.
That falls within current rules.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:53 pm

I received a targeted offer for Ink Plus.
Does that get around the new application rules?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Forecasting the future of Hyatt cards from Chase (and SPG cards from Amex) may be tricky at this point, given the news today that Hyatt seems ready to buy Starwood as early as next week. I would think if that happens at some point (not super soon, but enough to affect thinking about what a card gives long-term) the two programs would be merged into one, but which one with which card?
Or like HHonors both Citi and AMEX issue the co-brand card.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:03 am
Suspended

Would be nice to know how the 24months is computed (daily/monthly?).

I got my last BA Bonus on Dec 2013 and not sure when I can apply. Dont want to apply in Dec 2015 and then waste a hp and a denied bonus after meeting large spend. Safer to wait until Jan 2016 but probably long gone by then.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Would be nice to know how the 24months is computed (daily/monthly?).

I got my last BA Bonus on Dec 2013 and not sure when I can apply. Dont want to apply in Dec 2015 and then waste a hp and a denied bonus after meeting large spend. Safer to wait until Jan 2016 but probably long gone by then.
I got my card around that time too. Sadly, I took until ~August of 2014 to complete all 3 tiers of spend.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by trueblue84
Does anybody know Chase's automated line for status check? I applied and it showed "USPS mail 30 days" message. Just want to check the latest status but doesn't want to speak to a rep.
the first phone number in the wiki!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.