Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by fobster
My understanding is typically it takes about 24 months after you cancel to get a new card for a sign-up bonus. Do I need to cancel this old MileagePlus card in order for me to open another one (2yrs from now) to get the bonus? Or will this cc make no differnce?
You really need to read the wiki at the top of this page, which explains the 24-month clock (which operates differently from your understanding). It also answers your second question, as well as others you may not have thought to ask.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by kamranmahmood87
I recently applied for CSP and have been asked by Chase to fax SSN card and driving license (proof of address). Has anybody experienced this before? My SSN number is rather new (only 3 months old) but I already have Chase Freedom and am AU on my wife's CSP.

Is it safe to fax the SSN card? A financial institution, of all people, should understand the risk of identity theft, no?
A family member of mine recently applied for a United MP Biz card and was asked to fax SSN card. I think his SSN number is old, something around 40 yrs. He opted to mail in the copy via USPS. Two weeks later, he called and was asked one question, "How many Chase card do you have?". He said one, and was approved.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by DeaconY
Does the change in automated message mean a decision has been made (+ or -)?
Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
It probably means they are waiting on you to provide them more information about the business which is why the app is being delayed because they haven't been able to reach you.

I would recommend you call because if you really only had 2 cards in the last 2 years and a 12+ year relationship with Chase you have absolutely nothing to fear. You probably will be approved they may just need to verify some information.
Not likely Deacon, I concur with knowledgeispower's response on all points from what you wrote.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by CRNA
I plan on applying for the CSP before the Freedom as it is harder to get.
I recommend doing the opposite in your current situation.

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
My suggestion is wait until you get a full time job. The CSP is considered a premium card and thus they look at income and other things not just strictly credit scores. Example car payments and length of credit history. Get the Freedom card and use the 5X spends to build up a point total and then get a CSP later. It seems all the banks are getting tougher on CC approvals.
Concur!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
My suggestion is wait until you get a full time job. The CSP is considered a premium card and thus they look at income and other things not just strictly credit scores. Example car payments and length of credit history. Get the Freedom card and use the 5X spends to build up a point total and then get a CSP later. It seems all the banks are getting tougher on CC approvals.
Though I would add, take it easy on your churning/MS/opening lots of cards for sign-up bonuses, if you plan to eventually get a CSP. Hard to know what Chase might be doing in a few years, but as of now opening a Freedom to build a baseline point balance with the plan to open a CSP later for transfer partners is looking somewhat risky, especially if you plan to open other cards in the meantime and/or use the Freedom primarily for bonus category spending.

If you are not tied to UR points I might recommend considering the Amex Premier Rewards Gold. It is a charge card rather than a credit card so the issuer is theoretically taking less risk by extending it to someone with a limited credit history, and you therefore might be more likely to get approved. There is a "secret"-ish 50K point sign-up bonus offer link over on the Amex FT board. Though, if you are looking strictly to churn sign-up bonuses, Amex has put an end to that practice.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
How about CL? Is the total CL extended to you by Chase and your income very similar to your wife? If one's CL is more or income is less that could be the reason. If not then maybe there is another criteria that is being used that we are not aware of yet.

Like I said, both our applications are nearly identical with the same income given on both our apps (we use the combine total household annual income) also like I said my total CL with chase is actually less than wife's by about $8000 as I had them reduce it 3 mths back. And my Fico score is better also. I was declined for a Chase co branded BA card while she was approved, so yes, it's definitely YMMV with Chase as logic would say I should be approved instead of her
Like I said both our apps were identical in every way except the , Name, DOB and SSN and email address were the only info that's different.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sharka
Like I said, both our applications are nearly identical with the same income given on both our apps (we use the combine total household annual income) also like I said my total CL with chase is actually less than wife's by about $8000 as I had them reduce it 3 mths back. And my Fico score is better also. I was declined for a Chase co branded BA card while she was approved, so yes, it's definitely YMMV with Chase as logic would say I should be approved instead of her
Like I said both our apps were identical in every way except the , Name, DOB and SSN and email address were the only info that's different.
Very interesting thank you for the data point. Must be some other metric in the equation!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Last year I waited two months and 27 days between Chase business card applications and was denied. I waited four more months and was approved for the Ink Plus and the CSP on the same day.

Problem is that was LAST YEAR when Chase was much friendlier before the almost total shut down starting just a few months ago. It's a different Chase world now and it's not for the better.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:04 am

Just applied for the United Biz MileagePlus Explorer Card. It went pending. I called the number listed in the wiki and it said they will notify me in 2 weeks. Now is this part of the Wiki still hold true:
"note: automated line responses stating they will notify you in 2 weeks often result in an approval; automated lines responses stating they will notify you in 7-10 days often result in a denial."

Should I even bother calling into recon or let it take its due course?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:00 am

Can I lower my CL with Chase via secure message, or do I have to call?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:07 am

So much sky is falling in this thread. Got into "The Hobby" around March of this year.

History with Chase:
MPExplorer (product change from MPSelect) since 1/2011 (have paid annual fee yearly, my original card)
CSP since 5/2015

Also opened this year:
- Barclays US Air
- Citi AA Gold
- Citi AA Plat
- Chase MPE (AU - on spouse's account)
- Chase Freedom (AU - on spouse's account)

Applied for Chase BA; auto approval for $25k.

I do nicely trim my credit lines on all accounts.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:14 am

I wonder, JUST WONDER, if paying a nominal amount of yearly interest would help at all, for example on auto-approval. Leaving a revolving $50 balance on a card would be approx $10/year in interest which is nothing if it will get you more approvals from the Golden Goose of JPMorganChase.

Sometimes I laugh to myself reading what some of the people do over in the reddit /churning forum. Do all these terrible things to the banks and then wonder when they get denied. I have no problem paying the CSP annual fee to continue to feed at the trough of Chase.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Interesting possibility

Originally Posted by sharka
So the only difference is the fact that you actively reduced your credit lines at some point before the application. Possible that Chase took note and viewed this negatively somehow; perhaps they consider it a trait of a a rewards seeker. Personally, I don't know of any non-churner/MSer that actively calls and asks to reduce their credit lines. In general a higher credit line is a good thing for a consumer who doesn't carry a balance.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Hemera
Can I lower my CL with Chase via secure message, or do I have to call?
Yes, you can do this by SM. I have done so once.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by awval999
I wonder, JUST WONDER, if paying a nominal amount of yearly interest would help at all, for example on auto-approval. Leaving a revolving $50 balance on a card would be approx $10/year in interest which is nothing if it will get you more approvals from the Golden Goose of JPMorganChase.

Sometimes I laugh to myself reading what some of the people do over in the reddit /churning forum. Do all these terrible things to the banks and then wonder when they get denied. I have no problem paying the CSP annual fee to continue to feed at the trough of Chase.
At the end of the day RNE's advice is probably the best one. Be a good customer and don't just take advantage of Chase and they will be good to you.

It's probably a good idea to open a few of the Chase hotel cards like IHG and Hyatt which you will probably keep open year after year and thus pay the annual fee on because of their valuable annual reward night certificate. That plus the Freedom card which you shouldn't close in the first place. For me I also keep the Amazon visa open because I opened that 4+ years ago although now I realize there are better cards for Amazon so don't use as much. For me I also keep my United card open and pay the annual fee because the free baggage alone pays for my card yearly so I get value out of all the annual fee cards and am willing to pay for them beyond just the sign-up bonus.

At the end of the day you want to use most if not all the cards you open with them. This is what allowed the Senior Analyst to overturn my denial when I recently applied for the Hyatt card with a lot of recent cards open (non-Chase on my application that caused a Credit Analyst to deny my application)

I still don't agree that you should put non-category spend on all your cards. I also don't agree that you need to carry a balance and pay interest. There's nothing wrong with being wise with how you spend your money and on which cards, if anything it indicates you are a responsible borrower. Having said that, I put most of my non-category spend on my Chase United because I personally value United miles at $0.02/mile and find them most flexible for my needs as I live in a small town which is primarily serviced by United. For others it may be wise to use the Chase Sapphire Preferred for most of their non-category spend. I still have other cards from other banks that I use pretty heavily as well but it is good to use at least 1 Chase card for non-category spend in my opinion. (Not to mention the protection benefits that come with a Chase premium card like the United or CSP or Hyatt cards for example are some of the best of any bank!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.