Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by duranza
I just found a 50k offer for the United Explorer on my husband's UA account.
Seems to be a targeted offer, only problem is with 9 HP over the last 24 mos across all banks I don't think he has a good chance to get the card ( again) right now.
He has 5 Chase cards but very low CL overall ( dropped most after acquiring them)
Targeted offer from UA is different from preapproved from Chase, and has more to do with relationship with UA than credit history or relationship with chase. When was the last time he had the card? He may not be eligible for the bonus anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
My turn is coming soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
I have applied for 23 cards in the last 24 months and was approved for 16, but somehow I was just auto-approved for number 17.

It is my second Hyatt card. I canceled the first one after 28 months on 7/6/15.

With Chase, I've opened and closed the Hyatt card, an Ink Bold MC, one Southwest Premier personal and one business. I currently have an Ink Plus, Ink Bold Visa, Sapphire Preferred, a British Airways (previous most recently opened Chase card 2/1/15) and now my new Hyatt card.

I have a modest six figure income and a 775 FICO. I mostly just meet the minimum spend without any MS and sock drawer just in time to start working on a new sign up bonus for DW or myself. If I'm in between new cards (which isn't often considering we've been approved for 45 cards in 31 months) I use my CSP.

For the record, I have accepted their retention offers and then canceled shortly thereafter every time.

What does all this mean to me? I am definitely auto-approvable even though I can not possibly be profitable!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The canceled Hyatt card had a line of $12.5K which I gave back hoping it would recycle after a month or so. However I was only approved for $5K on the new Hyatt. My personal total credit line with Chase was $42.5K (which included the old Hyatt card). My business line is $22K. Apparently the $12.5K did not recycle in ~six weeks.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Aug 16, 2015 at 1:28 am
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
I don't follow you. I'm clicking on the links throughout your post and none of them are working. What do you mean?
Are you serious? If so, let me explain:

Underlined words are not links, unless they show in blue. My underlined words were in black, so they're not links. I had no links at all in my post.

This is a link. This is not a link.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:23 am
RNE

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Exactly - which is why this is my favorite site on the web that has helped me highly subsidize so many excellent vacations!
You're welcome. Glad to know my ten-years (yes, 10!) of excellent analysis, advice and prognostication are appreciated.

I give you credit for providing comic relief with your eccentric posts throughout this thread.
Thank you. In this thread even faint praise is a godsend.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by aza72
Targeted offer from UA is different from preapproved from Chase, and has more to do with relationship with UA than credit history or relationship with chase. When was the last time he had the card? He may not be eligible for the bonus anyway.
He got the card in Nov of 2012 and 50k bonus miles in Dec. 2012 closed the card in Oct. 2013
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:28 pm

Implications for AOR's

If I understand the new rules, a key implication for those planing a number of applications for new cards but has not done many before (sometimes called an AOR) would appear to be to start with the Chase branded cards they want. As a specific application, my wife decided to help out with the family finances by getting some cards in her name, when she has not had many new ones recently (being authorized users on my cards as needed).

If she gets Chase branded ones, they may not interfere too much with those from other banks, but if the other banks ones are gotten first, she could run up against the Chase rules discussed here. If our case, plausible cards are a Slate for a balance transfer, and a Sapphire Preferred for its bonuses. Another Freedom might be nice,but she has one from many years ago.

There are assorted other cards that may be useful for family finance, such as a new Amex Blue Preferred, a TD Cash Rewards etc. It would seem best to do the Chase Slate first, wait a decent interval (how long?), and then apply for the other cards. Hopefully, this might result in the desired Chase cards, and the others, while if done in the opposite order, chase might claim the 5 card rules had been violated.

Is this reasoning right?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:10 pm

Authorized Users

One other implication may be not to have authorized users, if Chase counts them.

I (and I suspect many others) have routinely put our spouses on our cards as authorized users , both so they can use the cards if needed, and so the added credit lines would show on their reports, and lower their utilization.

If this adversely affects your chances of approval for certain Chase cards, this might argue for not doing this.

Is this reasoning correct, and is it worth taking spouses off as authorized users just to increase the probability of a Chase approval.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ed765
Is this reasoning right?
It can't hurt. But the info Chase seems to be using is cards showing opened on credit reports, not pulls, so it's not instantaneous the way pulls are. However, since they could change that at any moment, it would seem prudent (even if not "proven" necessary) to apply for the Chase UR cards before anything else.

But keep in mind that Chase is (at least until challenged) counting the adding of an authorized user as an "open". So make sure you understand the "authorized user" issue before you proceed. (IIRC, some people upthread had to remove themselves from being authorized users on Chase cards before they could get approved for a new card in their own name!)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:00 pm

Applied for the wife for an Ink on May 11th, got pending, she refuses to call. Tried to SM to no avail. One of the reasons for the denial was too many applications in the past 24 months, let's just say 10+.
Fast forward late July and I get the wife a Citi Hilton and Citi AA Gold. So add in two more apps to her already huge amount of applications.
Applied again for the Ink card on 8/10/15 got pending and asked to call. Of course didn't call. I decided to call their automated line 8/16 to check status and found out she was approved.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
Originally Posted by cvhatton
Applied for the wife for an Ink on May 11th, got pending, she refuses to call. Tried to SM to no avail. One of the reasons for the denial was too many applications in the past 24 months, let's just say 10+.
Fast forward late July and I get the wife a Citi Hilton and Citi AA Gold. So add in two more apps to her already huge amount of applications.
Applied again for the Ink card on 8/10/15 got pending and asked to call. Of course didn't call. I decided to call their automated line 8/16 to check status and found out she was approved.
Very interesting! This could mean that Chase is loosening up their "5 new cards or less in past 24 months rule" OR it could mean they are more lenient with approving Chase business credit cards than with Chase personal credit cards. (ASAIK, all versions of Chase Ink are for business use, not personal use.)

Anyone else here recently approved for a Chase Ink card despite having opened 5 or more other cards in the past 24 months? (I haven't read all 300+ pages of this thread, and this question isn't currently addressed in the Wiki.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
If I understand the new rules, a key implication for those planing a number of applications for new cards but has not done many before (sometimes called an AOR) would appear to be to start with the Chase branded cards they want. As a specific application, my wife decided to help out with the family finances by getting some cards in her name, when she has not had many new ones recently (being authorized users on my cards as needed).

If she gets Chase branded ones, they may not interfere too much with those from other banks, but if the other banks ones are gotten first, she could run up against the Chase rules discussed here. If our case, plausible cards are a Slate for a balance transfer, and a Sapphire Preferred for its bonuses. Another Freedom might be nice,but she has one from many years ago.

There are assorted other cards that may be useful for family finance, such as a new Amex Blue Preferred, a TD Cash Rewards etc. It would seem best to do the Chase Slate first, wait a decent interval (how long?), and then apply for the other cards. Hopefully, this might result in the desired Chase cards, and the others, while if done in the opposite order, chase might claim the 5 card rules had been violated.

Is this reasoning right?
One other implication may be not to have authorized users, if Chase counts them.

I (and I suspect many others) have routinely put our spouses on our cards as authorized users , both so they can use the cards if needed, and so the added credit lines would show on their reports, and lower their utilization.

If this adversely affects your chances of approval for certain Chase cards, this might argue for not doing this.

Is this reasoning correct, and is it worth taking spouses off as authorized users just to increase the probability of a Chase approval.

Your understanding is correct to the best of our knowledge.

1. I would have her apply for all Chase branded cards first to increase chances of approval, with the card she wants most first of course. Probably Slate first as a BT for 0% 15 months can probably add more value than the CSP depending on how much she is carrying. I would apply for both back to back, same day, and see what happens. If pending apps then go ahead and apply for other cards from other banks since once it's pending they already did a HP so no worries about them seeing other apps.

2. Yes AU will affect the decision in some cases. Keep in mind calling in to remove an AU should remove that card from that persons credit reports within 1-2 months however in my experience some banks don't comply with this (ironically Chase). What I had to do is file an online dispute with each bureau about those cards saying they are closed AU's and by law have to be removed. All disputes were successfully completed and the cards removed from report within 1-7 days of filing the report. I would check your reports and decide accordingly from there.

Actually what we have noticed is if you get an AU card from a bank that doesn't issue the AU their own number (almost every bank except Amex), you can cancel the AU which will remove that person from the credit bureaus, but their card will still work 100% until the expiration date. This is because when you swipe the card the name is irrelevant, the account number and expiration is all that is verified and the name is just for an ID check so they can still keep their AU card. The bank will tell you this, that if you cancel an AU the card still will work and so if it is a result of something like a divorce they will recommend issuing a new number usually (you can just say no thank you I already have the card in my possession or destroyed it and they will keep the same card number for you)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by JudyS
Anyone else here recently approved for a Chase Ink card despite having opened 5 or more other cards in the past 24 months? (I haven't read all 300+ pages of this thread, and this question isn't currently addressed in the Wiki.)
Sort of. Applied last week and called the automated line today and was approved. This was #6, but one was an amex backdated.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pointvortex
Sort of. Applied last week and called the automated line today and was approved. This was #6, but one was an amex backdated.
Not only did the AMEX probably not count, due to backdating, but the rule isn't "5" anyway, it's "more than 5".
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by pointvortex
Originally Posted by Brugge
Not only did the AMEX probably not count, due to backdating, but the rule isn't "5" anyway, it's "more than 5".
The rule also doesn't apply to the Ink, but only to Slate, CSP & Freedom.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:52 am

Hyatt reapply

A little over a month ago I applied for 3 Chase cards one right after another: Marriott, Hyatt, and Disney, in that order. I was auto approved for the Marriott, denied for the Hyatt, and then waited out the two weeks and was approved for the Disney. When I called the recon line in my declination letter I was told that they would not extend me any additional credit over what I had just received. My actual declination letter stated the reason was I tried to apply for too many cards at one time. Anyway, I was approved for 28k on the Marriott and 17k for the Disney. I have since lowered my CL on each to 18k and 10k, respectively. So I am now 17k lighter in credit from what Chase initially gave me. When do you guys think would be a good time to reapply for the Hyatt card? Is one month and some change long enough, not long enough? I am hoping that with the limit decreases I will just sail through with an auto-approval this time, but not sure about that because of my initial rejection. Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. I already have my popcorn ready for the ensuing pontifications of RNE and knowledgeispower, sprinkled with a dash of sdsearch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.