Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:57 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by beltway
All,

I'd like to renew discussion on an issue that has been the subject of back-and-forth edits in the wiki recently: the question of whether Chase business cards count toward 5/24.

That report does also link to a blog post (Mommy Points) with anecdotal evidence in the blogger's own experience of biz cards being excluded. In sum, that's 1 FT report and one blogger's report--hardly enough IMO to justify the unqualified assertion made in the new text.

But before attempting to dial back this overstatement (and perhaps getting into an endless edit war), I'd like the group to take collective stock of what we actually know. Do we have additional first-hand reports that support either view?

Thanks for bringing this up and keeping the wiki extremely accurate.

Hopefully the collective wisdom here will provide clarity, but it seems to me that the issue is not so much Chase business cards, but rather, CSR applications. The CSR approval process is dotted with success stories of people far above 5/24, which has been thoroughly covered in the various CSR threads, but not specifically updated in this mega-thread. My household far exceeded 5/24 and we have 2 CSR cards, initially denied for "too many credit cards opened," that were overridden in recon. I cannot comment directly on Chase business card apps, as they were not the deciding factor in our particular case.

Could it be that there are multiple factors in play here?

It would be nice to clarify, in preparation for the likely split of this mega-thread for a 2017 version.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:04 am

After getting the CSR for multiple family members, my experience has been that Chase is quite open to letting you justify the "too many accounts" issues.

In my (3) experiences, by simply asking:

- AU accounts were disregarded after asking.
- Store only cards were either disregarded after asking or didn't even show up on their "too many accounts" list.
- Chase business cards were not part of their "too many accounts" criteria.

To me it seemed like, on all 3 occasions, that the analysts were happy to 'over-look' any accounts I could provide a plausible explanation for (AU accounts, department/furniture store cards, etc.)

I know this isn't new knowledge but just another DP that if you are above 5/24 with AUs, dept store cards, car loans, etc; but otherwise under 5/24, you have hope! Just research your credit report before hand and make a list so you can present your argument clearly and quickly.

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Dec 17, 2016 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
it seems to me that the issue is not so much Chase business cards, but rather, CSR applications. The CSR approval process is dotted with success stories of people far above 5/24, which has been thoroughly covered in the various CSR threads, but not specifically updated in this mega-thread. My household far exceeded 5/24 and we have 2 CSR cards, initially denied for "too many credit cards opened," that were overridden in recon. I cannot comment directly on Chase business card apps, as they were not the deciding factor in our particular case.

I confess that I don't read the CSR threads, and there has been comparatively little discussion about that card in this thread. It does sound odd to have initial denials followed by successful recons for 5+++/24 applicants. That certainly doesn't match the reports for other cards subject to a hard 5/24 rule (UA MPE) or to the exceptions (IHG, Hyatt, &c.) documented in the wiki. And both data points cited in the recent wiki edit do indeed involve a CSR application.

Can you or someone else provide links to a few such examples (or, better still, to a wiki in the other thread(s) collecting same)?

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
After getting the CSR for multiple family members, my experience has been that Chase is quite open to letting you justify the "too many accounts" issues.

In my (3) experiences, by simply asking:

- AU accounts were disregarded after asking.
- Store only cards were either disregarded after asking or didn't even show up on their "too many accounts" list.
- Chase business cards were not part of their "too many accounts" criteria.

To me it seemed like, on all 3 occasions, that the analysts were happy to 'over-look' any accounts I could provide a plausible explanation for (AU accounts, department/furniture store cards, etc.)

I know this isn't new knowledge but just another DP that if you are above 5/24 with AUs, dept store cards, car loans, etc; but otherwise under 5/24, you have hope! Just research your credit report before hand and make a list so you can present your argument clearly and quickly.
Thanks. This is such a Bizarro World policy if it exists, but I suppose nothing from Chase should amaze me at this stage.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
It seems likely that the underwriting standards for new product launches are different than for established cards.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It seems likely that the underwriting standards for new product launches are different than for established cards.
That's plausible--but why would Chase implement them such that you can easily overcome the 5/24 restriction by calling into recon? That's the part of this theory I find mystifying.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia

If this is the case, it would be nice to know how the new INK card applications are playing out.

The CSR certainly has multiple paths to approval, including recon calls, in branch approval and CPC status.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
All,

I'd like to renew discussion on an issue that has been the subject of back-and-forth edits in the wiki recently: the question of whether Chase business cards count toward 5/24.

Until recently, the relevant section of the wiki read as follows:

Another FTer has now edited the wiki to read as follows:

This new version seems to me to substantially overstate the case for Chase business cards being excluded from the 5/24 count. First, the link to the alleged report from 2 FTers provides only a single report, along with an embedded (in quoted text) claim with no substantiation. That report does also link to a blog post (Mommy Points) with anecdotal evidence in the blogger's own experience of Chase biz cards being excluded. In sum, that's 1 FT report and one blogger's report--hardly enough IMO to justify the unqualified assertion made in the new text.

But before attempting to dial back this overstatement (and perhaps getting into an endless edit war), I'd like the group to take collective stock of what we actually know. Do we have additional first-hand reports that support either view?
I'm not sure what we can know. In other words:

1. Most people who report don't confirm that they have an accurate exact count of their 5/24 status, by having actually pulled a credit report right around the time they applied, actually counted the non-AU bank cards on there with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months, and accurately counted any Chase business cards they also opened in the past 24 months.

2. We still don't seem to be absolutely of what 5/24 means for exactly 5 cards opened in the past 24 months. It appears to by YMMV. Is that solely because of the confusion about Chase business cards or not? If not, then that's an additional degree of noise that has to factored out somehow.

3. I'm not sure if we know if the 5/24 rules works slightly differently for instant approvals vs human-processed approvals. Lots of people again don't report whether they got an instant or human-processed approval.

So IMHO there's only a tine fraction of datapoints that are complete and accurate enough to come to conclusions, and they're hard to find among the "noise" of less complete datapoints that abound (often with not-quite-justified conclusions attached).

So, in conclusion, I think language in the wiki which makes it clear we're not sure on such margin issues (exactly 5, Chase business cards, etc) is probably the best! But as to how exactly that uncertainty should be expressed in the wiki, I'll leave to others to judge.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:28 pm

The Wiki in the CSR thread cross references this thread and currently has the following text in regards to the 5/24 rule:

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. To read a summary of the policy click HERE. To discuss it click HERE.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Here are some suggestions for the Applying For wiki and the CSR wiki to kick around:

In-Branch pre-approval showing a fixed (not variable) interest rate and a green screen on the bankers side appears to be the only sure-fire approval for those over 5/24. Some data points indicate that preemptively lowering overall credit limits with Chase can trigger a pre-approval shortly thereafter.

However, numerous data points, following the roll-out of this card, indicate that many individuals have gotten approval for the CSR, in spite of being over 5/24, or even if they have been initially denied for this card. It is unknown if this will change when the initial sign up offer changes, or at some other point in time, such as when a certain number of cards have been issued. We do know that other proprietary Chase cards, such as the Sapphire and Freedom cards, require strict adherence to the 5/24 rule. There were no data points on overrides of 5/24 for the recent roll out of the Freedom Unlimited card.

CPC status certainly helps, especially in recon calls.

Recon calls have proven successful in overriding a denial for "too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years."

It is unknown whether Chase business cards would be counted in the 5/24 rule, if no other known factors for denial exist.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:18 pm

When I applied for CSR I was sitting at 6/24 with one Ink and one AU

I was denied and called recon I specifically asked how many cards they showed for me and they listed 5- I had them read them off to me to confirm it matched my records(the ink was not included)

1 of those was an AU that I successfully had removed and was approved for the card.

The ink card was never mentioned nor cited in my recon call.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:44 pm

Another data point for the Reserve card:

Applied online when card first came out - denied.
Applied in branch a few days later - denied.
Applied in branch this week - approved.

WAY over 5/24. I am not a Private Client. The banker offered that I could also get the Sapphire Preferred at the same time if I wanted. Or the new Ink card. I was shocked.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Another data point for the Reserve card:

Applied online when card first came out - denied.
Applied in branch a few days later - denied.
Applied in branch this week - approved.

WAY over 5/24. I am not a Private Client. The banker offered that I could also get the Sapphire Preferred at the same time if I wanted. Or the new Ink card. I was shocked.
Did the banker mention anything about being Pre Approved? Did you happen to see the banker's monitor? Did you take the banker's offer?

Maybe he saw that you were pre approved for all Chase Proprietary Credit Cards and when you said CSR, he applied for that one. Thing is, pre approvals it usually disappear immediately after the banker picks one and applies.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Did the banker mention anything about being Pre Approved? Did you happen to see the banker's monitor? Did you take the banker's offer?

Maybe he saw that you were pre approved for all Chase Proprietary Credit Cards and when you said CSR, he applied for that one. Thing is, pre approvals it usually disappear immediately after the banker picks one and applies.
I didn't see the screen.

I asked if I was pre-approved for any. He said I could get whichever I wanted. I for sure took him up on it! Have been wanting the CSR.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:29 am

I am at 5/24. On 3/15/2017, one of my credit cards will be 2yr old. I want to apply for a chase card after that. Can I apply for it anytime after 3/15/2017? Should I wait until 04/01/2017? Or later? How does chase count the 24 months, by days, months, etc? Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by junks2010
I am at 5/24. On 3/15/2017, one of my credit cards will be 2yr old. I want to apply for a chase card after that. Can I apply for it anytime after 3/15/2017? Should I wait until 04/01/2017? Or later? How does chase count the 24 months, by days, months, etc? Thanks.
I would wait at least until April 1. I was at 6/24 with one card that was 2 yrs old on 12/15/16. Yesterday, I applied for a MR personal card and I got the "pending" response. Let's see what happens. If I get rejected, I'll call the recon line because I have 3 more cards during the last 24 months where I'm just an AU.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I would wait at least until April 1. I was at 6/24 with one card that was 2 yrs old on 12/15/16. Yesterday, I applied for a MR personal card and I got the "pending" response. Let's see what happens. If I get rejected, I'll call the recon line because I have 3 more cards during the last 24 months where I'm just an AU.
Please keep us posted. If you have to call the recon line for the reason of too many cards open, please ask them which cards they count toward the 5/24. I just want to make sure whether or not they count the card that is 2yr old on 12/15/16. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.