Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 16, 10:17 am
  #5176  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,363
Originally Posted by RedElmo View Post
...really think they just store your cash under this big mattress in the back?...
Nope, but checking, savings and CD's are not what bankers mean by under management. They are looking for work that generates fees.
mia is offline  
Old Dec 10, 16, 10:29 am
  #5177  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
I just confirmed a way to bypass 5/24 for some Chase cards.

I logged into my Chase account today and noticed a section on the dashboard for offers "Selected for You". Further research indicated this may be a way to bypass the 5/24 rule. You need to have the new website UI (no business cards). The offers disappeared from the dashboard but remain available from the menu in the top left > "Your Offers".

Supposedly if you have offers with a green checkmark that say "SELECTED FOR YOU", you can bypass 5/24. I had offers for 50k Chase Sapphire Preferred, 15k Chase Freedom Unlimited, and standard Chase Slate. My only current Chase card is a regular Chase Freedom. I am currently at 18/24. I last received a CSP bonus in April 2014 and closed that card in January 2015.

I was initially worried that my current Freedom credit limit might be too high and cause my application for the CSP to require review by a human, which might trigger the 5/24 rule. When I was applying for lots of Chase branded cards in 2015, my CL for new cards was only around $1k. My CL for the Freedom is currently $24.4k.

However, I took the plunge and applied for the CSP, and I was auto-approved. The only data I had to enter was my annual income. CL on the CSP is $17.9k, so it appears my concerns about having too high CL with Chase was not an issue. YMMV.

The Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Slate offers still appear to be available after starting a new browser session. Curiously, so does the CSP, but I'm not going to try getting more than one, since the offer page says "This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months."

Conveniently, this is perfect timing for me since I am active duty military PCSing this summer. I may have an opportunity to have the SCRA applied to this account and be exempt from annual fees. That wasn't going to be an option for this or other Chase cards since I am currently ineligible due to 5/24.

Last edited by Ketawa; Dec 10, 16 at 10:41 am
Ketawa is offline  
Old Dec 10, 16, 11:25 am
  #5178  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Now that you are in the right forum you'll find all your answers in the WIKI above. Read it carefully. Just because you got a targeted offer doesn't mean you'll be approved. Or, you might be approved and not receive the bonus. Look carefully at the 5/24 rule (if you've opened 5 credit cards in the last 24 months, from any bank, you'll likely be denied for most Chase cards. A handful of exceptions are listed in the WIKI but the UA Mileage Plus isn't one of them). Going into a Chase branch might improve your chances though.
Thank you very much for the info. I'll be reading and re-reading the wiki, and will try to post back after I apply with my details as a data point.
JB in AZ is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:47 am
  #5179  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by Ketawa View Post
I just confirmed a way to bypass 5/24 for some Chase cards.

I logged into my Chase account today and noticed a section on the dashboard for offers "Selected for You". Further research indicated this may be a way to bypass the 5/24 rule. You need to have the new website UI (no business cards). The offers disappeared from the dashboard but remain available from the menu in the top left > "Your Offers".

Supposedly if you have offers with a green checkmark that say "SELECTED FOR YOU", you can bypass 5/24. I had offers for 50k Chase Sapphire Preferred, 15k Chase Freedom Unlimited, and standard Chase Slate. My only current Chase card is a regular Chase Freedom. I am currently at 18/24. I last received a CSP bonus in April 2014 and closed that card in January 2015.

I was initially worried that my current Freedom credit limit might be too high and cause my application for the CSP to require review by a human, which might trigger the 5/24 rule. When I was applying for lots of Chase branded cards in 2015, my CL for new cards was only around $1k. My CL for the Freedom is currently $24.4k.

However, I took the plunge and applied for the CSP, and I was auto-approved. The only data I had to enter was my annual income. CL on the CSP is $17.9k, so it appears my concerns about having too high CL with Chase was not an issue. YMMV.

The Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Slate offers still appear to be available after starting a new browser session. Curiously, so does the CSP, but I'm not going to try getting more than one, since the offer page says "This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months."

Conveniently, this is perfect timing for me since I am active duty military PCSing this summer. I may have an opportunity to have the SCRA applied to this account and be exempt from annual fees. That wasn't going to be an option for this or other Chase cards since I am currently ineligible due to 5/24.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking on that from time to time.

Right now though, when I click on "Your Offers", all I have selected with the green check mark is "Upgrade to Chase Private Client". Which is reported to no longer even help with 5/24.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 12:49 pm
  #5180  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,026
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Right now though, when I click on "Your Offers", all I have selected with the green check mark is "Upgrade to Chase Private Client". Which is reported to no longer even help with 5/24.
All I have selected with the green check mark is the $500 promo for starting up (and highly funding) Chase checking and savings accounts. That's just as useless.

But my question is: Are there any people who do not have checking/savings accounts at Chase who do see cards listed in the green check mark "Selected For You" section?
sdsearch is offline  
Old Dec 11, 16, 12:54 pm
  #5181  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
All I have selected with the green check mark is the $500 promo for starting up (and highly funding) Chase checking and savings accounts. That's just as useless.

But my question is: Are there any people who do not have checking/savings accounts at Chase who do see cards listed in the green check mark "Selected For You" section?
The only account I have with Chase is my Freedom card, and I had the three credit card offers. I have never had a checking or savings account.
Ketawa is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 7:14 am
  #5182  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Question Newbie question: Have RR, want hotel points

Hello,
I have looked through stickies; am overwhelmed with the size of this forum. We have used Chase SWRR for a decade; love companion pass. But we end up paying through the nose for hotels! (platinum elite with Marriott) Our travel is frequent, but inside US mostly. Would love to have another card to use once we meet the companion pass criteria, to help with hotel costs. Overwhelmed with the info here, and want to be smart with benefits, since we put about 8-12k a month on credit cards.

What card is best, after our Chase SWRR, to help with hotel costs? Is there a card that gives both? Sorry if these questions seem to basic. Linking me to a thread that answers is fine. I am grateful for any help.
RedInVegas is offline  
Old Dec 12, 16, 10:21 am
  #5183  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cupertino, CA
Programs: AA, Marriott
Posts: 4,659
Originally Posted by RedInVegas View Post
What card is best, after our Chase SWRR, to help with hotel costs? Is there a card that gives both?
Hello, RedInVegas. Something like the Chase Sapphire Reserve would allow you to select to transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to either Rapid Rewards or Marriott Rewards but not both simultaneously. A better approach would be to get the Marriott branded Chase card or the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card. Both have their advantages but the SPG AmEx has overall better earning at Marriott properties. You can, at least for now, transfer to Marriott Rewards and subsequently redeem Marriott Rewards points for hotel + air packages.

In the interest of keeping this thread on topic, I would encourage you to explore the Marriott forum on FlyerTalk and post any replies under the existing threads on these topics.
Majuki is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 3:10 pm
  #5184  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 18
DP for 5/24 rule.

Got a mail with 50K United offer with no code, but saying that i need to apply from my United account. Checked Chase pre-qualify tool and did not see any offers available. Went to Chase branch and asked to check if I was pre-approved, which I was. Submitted an application in branch and it went to pending status requiring chase branch employer to call. He called credit card department (i guess) while I was siting right in front of him and they asked him a few questions. I heard him saying something like " yes, she is completely authenticated".Then the person on other other side of the line put us on hold for about 5 min and after that got back with the reply "Approved!". I have 7/24, with CSP being opened only in September (2.5 months from united application) and the most recent credit card approval for Amex being in November, which is 1 month prior to United application. My credit score is in 720s, I am not a CPC and have less than 2 years of credit history in general.

So don't be shy to go to the branch and check, it really helps, like in my case
Bagira is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 3:25 pm
  #5185  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by Bagira View Post
DP for 5/24 rule.

Got a mail with 50K United offer with no code, but saying that i need to apply from my United account. Checked Chase pre-qualify tool and did not see any offers available. Went to Chase branch and asked to check if I was pre-approved, which I was. Submitted an application in branch and it went to pending status requiring chase branch employer to call. He called credit card department (i guess) while I was siting right in front of him and they asked him a few questions. I heard him saying something like " yes, she is completely authenticated".Then the person on other other side of the line put us on hold for about 5 min and after that got back with the reply "Approved!". I have 7/24, with CSP being opened only in September (2.5 months from united application) and the most recent credit card approval for Amex being in November, which is 1 month prior to United application. My credit score is in 720s, I am not a CPC and have less than 2 years of credit history in general.

So don't be shy to go to the branch and check, it really helps, like in my case
My wife got these same mailings, one back in October-ish, one just yesterday; she was denied back in October [she's exactly 5/24], no offers show up in her online profile, but the nearest chase branch is 229.49 miles away so I guess we're stuck. I kicked around having her apply again using this mailer just to see what happens, but one of her cards comes off the end of January so I was kicking around waiting and going CF/CSP/CSR/etc...
chevy454 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 16, 6:39 pm
  #5186  
umc
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Since December 15th 2014, my dad has opened 6 accounts. After Dec. 15th 2016, he'll be at 4/24. If he applies for CSR after Dec. 15th 2016, should he be worried about being rejected due to 5/24 rule? Thank you for any input.
umc is offline  
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:47 am
  #5187  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SE coast USA
Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Posts: 306
Originally Posted by umc View Post
Since December 15th 2014, my dad has opened 6 accounts. After Dec. 15th 2016, he'll be at 4/24. If he applies for CSR after Dec. 15th 2016, should he be worried about being rejected due to 5/24 rule? Thank you for any input.
To be safe, he should wait until January. There have been more than one posts about this question (including one of mine). I took this advice and it worked for me!
aglasgow is offline  
Old Dec 14, 16, 8:48 pm
  #5188  
umc
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by aglasgow View Post
To be safe, he should wait until January. There have been more than one posts about this question (including one of mine). I took this advice and it worked for me!
Thank you. I read back a few pages and saw the same question. I'll take your advice.
umc is offline  
Old Dec 15, 16, 1:29 pm
  #5189  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,026
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
the nearest chase branch is 229.49 miles away
We've had mileage runs, and mattress runs. I wonder if we're now going to have a new category: a Chase Branch run? (A trip for not much any other purpose other than to visit a far-away Chase Branch to see if you're preapproved for a card.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Dec 17, 16, 11:21 am
  #5190  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,849
All,

I'd like to renew discussion on an issue that has been the subject of back-and-forth edits in the wiki recently: the question of whether Chase business cards count toward 5/24.

Until recently, the relevant section of the wiki read as follows:

Finally, note that
  • non-Chase business cards and
  • cards not reported to EQ/TU/EX (such as some department-store charge cards)
don't count towards this 5-card limit. However, Chase business cards are included in the total.
Another FTer has now edited the wiki to read as follows:

Cards not reported to EQ/TU/EX, such as business cards and some department-store charge cards, don't count towards this 5-card limit.
Two FTers have reported that Chase business cards are NOT included in the 5/24 tally. Similar conclusions have also been made by other third-party websites.
This new version seems to me to substantially overstate the case for Chase business cards being excluded from the 5/24 count. First, the link to the alleged report from 2 FTers provides only a single report, along with an embedded (in quoted text) claim with no substantiation. That report does also link to a blog post (Mommy Points) with anecdotal evidence in the blogger's own experience of Chase biz cards being excluded. In sum, that's 1 FT report and one blogger's report--hardly enough IMO to justify the unqualified assertion made in the new text.

But before attempting to dial back this overstatement (and perhaps getting into an endless edit war), I'd like the group to take collective stock of what we actually know. Do we have additional first-hand reports that support either view?

Last edited by beltway; Dec 17, 16 at 12:10 pm
beltway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: