Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:46 pm

I was in branch and was pre-approved for CSR and CFU cards. I asked them to apply for both. They did apply for CSR first and after applying pre-check approval button went away for CFU but ended up applying for CFU as well.
Status line tells 2 weeks for CSR but 7-10 business days for CFU. CFU looks like denial but was pre-approved when I went into branch. Will speaking to a rep help?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:36 pm

1 app left: which UR card?

So, I tried to apply for the new CSR a few months ago, but was denied because I was 5/24; I got to thinking today that one of my 5 I was an authorized user of a card that was closed in January and will fall off my 5/24 at the ends of next month.

So, assuming I have 1 app left for the next 6-8 months which direction should I go: CSR, CFU, CSP? Currently only chase cards I'm holding (and ever had) are ink+ and mileageplus. Also, I'm trying to get 5 of us to Europe next summer, and am sitting on about 240k UR points (shooting for 300k for flights), so I'm leaning CSR...any thoughts? Only thing that worries me is being this late in the year and utilizing both travel credits before cancelation; my brother got a late calendar app on the cities prestige and because of a weird statement date coinciding with the calendar year only got 1 credit for his $450 annual fee.

Any help is appreciated!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:36 pm

How soon to call Chase recon?

A relative just got the we need to review your application further/7-10 days notification after applying for a Chase Freedom Unlimited. Already has CSR and Freedom. Came to ask me knowing I play the points game. Problem is, I'm not really a churner and have never been initially denied or had to speak to recon line.

So, can he call the recon line immediately or should he wait x amount of time? FWIW he is not 5/24 and has excellent credit score, but I suspect he simply has too large a CL with Chase and will need to reallocate some credit. Don't know if that impacts the decision.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Teckelspass; Nov 21, 2016 at 9:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
A relative just got the we need to review your application further/7-10 days notification after applying for a Chase Freedom Unlimited. Already has CSR and Freedom. Came to ask me knowing I play the points game. Problem is, I'm not really a churner and have never been initially denied or had to speak to recon line.

So, can he call the recon line immediately or should he wait x amount of time? FWIW he is not 5/24 and has excellent credit score, but I suspect he simply has too large a CL with Chase and will need to reallocate some credit. Don't know if that impacts the decision.

Thanks for any input.
Many with the 7-10 day wait notice will be approved w/in the week. My wife applied for a Chase card last week and got the 7-10 day notice and was auto approved 2 days later. It probably won't hurt for him to call recon. though. They may want to move CL around. Ck. the wiki for phone #s.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
CSR for the signup bonus. Duh Even if you only get one $300 annual fee credit you only paid $150 for 100,000 UR points, and that assumes you see no value in Priority Pass, rental car coverage, etc. etc. etc.

Neil
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was in the same boat (good score, under 5/24, thinking about proactively rebalancing credit lines). I decided to wait out the 7-10 day message and let things run their course without calling and was approved a few days later. Around 5 days after the application the card suddenly appeared in my online profile. I received the message indicating card approval around the same time.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by chevy454
So, I tried to apply for the new CSR a few months ago, but was denied because I was 5/24; I got to thinking today that one of my 5 I was an authorized user of a card that was closed in January and will fall off my 5/24 at the ends of next month.

So, assuming I have 1 app left for the next 6-8 months which direction should I go: CSR, CFU, CSP? Currently only chase cards I'm holding (and ever had) are ink+ and mileageplus. Also, I'm trying to get 5 of us to Europe next summer, and am sitting on about 240k UR points (shooting for 300k for flights), so I'm leaning CSR...any thoughts? Only thing that worries me is being this late in the year and utilizing both travel credits before cancelation; my brother got a late calendar app on the cities prestige and because of a weird statement date coinciding with the calendar year only got 1 credit for his $450 annual fee.

Any help is appreciated!
Originally Posted by missamo80
CSR for the signup bonus. Duh Even if you only get one $300 annual fee credit you only paid $150 for 100,000 UR points, and that assumes you see no value in Priority Pass, rental car coverage, etc. etc. etc.

Neil
CSR but wait until early Jan. so you won't have an issue with getting 2 $300 travel credits. Plan your spend accordingly.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by philemer
CSR but wait until early Jan. so you won't have an issue with getting 2 $300 travel credits. Plan your spend accordingly.
I was approved for CSR today. As long as "Travel" charges post before Dec 31, I shouldn't have problem in getting the credit this year, correct?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by trueblue84
I was in branch and was pre-approved for CSR and CFU cards. I asked them to apply for both. They did apply for CSR first and after applying pre-check approval button went away for CFU but ended up applying for CFU as well.
Status line tells 2 weeks for CSR but 7-10 business days for CFU. CFU looks like denial but was pre-approved when I went into branch. Will speaking to a rep help?
Any thoughts?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:17 am

Any thoughts?
Yes. Please don't bump your own posts less than 24 hours later during a busy holiday week.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I was approved for CSR today. As long as "Travel" charges post before Dec 31, I shouldn't have problem in getting the credit this year, correct?
The charges need to post to a 2016 statement to the 2016 credit. Otherwise, that credit is actually for 2017.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:10 pm

My family member is currently 5/25, with the 5th falling off on 11/28. It was a TD Bank Target card, which I'm not even sure counts against 5/24, but I don't want her to apply if it's a guarantee rejection. But since applications are good for 30 days, is there any downside to applying now, and if rejected for 5/24, wait until 11/29 to call in? I'm just worried that waiting until 11/29 will potentially result in first statement closing in January rather than December.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney

Thanks for any input.
Originally Posted by philemer
Many with the 7-10 day wait notice will be approved w/in the week. My wife applied for a Chase card last week and got the 7-10 day notice and was auto approved 2 days later. It probably won't hurt for him to call recon. though. They may want to move CL around. Ck. the wiki for phone #s.
Originally Posted by Majuki
I was in the same boat (good score, under 5/24, thinking about proactively rebalancing credit lines). I decided to wait out the 7-10 day message and let things run their course without calling and was approved a few days later. Around 5 days after the application the card suddenly appeared in my online profile. I received the message indicating card approval around the same time.
Folks, EVERYONE applying online who is not instantly approved gets a 7-10 day message. It's the message seen on the computer screen after applying where it states that if you're approved, you'll receive your card in 7-10 days. Unfortunately this has been confused OVER AND OVER AGAIN with the 7-10 day message associated with calling the automated response line.

A 7-10 day message received online immediately after applying is in no way indicative of approval or denial PERIOD.
The 7-10 day message from the automated response line is the one that has the negative connotation (yes I know there have been exceptions, but that's not relevant to what I'm pointing out here).

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Nov 22, 2016 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Folks, EVERYONE applying online who is not instantly approved gets a 7-10 day message. It's the message seen on the computer screen after applying where it states that if you're approved, you'll receive your card in 7-10 days. Unfortunately this has been confused OVER AND OVER AGAIN with the 7-10 day message associated with calling the automated response line.

A 7-10 message received online immediately after applying is in no way indicative of approval or denial PERIOD.
The 7-10 message from the automated response line is the one that has the negative connotation (yes I know there have been exceptions, but that's not relevant to what I'm pointing out here).
Thanks for the clarification. I will pass the info on and then he can decide how proactive he wants to be. And sorry if I asked a stupid question, but like I said, I've (fortunately) never had to deal with not having instant approval, so just didn't know. I looked at the Wiki but it didn't seem to address the timing of a recon call, at least not directly. Anyway, thanks again.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:21 am

Thanks for any input.
A while back there were a bunch of posts saying "Don't Call". Yes, a few people did call and get approved, but it seemed a number of people were pretty sure they got denied by the CSR they called, when there was a good chance they would have been approved it they had just waited. DW and I have not called on our last 2 apps (each) and were approved after a wait of several weeks.

What I know for sure is there is an excellent chance you will have a very unpleasant experience if you call, even if you do eventually get approved. AFAIK, there is no reason to call before getting an answer to your app. If denied, perhaps needing to move credit etc., you can do that after a denial letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.