Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 16, 11:38 am
  #5101  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 487
Do you guys suggest lowering CL? I have 83k with Chase right now.

CSR - 15k
Southwest- 11k
Freedom - 7k
United MileagePlus Explorer - 30k
CS Vanilla - 20k

I'm thinking of closing down the Explorer card, but moving 5k of that to Freedom and another 10k to CSR before closing it down thereby lowering my CL by $15k total. I could also lower the CS Vanilla limit down too as I don't use it (it used to be my CSP)

Last edited by dmo580; Nov 16, 16 at 12:12 pm
dmo580 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 16, 1:22 pm
  #5102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by dmo580 View Post
Do you guys suggest lowering CL? I have 83k with Chase right now.

CSR - 15k
Southwest- 11k
Freedom - 7k
United MileagePlus Explorer - 30k
CS Vanilla - 20k

I'm thinking of closing down the Explorer card, but moving 5k of that to Freedom and another 10k to CSR before closing it down thereby lowering my CL by $15k total. I could also lower the CS Vanilla limit down too as I don't use it (it used to be my CSP)
If you have a solid 7 figure income and a 10+ year history with Chase, then no. But if you have a low 6 figure income I'd cut it by 2/3. Just leave say $5K more than you expect to use on one of the cards so that if you ever do need to move CL at Recon you have it available. But since I lowered my TCCL to $25K I have never had to move anything, and Chase usually gives me another $25K on every new card. Which I of course have to lower again.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Nov 16, 16, 2:52 pm
  #5103  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,837
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
If you have a solid 7 figure income and a 10+ year history with Chase, then no. But if you have a low 6 figure income I'd cut it by 2/3. Just leave say $5K more than you expect to use on one of the cards so that if you ever do need to move CL at Recon you have it available. But since I lowered my TCCL to $25K I have never had to move anything, and Chase usually gives me another $25K on every new card. Which I of course have to lower again.
Yeah, unless someone is running through $15-20K in Chase spend each month, there is No. Earthly. Reason. to keep an $83K aggregate CL.
beltway is offline  
Old Nov 16, 16, 7:26 pm
  #5104  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Yeah, unless someone is running through $15-20K in Chase spend each month, there is No. Earthly. Reason. to keep an $83K aggregate CL.
Yeah, I think I'll shift to have CSR @ $25k and Freedom @ $10k. I'll drop my Southwest to $5k and the United card will get closed down. The Vanilla Sapphire can drop down to $5k too. Should be more than enough credit for me still.

This is really a balance between utilization % and CL.
dmo580 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:31 am
  #5105  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: LAS
Posts: 64
I applied for the Mileage Plus Explorer card last night because I got a 50k Bonus offer. Got the 7-10 wait notice right after I submitted. If I get denied, does Chase offer options for approval on other cards? Like perhaps the Freedom Unlimited. I'd obviously want the bulk miles to start with and use the MPE card with the MileagePlusX App, but I'd be ok if I was only offered a FU and just start banking UR points.
TJMAC is offline  
Old Nov 17, 16, 9:53 am
  #5106  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by liongate View Post
I just applied my wife (4/24) for a Marriott card thinking it's one of the easier cards to get but no dice. She called the reconsideration line and here's the result:

1st attempt: They said she was a co-applicant on a 5th card (possibly an in-store line of credit we applied for to get some appliances at a Spencer's store) and they couldn't do anything for her.

2nd attempt: This time I called, disguising my voice (I'm sure that would have been amusing but no indication they were onto me). They said the decline was because they were counting AU cards she had because they appeared on her credit report. They asked me if I used the AU cards and I wasn't sure how to respond so I said "yes, sometimes." That, I think was a mistake. The guy sounded like he really wanted to help and went away a couple of times to talk to a supervisor but he came back and said they couldn't do anything because I was using the AU cards. I asked if it might make a difference if I had myself removed as an AU and he said it might if they fell off the credit report.

I view this as an indication that AU cards matter and that it might be a good policy to remove all AU's after any AU points are earned or at least a couple of months down the road because they could affect your application.
3rd attempt: No go -- they had a record of the previous call and said the decision would stand. I had myself removed as AU on all of my wife's cards and had her removed as AU on all of mine. Hopefully this will help in future.

Is it a good idea to reduce the credit limits on all of my Chase cards to reduce their exposure? Will this help with future applications?
liongate is offline  
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:02 am
  #5107  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,837
Originally Posted by liongate View Post
Is it a good idea to reduce the credit limits on all of my Chase cards to reduce their exposure? Will this help with future applications?
A good resource is FAQ #10 in the wiki:
I already have several Chase cards with a substantial aggregate line of credit. Will it improve my odds if I close an existing account (or lower its credit line) before applying for another?
beltway is offline  
Old Nov 17, 16, 10:15 am
  #5108  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: CSP, IHG, United MileagePlus, BA, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, HH
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
A good resource is FAQ #10 in the wiki:
Thanks! That's helpful!
liongate is offline  
Old Nov 18, 16, 2:01 pm
  #5109  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 89
United MileagePlus: 5/24 & Targeted offer

So, my wife and I are both sitting exactly at 5/24; however, my recently received a targeted United MileagePlus Explorer offer (50k) but she was denied because of said 5/24. So, is there any resolution or possible way she could call and do any good with Chase? Or is the card offer generated on United's side? It just seems odd that Chase would send a targeted offer when you're 5/24 and have been for a while...?
chevy454 is offline  
Old Nov 18, 16, 10:05 pm
  #5110  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New York
Programs: SQ Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire RA
Posts: 70
Datapoint: Became 4/24 on the 8th of November. Applied for Chase Freedom today the 18th of November. Got 7-10 days message, no mail...did not call recon or anything
12h laters the Freedom card appears in my Chase account with 23k credit line
Orion_1 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 16, 1:32 pm
  #5111  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,114
Originally Posted by Orion_1 View Post
Datapoint: Became 4/24 on the 8th of November. Applied for Chase Freedom today the 18th of November. Got 7-10 days message, no mail...did not call recon or anything
12h laters the Freedom card appears in my Chase account with 23k credit line
Interesting data b/c previous info suggests cc's turn over on first of the month.
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:52 am
  #5112  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 377
Is anyone here over 5/24 and was able to get this [Ink business] card? If yes, were you pre-qualified in branch? What accounts do you have with Chase? Thanks.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Nov 21, 16 at 7:22 pm Reason: Add clarification of Ink Business as referenced card
asdfghjk is offline  
Old Nov 21, 16, 10:30 am
  #5113  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Datapoint: Just applied for Hyatt while at 32/24 on Thursday. Went to pending and now showing in my accounts on Monday with $30k limit.

I would say this confirms that 5/24 does not apply to Hyatt yet.
alvinroast is offline  
Old Nov 21, 16, 11:55 am
  #5114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,565
In-branch application and timing of closing cards

I'm interested in getting the CFU to use in conjunction with my CSP. I see myself as at 5/24 under the most restrictive reading: that they count a Citi Best Buy card (not V or MC), and that they count the two Southwest cards applied for on the same day on the same hard pull as two, being from Chase. Also that they don't count a non-credit card pull from Dish Network. It would be useful to know if I'm not at 5/24.

Having read the wiki here, a good part of the thread, and the Doctor of Credit post on in-branch pre-approval, I'm interested in doing an in-branch query when I'm traveling in two weeks. On the Southwest cards, I did just enough spending to get the Companion Pass, and I'm thinking in early 2017 I'll cancel when the annual fee posts with the anniversary points, although some question the ethics of that.

I'm willing to cancel one or both cards if it helps with my approval for the CFU or to improve the credit limit. If I'm not pre-approved in branch, may I guess there's no "offering up" to cancel right there to change the decision? If they approve with a low CL, it could be my decision to cancel one or both cards and move the CL over. Assuming what they give is the offer with a long interest-free period, it would be nice to have that and a decent CL for an upcoming relocation.

When I got the SWA cards, I followed the advice here to reduce the CL on one Chase card, but it was a mistake to apply the same day, and that CL reduction, of over $8000, wasn't considered. The SWA cards were $2600 and $2000; I got the latter increased to $5000, taking it from another Chase card. So in general I would think I have that $8000+ available, but I hear the stories of Chase generally tightening things.
rove312 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 16, 12:30 pm
  #5115  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
I'm interested in getting the CFU to use in conjunction with my CSP. I see myself as at 5/24 under the most restrictive reading: that they count a Citi Best Buy card (not V or MC), and that they count the two Southwest cards applied for on the same day on the same hard pull as two, being from Chase. Also that they don't count a non-credit card pull from Dish Network. It would be useful to know if I'm not at 5/24.
The number of pulls doesn't matter. The number of applications doesn't matter. What matters is how many credit card accounts you have opened in the last 24 months. They count cards they issued (since they know about all of them) and cards which are reported on your credit report (not all cards report to the credit bureaus). If you're an authorized user on someone else's card and it appears on your credit report they count it but you can ask them to reconsider your application without the AU accounts if your application is denied.
gusg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: