Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There are many reasons someone can be declined. 5/24 is only one of them.

You have to wait for the denial letter to know the reason.
The letter says too many accounts opened in the past two years.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Schutzee
The letter says too many accounts opened in the past two years.
She is entitled to a copy of the credit report that Chase used as the basis for rejection. Have a look to see if there are other new accounts in the past ~24 months that she does not recall.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
She is entitled to a copy of the credit report that Chase used as the basis for rejection. Have a look to see if there are other new accounts in the past ~24 months that she does not recall.
Already did that. Only three inquires which came from three new cards.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... Only three inquires ...
Chase rejected it based on the number of accounts opened, not inquiries. Assuming that number is also three, when was her previous account opened?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:13 pm

You may find the data point on CSR below to be helpful, but disregard my question (they were unable to allow me to apply for a second card in the branch on the same day):

Hi All,
Urgent question... I just got approved for the CSR in branch (I was listed as pre-approved). I was also listed as pre-approved for the Freedom Unlimited. I'd like to get that card too. I was no longer pre-approved after I got approved for the CSR.

They would have pulled my credit report, right? So if I apply for the Freedom Unlimited, even though I'm not pre-approved, it won't hurt anything, correct (won't be another hard pull), even if I'm denied? LMK as I may go back today (it's only 2:12 here on the west coast)!

Also, data point: I was at 13/24 (yes, 13, all in the past year, but none since June, which was the Chase IHG and I had to reallocate to get approval) and got auto-approved for the CSR (with a surprising 33k limit). I now have 6 Chase cards, and all but one (regular Ink) were in the past year. Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited by kyleay; Oct 19, 2016 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already did that. Only three inquires which came from three new cards.
Inquiries don't count.

However, being an authorized user on someone else's card can count until possibly being removed from the count on recon. Have you or someone else made her an authorized user on card accounts opened (by someone other than her) in the past 2 years?

So please stop talking about inquires, get a copy of her actual credit report, and count all the cards showing on there with an "opened on" date in the 24 months prior to when this latest card application was done. Don't go by memory, count the cards on the actual credit report.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:42 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Sorry If I've missed this somehow but didn't see it in the wiki or previous 20 pages...

Any data points on mailers with invitation codes overcoming the 5/24 rule?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by htang333
Sorry If I've missed this somehow but didn't see it in the wiki or previous 20 pages...

Any data points on mailers with invitation codes overcoming the 5/24 rule?

Thanks!
Yes, unique invitation codes are a way around 5/24. However "invitation to apply" emails are not.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Is the Ink under 5/24 now? I thought it was only personal cards subject to it?

Update: Yes it is, answered my own question

Last edited by msp3; Oct 20, 2016 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:29 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Yes, unique invitation codes are a way around 5/24. However "invitation to apply" emails are not.
Thanks for the reply!

That's what I had thought so I applied about 2 months ago via an Ink mailer to my business with invitation code. However, was declined instantly. I applied for other citi cards and was approved just fine. At time of applying: 780 FICO, 100k+ income, with only about $30k of credit with Chase.

My wife just received an Ink mailer with invitation code as well so I thought I'd double check with the community.

Thanks in advance for feedback and thoughts.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by htang333
Thanks for the reply!

That's what I had thought so I applied about 2 months ago via an Ink mailer to my business with invitation code. However, was declined instantly. I applied for other citi cards and was approved just fine. At time of applying: 780 FICO, 100k+ income, with only about $30k of credit with Chase.

My wife just received an Ink mailer with invitation code as well so I thought I'd double check with the community.

Thanks in advance for feedback and thoughts.
Have you applied for your wife with invitation code? Is it approved? Even I have a mailer with code. So, just want to check how it worked for you before i apply. I am @ 9/24
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:36 am

I am definitely over 5/24 but was approved for reserve in august. I applied for marriott biz cc and got pending message. Is it better to wait for letter in the mail with the decision or is it better to call recon? Please advise
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Stivelio
I am definitely over 5/24 but was approved for reserve in august. I applied for marriott biz cc and got pending message. Is it better to wait for letter in the mail with the decision or is it better to call recon? Please advise
It all depends. I also applied for the Marriott Biz way over 5/24 and got pending. Called the auto line and got 2 weeks instead of 7 days. So waited and got approved 1 week later. So first find out what the automated line says about your app.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
It all depends. I also applied for the Marriott Biz way over 5/24 and got pending. Called the auto line and got 2 weeks instead of 7 days. So waited and got approved 1 week later. So first find out what the automated line says about your app.
Thanks. I called the automated line and got the 2 weeks message too. I will wait for letter in mail as you did.

Last edited by Stivelio; Oct 20, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carlitos
Exactly. As it states in the wiki, the 7-10 message from the automated line is the message that you don't want to hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.