Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by gq_dq
OK so moving past the apparent misinformation provided, the question still remains ... will closing an AU card make it drop off whatever system Chase uses?
Call recon and have them look card by card and drop the AU cards.

If the first rep refuses HUCA.

My wife was approved for CSR using this method.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
OK so moving past the apparent misinformation provided, the question still remains ... will closing an AU card make it drop off whatever system Chase uses?
No. Closing an account does not make the entry drop off your credit report (pull it for yourself and see). You have to call recon and specifically ask them to exclude it.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:45 am

If an AU account is closed, it is still on credit reports until it is removed. So you have two options.
  1. Close the AU account and get each of the three major credit bureaus to delete it because you are not responsible for the account. Then contact Chase again.
  2. Leave things as is, and recon for the AU accounts to be ignored.

The second option is easier.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You might as well try reducing the credit limits, though not the very minimum. Reason: Some people who have reduce credit limits found that Chase still had to transfer credit limit from an open card to approve them for a new card.

So I'd suggest getting away from being that high, but leave enough around so that in case you can get approved except only if you can transfer credit limit, you'll still have some credit limit to transfer.
Indeed, that is precisely the recommendation in the wiki:
For best results, keep at least $5K-10K in excess credit; if your application is not approved, you can always contact the reconsideration department and offer to reallocate that portion of your existing credit line.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:11 am

Excellent, thank you!!

You might as well try reducing the credit limits, though not to the very minimum. Reason: Some people who have reduce credit limits found that Chase still had to transfer credit limit from an open card to approve them for a new card.

So I'd suggest getting away from being that high, but leave enough around so that in case you can get approved except only if you can transfer credit limit, you'll still have some credit limit to transfer.

Also, it's a good idea from a per-card utilization perspective to have your monthly statements be no more than 30% of the credit limit on that card. So that's another guide to go by in determining new lower credit limits to request.

But as to how likely that is to help in getting pre-approved later (ie, was the banker right?), I have no idea, sorry. But I don't offhand see how it could hurt, either (if you don't lower too much).

Also, I have no idea how often pre-approvals are re-evaluated, nor how long it takes for lowered credit limits to affect them (if they do). This sounds like it could be a longer-term plan more than a quick fix (though hopefully nowhere near as long a term as it would take for your 24-mpoth card count to get below 5).
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:08 am

I applied for the Ink+ using my SSN on 9/10. 3 weeks prior (within 30 days) I had applied and was approved for CSR. I am currently at 2/24. I applied in person at Chase, and the application went to pending. Against the advice of the wiki, I called once I got home. The representative told me that I was denied due to having opened a previous card within 30 days and having high credit utilization. I explained that I have a wedding coming up and it's an unusual and short term cause of the high utilization but she can note I always pay it off in full early, and I'm willing to transfer credit line from CSR if needed. Long story short she stated that she changed my application from denied to "System Verification" and I can call back on Monday (9/12) for an update. When I call the automated line it says my card is under review and I will get a decision in writing in the mail in 2 weeks. Advice? Should I wait the two weeks, or should I call back Monday?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:58 am

Applied for CSR. At 4/24 and got decision pending, which was disappointing. I'm guessing it's due to 2 existing Chase cards with high credit limits - both around 25k.

Wonder if it's worth calling to shift credit limits.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
Applied for CSR. At 4/24 and got decision pending, which was disappointing. I'm guessing it's due to 2 existing Chase cards with high credit limits - both around 25k.

Wonder if it's worth calling to shift credit limits.
I would be proactive and call Chase now before a final decision is made.
Those are really high credit limits. If you don't need them that high, you should get them reduced.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by muji
Those are really high credit limits. If you don't need them that high, you should get them reduced.
That's nothing, I have friends with 100k aggregate limits with Chase. If I were to apply for a second Chase card (I currently only have the CSR), I would bet on having $65k or more in aggregate credit with Chase.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Followed your advice and confirmed my suspicion it was high credit limits. They wanted me to transfer my credit line by 2,000 to push the card through. Was approved immediately after agreeing to transfer credit.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:05 pm

FYI - (888) 245-0625 – Personal Reconsideration Line with a live rep

Number no longer in service.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Got approved for a first time ever Hyatt a few weeks ago.

I was at 23/24.

780+ with Exp, 6 figure income, over 5 year history with Chase.
This is interesting. I was wondering for the cards that don't apply to 5/24 if Chase was starting to crack down at all on people who had a lot of new accounts/inquiries but this solidifies that they may not be. Anyone else well over 5/24 apply for other Chase cards that the rule doesn't apply to have success?

I definitely want to apply for the Fairmont card before Chase changes anything. Possibly the Marriott Business card too.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
This is interesting. I was wondering for the cards that don't apply to 5/24 if Chase was starting to crack down at all on people who had a lot of new accounts/inquiries but this solidifies that they may not be.
I think you're may be over complicating how Chase might work.

Chase has 5/24 on most but not all cards.

Then totally separately (on all cards) they have policies on inquiries, but remember that only inquiries on whichever bureau they pull count. Unlike card accounts (which go to all 3 bureaus), inquiries tend to only go to one bureau. So if not all your inquiries are on the same bureau, or if Chase pulls a different bureau than the one where most of your inquiries are, Chase won't see as many inquiries.

So it's two very simple policies that are independent, but interact on many cards, while inquiry counting is the only "anti-churning" policy on a few cards. But how that remaining (inquiry counting) "anti-churning" policy will affect each person varies greatly, because of the bureaus issue. One person will have the bad luck of Chase pulling the only bureau that has all their inquiries, while another person who applied for way more cards may have the good luck of Chase pulling a bureau that has hardly any of their inquiries. (This is possible because what bureau each bank pulls varies depending on several factors, including --but not necessarily limited to -- what state one lives in.)

That's why inquiry counting is very inconsistent across applicants, and is quite likely a reason why Chase added 5/24 on top of it, because 5/24 is a technique which works the same no matter what bureau they use for a given applicant.

Why, then, would Chase need to add yet another layer specifically for those cards that don't have 5/24 yet? I don't think they have, and I think you're seeing the inconsistency of existing layers and the confusion that inconsistency causes can lead to the illusion that policies are changing, when it's simply the existing (inquiry counting) policies have always produced inconsistent results (unless a bank pulls all 3 bureaus).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Got approved for a first time ever Hyatt a few weeks ago.

I was at 23/24.

780+ with Exp, 6 figure income, over 5 year history with Chase.

Most of my HPs, with the exception of a few AS and Barclays apps, are on EXP.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

I think you're may be over complicating how Chase might work.

Chase has 5/24 on most but not all cards.

Then totally separately (on all cards) they have policies on inquiries, but remember that only inquiries on whichever bureau they pull count. Unlike card accounts (which go to all 3 bureaus), inquiries tend to only go to one bureau. So if not all your inquiries are on the same bureau, or if Chase pulls a different bureau than the one where most of your inquiries are, Chase won't see as many inquiries.

So it's two very simple policies that are independent, but interact on many cards, while inquiry counting is the only "anti-churning" policy on a few cards. But how that remaining (inquiry counting) "anti-churning" policy will affect each person varies greatly, because of the bureaus issue. One person will have the bad luck of Chase pulling the only bureau that has all their inquiries, while another person who applied for way more cards may have the good luck of Chase pulling a bureau that has hardly any of their inquiries. (This is possible because what bureau each bank pulls varies depending on several factors, including --but not necessarily limited to -- what state one lives in.)

That's why inquiry counting is very inconsistent across applicants, and is quite likely a reason why Chase added 5/24 on top of it, because 5/24 is a technique which works the same no matter what bureau they use for a given applicant.

Why, then, would Chase need to add yet another layer specifically for those cards that don't have 5/24 yet? I don't think they have, and I think you're seeing the inconsistency of existing layers and the confusion that inconsistency causes can lead to the illusion that policies are changing, when it's simply the existing (inquiry counting) policies have always produced inconsistent results (unless a bank pulls all 3 bureaus).
You're probably right. I've just been a bit paranoid after having two recent applications rejected (one from Citi that was done before 8/28 and one from Barclays) after never previously having anything be denied. Both seemed to indicate too many recent applications/accounts.

On the flip side, I have never been denied a card from Chase and I have a very long relationship with them. Have had my personal account with them for 9 years, have had credit cards with them for 4 (including business credit cards for 3) and a business checking account. I just had concerns that perhaps Chase might start going the same route and I wanted to apply for at least another card or two before all of their cards go 5/24.

As a datapoint, I have 15 new accounts in the last 24 months, which I don't think is too crazy based on other posts I've seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.