Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:19 pm

I'm confused about the 5/24. Does it count ALL credit cards opened in the past 24 months or only Chase credit cards opened in the past 24 months?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
I'm confused about the 5/24. Does it count ALL credit cards opened in the past 24 months or only Chase credit cards opened in the past 24 months?
ALL credit cards appearing on the credit report that Chase pulls, plus Chase business cards.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:21 pm

All personal cards, any personal cards in which you're an AU, and all Chase business cards.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:28 pm

The section
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
in the wiki provides a comprehensive answer. (Must use FT desktop interface; not viewable in mobile mode.)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

What's the "normal" approval time after applying? Will apply for CSR next week and have a $3500+ travel purchase Sept 1 to make so curious if I'll be able to put it on the CSR.

Credit 800+. 3 cards, only one Chase (CSP, have had 2 years). Income above $115,000.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:06 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question

Stupid question:

Do Chase business cards (and business cards in general) and Amex charge (not credit) cards count toward 5/24?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Stupid question:

Do Chase business cards (and business cards in general) and Amex charge (not credit) cards count toward 5/24?
Dunno about Amex charge. Chase business yes. Other business, no.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Stupid question:

Everything on your personal credit report + Chase business cards count towards 5/24.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:18 pm

Thanks!

I do see the Amex charge cards I opened within the last 2 years on my CR, however, due to the backdating, the date opened value is being shown as back in 2004. Can Chase see the actual account opening date?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum = Mid Tier Master!
Originally Posted by dukerau
Everything on your personal credit report + Chase business cards count towards 5/24.
Chase business cards DO count towards 5/24, non-Chase business cards DO NOT.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by gumpfanatic
Chase business cards DO count towards 5/24, non-Chase business cards DO NOT.
Some non-Chase business cards, like Capital One, do count because they report to personal credit bureaus.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:31 pm

Excluding my Amex BG and my 2 Amex charge cards that I opened before they stopped backdating, I believe I'm at 4/24 then.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sppunk
What's the "normal" approval time after applying? Will apply for CSR next week and have a $3500+ travel purchase Sept 1 to make so curious if I'll be able to put it on the CSR.
There is no normal time. Some people get approved instantly, and for some it can take a month or so (in the same credit score/history ballpark).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do see the Amex charge cards I opened within the last 2 years on my CR, however, due to the backdating, the date opened value is being shown as back in 2004. Can Chase see the actual account opening date?
No. But Amex stopped backdating around Mar 2015, so any new Amex cards you open in the future will not be backdated on your credit reports, and thus Chase will see those.

And that's exactly why you should look at your credit report to do the 5/24 count. There are too many exceptions to any simply-stated rule (that is not put in terms of what you see on your credit report).

Chase counts cards that have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months on your credit report, plus any Chase cards opened in the last 24 months that did not appear on your credit report.

That is the simplest, shortest, correct description of what Chase counts. Any attempt to phrase it in non-credit-report terms only complicates it and leads to chances of errors.

(Except, of course, it's a bit incomplete. 24 months since when? In particular, your credit report only shows the month opened, not the exact day. So does Chase count up to 24.99 if you apply on the last day of the month or as little as 23.01 if you apply on the first day of the month? I'm not sure that's clear to us, but "to be safe" I'd assume it's up to 24.99, ie in the last 24 already-completed months.)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No. But Amex stopped backdating around Mar 2015, so any new Amex cards you open in the future will not be backdated on your credit reports, and thus Chase will see those.

And that's exactly why you should look at your credit report to do the 5/24 count. There are too many exceptions to any simply-stated rule (that is not put in terms of what you see on your credit report).

Chase counts cards that have an "opened on" date in the past 24 months on your credit report, plus any Chase cards opened in the last 24 months that did not appear on your credit report.

That is the simplest, shortest, correct description of what Chase counts. Any attempt to phrase it in non-credit-report terms only complicates it and leads to chances of errors.

(Except, of course, it's a bit incomplete. 24 months since when? In particular, your credit report only shows the month opened, not the exact day. So does Chase count up to 24.99 if you apply on the last day of the month or as little as 23.01 if you apply on the first day of the month? I'm not sure that's clear to us, but "to be safe" I'd assume it's up to 24.99, ie in the last 24 already-completed months.)
Cool! Assuming I dodge 5/24, I still might get pending since my aggregate credit line with Chase is probably is on the high side. Maybe can shift the credit lines around in recon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.