Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 16, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Islander View Post
I see -- the counting methodology is more complicated than I had realized. I was planning on applying for a Marriott personal card a month from now. Assuming they're using the 5/24 rule for MR personal, I'm sunk, based on your analysis. I suppose, if I'm denied, I can wait until 12/15/16 for one of my Chase business cards to drop off the list.

Thanks for the explanation.
Too bad it's business card you already got, and not the personal one.

The business Marriott card is still exempt from 5/24, but the personal Marriott card is subject to 5/24.

Other cards still exempt from 5/24 include Hyatt personal and IHG personal. (The full list is in the Wikipost at the top of this page.)

Also, I'm not sure if 12/15/16 is a magical date or not. We're not sure how accurately they count the 24 months for Chase business cards. (Nor are were sure how accurately they count the 24 months on the credit report, but that doesn't apply in your most immediate drop-off case.)

Meanwhile, does Chase not still ask if you've been denied for a Chase card in the past 6 months on their applications? I would think if they still ask that, it might not be the best idea to keep applying in situations where you're likely to keep getting denied.
Old Aug 3, 16, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ugaDAWGS09 View Post
I received my initial 40k point bonus in August 2014. I would like to cancel the card and reapply to get the bonus again from Chase. Can I do this in September or should I wait till December/January to try again?
bump
Old Aug 3, 16, 6:49 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
No personal experience, but the wiki says 24 months after you received the bonus. This falls in line with what I've heard from others. If you're sure you received the bonus in August of 2014, you should be fine in September 2016.
Old Aug 4, 16, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ugaDAWGS09 View Post
bump
Your answer is in the wiki:

This new cardmember bonus offer is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this consumer credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this consumer credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months.
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:02 pm

I am trying to get things in order so that my wife and I can both apply for the Sapphire Reserve when it comes out (5/24 is not an issue)....had a quick question about credit limits.

Should I check and possibly reduce my CL ahead of time to get below some percentage of our household income? If so, what is the percentage? And for each of us, is the percentage based on just the cards we are primary cardholder on, or does the credit limit from authorized user cards count as well (we each have authorized user cards for most of each others cards). Also, do I only need to worry about Chase credit limits, or do I have to worry about credit limits at other banks as well?

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:06 pm

There's no percentage. It depends on how well you've demonstrated the management of credit. More credit is better until you bump against Chase's maximum internal exposure for you. If you have no credit cards with Chase, don't worry.
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
There's no percentage. It depends on how well you've demonstrated the management of credit. More credit is better until you bump against Chase's maximum internal exposure for you. If you have no credit cards with Chase, don't worry.
We've both got multiple credit cards with Chase currently, so I guess my concern is the Chase maximum internal exposure. Is there any rule of thumb for that?
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
We've both got multiple credit cards with Chase currently, so I guess my concern is the Chase maximum internal exposure. Is there any rule of thumb for that?
I've read that $60K is the normal max exposure before going to manual review.
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
I've read that $60K is the normal max exposure before going to manual review.
Thanks, do you know if that amount includes authorized user credit limits?
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
Thanks, do you know if that amount includes authorized user credit limits?
I want to say that it doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Aug 5, 16, 8:38 pm

Also, some of the info floating around suggests that Chase requires at least a $15K line for a Visa Infinite to be issued. To be safe, I'd have no more than $45K in Chase lines. Maybe $40K for some cushion.
Old Aug 6, 16, 2:09 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Exclamation GOOD data point

^

APPROVED instantly with $35k credit limit for the 80k H.I. personal card via the :-:Asia search trick:-:

with ~8-10 new cards / 24 months
with existing $35k chase personal card account
with existing $5k chase personal card #2 account
with recent history of HARD IRREVERSIBLE DECLINE for another chase card forgot which one, but it was a ~ BIG MISTAKE that I made ~
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:23 am

Chase 24/5 Rule

Does the 5 credit cards only relate to approved credit cards or does it include rejected applications. I had two applications rejected from Chase before I found out about the rule.
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by teossim View Post
Does the 5 credit cards only relate to approved credit cards or does it include rejected applications. I had two applications rejected from Chase before I found out about the rule.
Only approved credit cards that are reporting on a credit report, and approved Chase business cards.
Old Aug 6, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
^

APPROVED instantly with $35k credit limit for the 80k H.I. personal card via the :-:Asia search trick:-:

with ~8-10 new cards / 24 months
with existing $35k chase personal card account
with existing $5k chase personal card #2 account
with recent history of HARD IRREVERSIBLE DECLINE for another chase card forgot which one, but it was a ~ BIG MISTAKE that I made ~
What's the H.I. card and the Asia search trick?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: