Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 21, 16, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by aradisc View Post
Have we ever collected any data points as to how precisely Chase measures 24 months from getting the bonus? I have my eyes on trying for the Hyatt while I still can, and I received the bonus 2 years + 9 days ago or earlier.* Normally I'd be patient to give it a good buffer but who knows when they'll add this card to 5/24.

What would you do in my situation? Would you go for it now or wait? (if so how long?)

*I don't have direct evidence of when I officially received the bonus, but I did make a Hyatt booking using a cert on that date. So it could be exactly that day or shortly before.
SM Chase and ask the date, they were quite willing to tell me.
Old Jul 21, 16, 9:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mileshound View Post
Another bad thing about 5/24 is that we used to flip between CSP and Ink cards and only have one active at a time. That was we kept the points active and did not pay an annual fee.

After 5/24, I cannot get CSP again since cancelled right before 5/24 so am paying the annual fee on the Ink card now. Another win for Chase.
If you alternate CSP with your spouse you can transfer the points before canceling the old CSP. I think you would have to be AU's on each others accounts to be able to transfer the points. But this is one way around paying the AF every year.
Old Jul 21, 16, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
SM Chase and ask the date, they were quite willing to tell me.
I think I know the date within a few days, but I'm looking for how exactly they count 2 years. Is it 730 days?
Old Jul 21, 16, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone tried applying for Southwest personal and business cards on the same day while being 4/24? Presumably the first could be approved instantly, but what about the second? Would Chase's systems be updated with the application from minutes earlier to consider the applicant 5/24 and issue a denial?
Old Jul 22, 16, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JJ804 View Post
Has anyone tried applying for Southwest personal and business cards on the same day while being 4/24? Presumably the first could be approved instantly, but what about the second? Would Chase's systems be updated with the application from minutes earlier to consider the applicant 5/24 and issue a denial?
I applied on 6/18/16 for both and got the application under review response. I waited about two weeks before I called in. When I called in the gentleman said it was still under review because of my high CL. He said to call back the next day and when I did the automated said I was approved for the business CL $35,000 and personal $20,000. No credit lines from the other cards were lowered
Old Jul 22, 16, 8:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Premier
They are wasting no time!

I'm genuinely surprised at the SPEED of Chase!

I wanted to share my experience with applying for the Chase Sapphire Preferred, maybe this can be a data point for some!

Few application notes:

All times are approximate:

Wednesday July 20

Thursday July 21

Friday July 22

Depending on what time the card arrives today, this would be the fast ever service I've ever experienced. If it arrives by 2 PM, the entire process from application to delivery of card will have taken 48 hours.

Other items of note:
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 11:40 am

I applied for the following cards three weeks ago
                      1. united card - approved instantly
                      2. marriott card - pending
                      3. alaska airlines BOA card - approved instantly.

I had not done a CC application in over 2 years. Before the application I had Chase Freedom, sapphire preferred,hyatt and southwest. I am thinking about cancelling the southwest one as I don't use it much anymore. I was hoping both my chase cards will be approved. I am not sure if I should call chase regarding my marriott card. I have waited 3 weeks.
                      What do you guys suggest I should do? I really need this cards to cover the hotel portion of a trip I am planning next year.

THank you so much for your time!
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 12:06 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
                      Originally Posted by blueflower22 View Post
                      I applied for the following cards three weeks ago
                      1. united card - approved instantly
                      2. marriott card - pending
                      3. alaska airlines BOA card - approved instantly.
                      That does seem like a long time. What message do you get when you call the automated line?
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
                      Datapoint regarding being over 5/24 and in-branch approvals:

I believe I'm at 8/24 (9/24 if car loans count). I went into a Chase branch in Georgia after doing errands, and simply asked if I could check if I was pre-approved for any credit cards. I didn't ask about setting up a checking account or any other account, nor do I even have any other account besides my CSP/Freedom/Marriott cards. I just went in and asked if I'm pre-approved.

Guy checked his computer, saw that I was in-fact pre-approved for FU (and joked about how "I'm collecting all of them"). Got some info (confirmed phone #, address, income), printed some docs and walked me through them, and said I was approved for the CC right then and there. Confirmed I see the new CC in my online account already.

So another DP that confirms that in-branch pre-approvals can bypass 5/24 (again, I'm at 8 or 9/24). To reiterate, I just straight up asked for pre-approved CC (and FU specifically) and did not ask about any other type of account, nor do I *have* any other account besides other CC.
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie View Post
                      That does seem like a long time. What message do you get when you call the automated line?
                      It says its approved but I believe its talking about the united card. The marriott application just ended up showing us the 'Thank you' page and have not heard anything since.
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 5:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
                      Originally Posted by pritomd View Post
                      Datapoint regarding being over 5/24 and in-branch approvals:

I believe I'm at 8/24 (9/24 if car loans count). I went into a Chase branch in Georgia after doing errands, and simply asked if I could check if I was pre-approved for any credit cards. I didn't ask about setting up a checking account or any other account, nor do I even have any other account besides my CSP/Freedom/Marriott cards. I just went in and asked if I'm pre-approved.

Guy checked his computer, saw that I was in-fact pre-approved for FU (and joked about how "I'm collecting all of them"). Got some info (confirmed phone #, address, income), printed some docs and walked me through them, and said I was approved for the CC right then and there. Confirmed I see the new CC in my online account already.

So another DP that confirms that in-branch pre-approvals can bypass 5/24 (again, I'm at 8 or 9/24). To reiterate, I just straight up asked for pre-approved CC (and FU specifically) and did not ask about any other type of account, nor do I *have* any other account besides other CC.
                      Car loans do not count. Are you positive you were at 8/24?
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 6:19 pm

Anyone know if the 50k UR points for Chase Sapphire Preferred are churnable? From my reading on the current offer, they have a lifetime limit like Amex:

" Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. "

Am I interpreting that correctly that once you had a Chase Sapphire Preferred with UR points, that's it?
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 9:44 pm

If its been 24 months since you last received the bonus and you get approved for the card, you'll get the bonus.
                      Old Jul 22, 16, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
                      Originally Posted by meecal View Post
                      Car loans do not count. Are you positive you were at 8/24?
                      Yes, credit cards alone, I'm at 8/24 according to CK.
                      Old Jul 23, 16, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by pritomd View Post
                      Very good good info - thanks for the report. I'll see if I can duplicate this locally, but I'm right on the ragged edge from doing an AOR in July 2014. Hoping that CSP bonus stays alive until August 1st...

Search this Thread
                      Search Engine: