Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 13, 16, 7:25 am
  #4381  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
the dreaded 7-10 days pending - aka inevitable denial.
Read back thru the thread. 7-10 is NOT inevitable denial.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 8:44 am
  #4382  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 22
Just adding another datapoint for Southwest checking for 5/24. My wife is at >5/24 with a credit score of about 750. A couple weeks back, she got approved for the IGH with a 22k CL, but then was denied for Southwest Plus for "Too many accounts opened in the last 2 years"
PimpTheMonkey is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 10:17 am
  #4383  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by PimpTheMonkey View Post
Just adding another datapoint for Southwest checking for 5/24. My wife is at >5/24 with a credit score of about 750. A couple weeks back, she got approved for the IGH with a 22k CL, but then was denied for Southwest Plus for "Too many accounts opened in the last 2 years"
at 5/24, or over 5/24 ?
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 10:26 am
  #4384  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
at 5/24, or over 5/24 ?
Is at > (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months.
PimpTheMonkey is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 4:04 pm
  #4385  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by PimpTheMonkey View Post
Is at > (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months.
Basically then you are confirming that the last 25 people who posted being denied a SW card for more than 5 new accounts in the last 24 months were correct? Good to know...

So as long as we are on that topic, I too was recently denied for a SW card for "at (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months".
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 6:56 pm
  #4386  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Read back thru the thread. 7-10 is NOT inevitable denial.
I hope it is not a denial. However, the dearth of DP's of bypassing 5/24 without an in branch pre-approval has this sinking feeling, despite the unpredictability of 7-10 in 2016.
ymarker is offline  
Old Jul 13, 16, 7:41 pm
  #4387  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: xLAS
Posts: 1,320
applied Chase Hyatt Visa, 7/13.
instant approval.

I'm at ~30 cards over last 24 months (that includes ~5 as an AU on wife's accounts), but it was only my 3rd card this calendar year.

Have Chase checking & savings.

Have 6 other Chase personal cards (Amazon, UA Exp, Marriott, IHG, SW RR Premium, SW RR Plus) and 1 other Chase biz card (Ink+).
ajc1970 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 7:52 am
  #4388  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post
I hope it is not a denial. However, the dearth of DP's of bypassing 5/24 without an in branch pre-approval has this sinking feeling, despite the unpredictability of 7-10 in 2016.
My comment was about 7-10, not about 5/6/24. I have zero data points about 5/6/24 with in branch apps.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 3:44 pm
  #4389  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 532
Denied for the Ink Plus on 3/30 for too many apps in a short period of time. 3 apps in two weeks.

Any data points on reapplying for a card that you were denied for in the last 6 months where the reason for denial is no longer applicable? Would like to snag the Chase Ink Plus In-Branch offer. Read the wiki and quite a few posts but can't find anything.
FlyerTalkUserName is online now  
Old Jul 14, 16, 7:58 pm
  #4390  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: UA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 37
I applied for the UMP Explorer 70K in late June. I was right at 5/24 so decided to give it a try, since I figured I would have a good profile (830 FICO, 15 yr excellent history with Chase where I keep cards) for a borderline case. Nope - denied. Spoke with 4 different reps/supervisors. The last of these was a higher level supervisor from Arizona who they had call me after I asked to escalate with the first supervisor I spoke with.

One thing I learned (maybe others already know) is that in practice they are doing a 5/25 rule. This application was in late June 2016, but in their initial review they were still counting an app from early June 2014 against me. I had figured it would be excluded, but they said they couldn't see the day of the month for the application, so they had to include it. This was my 6th, and the initial CSR seemed to think I could be reconsidered if it was taken off. Eventually the higher level people agreed to exclude it but still said 5 was too many.

The higher level supervisor chatted with me a bit about the rule. He said they were aware that it could alienate longtime customers, but that after the trial run with the core non-cobrand cards they found it effective (for the bottom line I guess) so decided to expand it. He claimed that it wasn't aimed specifically at people who close cards shortly after opening them, but that many apps in a short time indicated "risky behavior." He said it wouldn't matter if someone had a 40 year excellent history with Chase.
JJ804 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 16, 8:53 pm
  #4391  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,807
Originally Posted by pubsmeister View Post
Applied for IHG card ....After nary a peep got a call from Chase today (Day #18) to ask me a few questions. After "talking to her boss" I was approved and can see the card when I log on to Chase.com.

Prior to this card I had 7 new approvals (plus one new authorized user card) in the past 24 months. I was tempted to call but didn't; I think that was the right choice.
Originally Posted by frudd38 View Post
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
Added to wiki.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Read back thru the thread. 7-10 is NOT inevitable denial.
It's also discussed at the very end of the wiki.
beltway is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:19 am
  #4392  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 74
It will be 2 years in September when I applied for the southwest premier CC through chase. I called Chase card services today to see if they could tell me when I would be able to apply and be approved for the card/50k bonus miles again. They had no record of me previously holding the SW Premier CC. He said I should be fine to apply and get the bonus again. Has anyone heard of or had this experience with CSP?

Also I have had 5 CC's opened since sept 2014 so I will probably wait until sept this year to apply..or should I go ahead and apply now to see what happens? If I get denied due to >5/24 would it be ok to apply again in September? Thanks for the help.
benosufan is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:24 am
  #4393  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by JJ804 View Post
I applied for the UMP Explorer 70K in late June. I was right at 5/24 so decided to give it a try, since I figured I would have a good profile (830 FICO, 15 yr excellent history with Chase where I keep cards) for a borderline case. Nope - denied. Spoke with 4 different reps/supervisors. The last of these was a higher level supervisor from Arizona who they had call me after I asked to escalate with the first supervisor I spoke with.

One thing I learned (maybe others already know) is that in practice they are doing a 5/25 rule. This application was in late June 2016, but in their initial review they were still counting an app from early June 2014 against me. I had figured it would be excluded, but they said they couldn't see the day of the month for the application, so they had to include it. This was my 6th, and the initial CSR seemed to think I could be reconsidered if it was taken off. Eventually the higher level people agreed to exclude it but still said 5 was too many.

The higher level supervisor chatted with me a bit about the rule. He said they were aware that it could alienate longtime customers, but that after the trial run with the core non-cobrand cards they found it effective (for the bottom line I guess) so decided to expand it. He claimed that it wasn't aimed specifically at people who close cards shortly after opening them, but that many apps in a short time indicated "risky behavior." He said it wouldn't matter if someone had a 40 year excellent history with Chase.
Very similar to my experience just now. Applied for Freedom a week ago, it turns out that two cards opened in May 2014 were still on my report, so that was putting me at 7 in 2 years. Was willing to reduce my CSP limit, but the call in was just a straight up "No, we're not approving you"

Was really hoping to have this approved this time so I could go back to opening a new Alaska Visa immediately after approval, but I guess that will have to wait as it would keep me at > 5/24.

I only looked back the last ten pages or so here, what's the timeframe for re-applying? If I wait say a month, would I have a shot?
rm456 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:33 am
  #4394  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by rm456 View Post
two cards opened in May 2014 were still on my report, so that was putting me at 7 in 2 years.
What....?

It's long been known that Citi was challenged at math, but even they aren't that bad. Of course those cards were still on your credit report. They don't drop off until 10 years after being applied for. But what does that have to do with cards opened in the last 24 months?
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 15, 16, 11:59 am
  #4395  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
What....?

It's long been known that Citi was challenged at math, but even they aren't that bad. Of course those cards were still on your credit report. They don't drop off until 10 years after being applied for. But what does that have to do with cards opened in the last 24 months?
The call mentioned they declined due to too many recently opened accounts, and then involved a nice discussion of the ones which were opened. Among those included two opened in May 2014 listed as recent. I argued that same point (As May was 26 months from time of application), and verified that yes, both cards popped up in May on my credit report, not one getting propagated to June. But they said that was the rule and they wouldn't budge.

Application date was 7/1, got the 7-10 day pending, and then notified Monday in the mail about the decline. Called Wednesday afternoon.
rm456 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: