Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ymarker
the dreaded 7-10 days pending - aka inevitable denial.
Read back thru the thread. 7-10 is NOT inevitable denial.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:44 am

Just adding another datapoint for Southwest checking for 5/24. My wife is at >5/24 with a credit score of about 750. A couple weeks back, she got approved for the IGH with a 22k CL, but then was denied for Southwest Plus for "Too many accounts opened in the last 2 years"
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by PimpTheMonkey
Just adding another datapoint for Southwest checking for 5/24. My wife is at >5/24 with a credit score of about 750. A couple weeks back, she got approved for the IGH with a 22k CL, but then was denied for Southwest Plus for "Too many accounts opened in the last 2 years"
at 5/24, or over 5/24 ?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
at 5/24, or over 5/24 ?
Is at > (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by PimpTheMonkey
Is at > (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months.
Basically then you are confirming that the last 25 people who posted being denied a SW card for more than 5 new accounts in the last 24 months were correct? Good to know...

So as long as we are on that topic, I too was recently denied for a SW card for "at (greater than) 5 cards in 24 months".
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:56 pm

I hope it is not a denial. However, the dearth of DP's of bypassing 5/24 without an in branch pre-approval has this sinking feeling, despite the unpredictability of 7-10 in 2016.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:41 pm

applied Chase Hyatt Visa, 7/13.
instant approval.

I'm at ~30 cards over last 24 months (that includes ~5 as an AU on wife's accounts), but it was only my 3rd card this calendar year.

Have Chase checking & savings.

Have 6 other Chase personal cards (Amazon, UA Exp, Marriott, IHG, SW RR Premium, SW RR Plus) and 1 other Chase biz card (Ink+).
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ymarker
I hope it is not a denial. However, the dearth of DP's of bypassing 5/24 without an in branch pre-approval has this sinking feeling, despite the unpredictability of 7-10 in 2016.
My comment was about 7-10, not about 5/6/24. I have zero data points about 5/6/24 with in branch apps.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Denied for the Ink Plus on 3/30 for too many apps in a short period of time. 3 apps in two weeks.

Any data points on reapplying for a card that you were denied for in the last 6 months where the reason for denial is no longer applicable? Would like to snag the Chase Ink Plus In-Branch offer. Read the wiki and quite a few posts but can't find anything.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I applied for the UMP Explorer 70K in late June. I was right at 5/24 so decided to give it a try, since I figured I would have a good profile (830 FICO, 15 yr excellent history with Chase where I keep cards) for a borderline case. Nope - denied. Spoke with 4 different reps/supervisors. The last of these was a higher level supervisor from Arizona who they had call me after I asked to escalate with the first supervisor I spoke with.

One thing I learned (maybe others already know) is that in practice they are doing a 5/25 rule. This application was in late June 2016, but in their initial review they were still counting an app from early June 2014 against me. I had figured it would be excluded, but they said they couldn't see the day of the month for the application, so they had to include it. This was my 6th, and the initial CSR seemed to think I could be reconsidered if it was taken off. Eventually the higher level people agreed to exclude it but still said 5 was too many.

The higher level supervisor chatted with me a bit about the rule. He said they were aware that it could alienate longtime customers, but that after the trial run with the core non-cobrand cards they found it effective (for the bottom line I guess) so decided to expand it. He claimed that it wasn't aimed specifically at people who close cards shortly after opening them, but that many apps in a short time indicated "risky behavior." He said it wouldn't matter if someone had a 40 year excellent history with Chase.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by pubsmeister
Applied for IHG card ....After nary a peep got a call from Chase today (Day #18) to ask me a few questions. After "talking to her boss" I was approved and can see the card when I log on to Chase.com.

Prior to this card I had 7 new approvals (plus one new authorized user card) in the past 24 months. I was tempted to call but didn't; I think that was the right choice.
Originally Posted by frudd38
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
Added to wiki.

It's also discussed at the very end of the wiki.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It will be 2 years in September when I applied for the southwest premier CC through chase. I called Chase card services today to see if they could tell me when I would be able to apply and be approved for the card/50k bonus miles again. They had no record of me previously holding the SW Premier CC. He said I should be fine to apply and get the bonus again. Has anyone heard of or had this experience with CSP?

Also I have had 5 CC's opened since sept 2014 so I will probably wait until sept this year to apply..or should I go ahead and apply now to see what happens? If I get denied due to >5/24 would it be ok to apply again in September? Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by JJ804
I applied for the UMP Explorer 70K in late June. I was right at 5/24 so decided to give it a try, since I figured I would have a good profile (830 FICO, 15 yr excellent history with Chase where I keep cards) for a borderline case. Nope - denied. Spoke with 4 different reps/supervisors. The last of these was a higher level supervisor from Arizona who they had call me after I asked to escalate with the first supervisor I spoke with.

One thing I learned (maybe others already know) is that in practice they are doing a 5/25 rule. This application was in late June 2016, but in their initial review they were still counting an app from early June 2014 against me. I had figured it would be excluded, but they said they couldn't see the day of the month for the application, so they had to include it. This was my 6th, and the initial CSR seemed to think I could be reconsidered if it was taken off. Eventually the higher level people agreed to exclude it but still said 5 was too many.

The higher level supervisor chatted with me a bit about the rule. He said they were aware that it could alienate longtime customers, but that after the trial run with the core non-cobrand cards they found it effective (for the bottom line I guess) so decided to expand it. He claimed that it wasn't aimed specifically at people who close cards shortly after opening them, but that many apps in a short time indicated "risky behavior." He said it wouldn't matter if someone had a 40 year excellent history with Chase.
Very similar to my experience just now. Applied for Freedom a week ago, it turns out that two cards opened in May 2014 were still on my report, so that was putting me at 7 in 2 years. Was willing to reduce my CSP limit, but the call in was just a straight up "No, we're not approving you"

Was really hoping to have this approved this time so I could go back to opening a new Alaska Visa immediately after approval, but I guess that will have to wait as it would keep me at > 5/24.

I only looked back the last ten pages or so here, what's the timeframe for re-applying? If I wait say a month, would I have a shot?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by rm456
two cards opened in May 2014 were still on my report, so that was putting me at 7 in 2 years.
What....?

It's long been known that Citi was challenged at math, but even they aren't that bad. Of course those cards were still on your credit report. They don't drop off until 10 years after being applied for. But what does that have to do with cards opened in the last 24 months?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:59 am

What....?

It's long been known that Citi was challenged at math, but even they aren't that bad. Of course those cards were still on your credit report. They don't drop off until 10 years after being applied for. But what does that have to do with cards opened in the last 24 months?
The call mentioned they declined due to too many recently opened accounts, and then involved a nice discussion of the ones which were opened. Among those included two opened in May 2014 listed as recent. I argued that same point (As May was 26 months from time of application), and verified that yes, both cards popped up in May on my credit report, not one getting propagated to June. But they said that was the rule and they wouldn't budge.

Application date was 7/1, got the 7-10 day pending, and then notified Monday in the mail about the decline. Called Wednesday afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.