Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:50 pm

About two months ago I applied online for the Freedom Unlimited; denied & called recon and still denied. This was because I'm well over 5/24 (I think I'm at 7/24).

Questions:

1) Should I pay a visit to an actual Chase branch, and try to apply in person again?

2) Does it help with the 5/24 rules if I close some cards open during this past 2 years?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ConcreteVitamin
Does it help with the 5/24 rules if I close some cards open during this past 2 years?
Chase is relying on information drawn from your credit report. Thus, the underlying question is Does closing a recently opened card make it disappear from my credit report?

Answer: no.

This question has come up often enough that I've now added a new entry to the wiki.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi just curious if anyone has successfully applied for the Chase British Airways card after the 5/24 for co-brand? The Wiki indicates that this is not one of those that were not affected but still would like to see if anyone was successful as I don't see much mentioning about this.

Thanks very much for any tip and help, good luck!
My SO did and she is WAY over 5/24. Just got approved a week ago albeit she had to wait a few weeks for automatic approval.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
My SO did and she is WAY over 5/24. Just got approved a week ago albeit she had to wait a few weeks for automatic approval.
Which card?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by cardsfordays
I recently went into a Chase branch with the intention of applying for a pre-qualified / pre-approved card on the spot. Like most of us here, I'm way over 5/24.

Unfortunately, the banker told me he could only have me apply for the CSP, Freedom or Slate (*maybe checking if I was pre-qualified, but perhaps he didn't even really get that part) and that for other cards, such as the UMPE, I would just have to apply online.

Does this seem right? Can I actually not be pre-qualified in branch for non-Chase branded cards, in order to get past the 5/24 rule? Any data points on being pre-approved/ qualified for non Chase cards, in branch or any tips on what to tell the banker so they can know how to check for pre-qualified offers?
They might be marketing different cards now, but I applied for the Club card in branch 3, or 4 years ago.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Which card?
British Airways.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
frudd38: How many cards with Chase do the 2 different people have?

I'm curious because I would like to get the Marriott Business, but already have 6 cards with Chase.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by maxmnx
frudd38: How many cards with Chase do the 2 different people have?

I'm curious because I would like to get the Marriott Business, but already have 6 cards with Chase.
Marriot Biz had 6 personal and 2 inks. The last personal app earlier this year took 3 recons to get approved, basically agent roulette. Obviously, heavily ymmv but the list of unaffected 5/24 still seems good to go.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by highops
They might be marketing different cards now, but I applied for the Club card in branch 3, or 4 years ago.

+1 branch app for club card two years ago. Not targeted. I just wanted the no AF in year one. Branch rep actually reckoned on my behalf. On the spot
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Has anyone been able to overcome 5/24 by (1) having over $10k in Chase accounts (2) applying in branch and (3) asking the banker to fill out a special consideration form?

The form's existence is documented here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...consideration/

Unfortunately, all comments on that blog post state that the $10k special consideration form did not help.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:12 pm

Recently moved to a new state where there is a chase branch. Opened up a chase checking a/c with the $300 promo for checking. No pre-approved credit card offers. Banker applied for chase sapphire using their link (not the public one) but got the dreaded 7-10 days pending - that is most likely a denied. Wondering if I should go ahead and apply for chase freedom today as well - two inquiries same day. FWIW, I'm way above 5/24 like most people here.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:05 pm

Is the recommendation to NOT call for only people passed or close to 5/24?
I applied for Chase Hyatt and got 7-10 days on pending page, 30 days via email, and 2 weeks on the automated line.
I'm 1/24 and have Freedom, Sapphire, and Ink Cash with Chase.
I'm wondering if I should just wait or try to give them a call.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
Applied for IHG card when the bonus was 80k in June. Went straight to pending- "we will notify you by mail within 30 days." After nary a peep got a call from Chase today (Day #18) to ask me a few questions. After "talking to her boss" I was approved and can see the card when I log on to Chase.com.

Prior to this card I had 7 new approvals (plus one new authorized user card) in the past 24 months. I was tempted to call but didn't; I think that was the right choice.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by cardsfordays
I recently went into a Chase branch with the intention of applying for a pre-qualified / pre-approved card on the spot. Like most of us here, I'm way over 5/24.

Unfortunately, the banker told me he could only have me apply for the CSP, Freedom or Slate (*maybe checking if I was pre-qualified, but perhaps he didn't even really get that part) and that for other cards, such as the UMPE, I would just have to apply online.

Does this seem right? Can I actually not be pre-qualified in branch for non-Chase branded cards, in order to get past the 5/24 rule? Any data points on being pre-approved/ qualified for non Chase cards, in branch or any tips on what to tell the banker so they can know how to check for pre-qualified offers?
This makes sense. When I went to the branch today, the banker said they have access to slate, freedom unlimited (but not the old freedom), and CSP through a special application portal which is not available to the general public. For all the others they don't have any special application portal. In my case (I am way over 5/24), after opening the checking a/c, did not get any pre-approved offers but still chanced CSP which went to the dreaded 7-10 days pending - aka inevitable denial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.