Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 9, 16, 1:50 pm

About two months ago I applied online for the Freedom Unlimited; denied & called recon and still denied. This was because I'm well over 5/24 (I think I'm at 7/24).

Questions:

1) Should I pay a visit to an actual Chase branch, and try to apply in person again?

2) Does it help with the 5/24 rules if I close some cards open during this past 2 years?

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 16, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ConcreteVitamin View Post
Does it help with the 5/24 rules if I close some cards open during this past 2 years?
Chase is relying on information drawn from your credit report. Thus, the underlying question is Does closing a recently opened card make it disappear from my credit report?

Answer: no.

This question has come up often enough that I've now added a new entry to the wiki.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 9, 16 at 2:01 pm
Old Jul 9, 16, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo View Post
Hi just curious if anyone has successfully applied for the Chase British Airways card after the 5/24 for co-brand? The Wiki indicates that this is not one of those that were not affected but still would like to see if anyone was successful as I don't see much mentioning about this.

Thanks very much for any tip and help, good luck!
My SO did and she is WAY over 5/24. Just got approved a week ago albeit she had to wait a few weeks for automatic approval.
Old Jul 9, 16, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher View Post
My SO did and she is WAY over 5/24. Just got approved a week ago albeit she had to wait a few weeks for automatic approval.
Which card?
Old Jul 10, 16, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Plastic, Hyatt Podiatrist (or something), Hilton Plastic, IHG Plastic
Originally Posted by cardsfordays View Post
I recently went into a Chase branch with the intention of applying for a pre-qualified / pre-approved card on the spot. Like most of us here, I'm way over 5/24.

Unfortunately, the banker told me he could only have me apply for the CSP, Freedom or Slate (*maybe checking if I was pre-qualified, but perhaps he didn't even really get that part) and that for other cards, such as the UMPE, I would just have to apply online.

Does this seem right? Can I actually not be pre-qualified in branch for non-Chase branded cards, in order to get past the 5/24 rule? Any data points on being pre-approved/ qualified for non Chase cards, in branch or any tips on what to tell the banker so they can know how to check for pre-qualified offers?
They might be marketing different cards now, but I applied for the Club card in branch 3, or 4 years ago.
Old Jul 10, 16, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Which card?
British Airways.
Old Jul 12, 16, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
Old Jul 12, 16, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 View Post
Applied BA 7/1, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Applied Marriott Biz 7/7, Approved 7/12, 50+/24, Did not call in

Two different people
frudd38: How many cards with Chase do the 2 different people have?

I'm curious because I would like to get the Marriott Business, but already have 6 cards with Chase.
Old Jul 12, 16, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
frudd38: How many cards with Chase do the 2 different people have?

I'm curious because I would like to get the Marriott Business, but already have 6 cards with Chase.
Marriot Biz had 6 personal and 2 inks. The last personal app earlier this year took 3 recons to get approved, basically agent roulette. Obviously, heavily ymmv but the list of unaffected 5/24 still seems good to go.
Old Jul 12, 16, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by highops View Post
They might be marketing different cards now, but I applied for the Club card in branch 3, or 4 years ago.

+1 branch app for club card two years ago. Not targeted. I just wanted the no AF in year one. Branch rep actually reckoned on my behalf. On the spot
Old Jul 12, 16, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Has anyone been able to overcome 5/24 by (1) having over $10k in Chase accounts (2) applying in branch and (3) asking the banker to fill out a special consideration form?

The form's existence is documented here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...consideration/

Unfortunately, all comments on that blog post state that the $10k special consideration form did not help.
Old Jul 12, 16, 6:12 pm

Recently moved to a new state where there is a chase branch. Opened up a chase checking a/c with the $300 promo for checking. No pre-approved credit card offers. Banker applied for chase sapphire using their link (not the public one) but got the dreaded 7-10 days pending - that is most likely a denied. Wondering if I should go ahead and apply for chase freedom today as well - two inquiries same day. FWIW, I'm way above 5/24 like most people here.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:05 pm

Is the recommendation to NOT call for only people passed or close to 5/24?
I applied for Chase Hyatt and got 7-10 days on pending page, 30 days via email, and 2 weeks on the automated line.
I'm 1/24 and have Freedom, Sapphire, and Ink Cash with Chase.
I'm wondering if I should just wait or try to give them a call.
Old Jul 12, 16, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, MR Plat, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat
Applied for IHG card when the bonus was 80k in June. Went straight to pending- "we will notify you by mail within 30 days." After nary a peep got a call from Chase today (Day #18) to ask me a few questions. After "talking to her boss" I was approved and can see the card when I log on to Chase.com.

Prior to this card I had 7 new approvals (plus one new authorized user card) in the past 24 months. I was tempted to call but didn't; I think that was the right choice.
Old Jul 12, 16, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by cardsfordays View Post
I recently went into a Chase branch with the intention of applying for a pre-qualified / pre-approved card on the spot. Like most of us here, I'm way over 5/24.

Unfortunately, the banker told me he could only have me apply for the CSP, Freedom or Slate (*maybe checking if I was pre-qualified, but perhaps he didn't even really get that part) and that for other cards, such as the UMPE, I would just have to apply online.

Does this seem right? Can I actually not be pre-qualified in branch for non-Chase branded cards, in order to get past the 5/24 rule? Any data points on being pre-approved/ qualified for non Chase cards, in branch or any tips on what to tell the banker so they can know how to check for pre-qualified offers?
This makes sense. When I went to the branch today, the banker said they have access to slate, freedom unlimited (but not the old freedom), and CSP through a special application portal which is not available to the general public. For all the others they don't have any special application portal. In my case (I am way over 5/24), after opening the checking a/c, did not get any pre-approved offers but still chanced CSP which went to the dreaded 7-10 days pending - aka inevitable denial.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: