Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 22, 16, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by FrugalShopper View Post
I ran across this situation with the Hyatt card when I tried via SM. I then called and the agent explained to me that the card was not ready to send out yet due to partner verification with Hyatt. She suggested I call back in a couple days to see if the process has completed. She explained that she can't put in an expedite request prior to the card being ready to send out. But once it's ready to send out, they will be happy to do so. But you also need to catch them before they send it out via snail mail, otherwise you run into the duplicate card situation.
Thanks ^. Came back to update that I sent another SM and they expedited it but did indicate I will get duplicate cards.
Old Jun 22, 16, 2:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
I applied for the Mileage Plus card with the targeted 70,000 bonus. I knew I shouldn't but I couldn't resist. I figured I was the best case of someone with 5/24. While I had 5 new cards in the last 24 months, it was also 5 new cards in the last 10 years. My FICO is over 800 and I downgraded Chase credit limits from $30,000 to $10,000 before applying.

No go. Denial letter dated the next day said I had two many cards in the last 2 years. So anyone thinking of taking a chance, don't bother.
Old Jun 22, 16, 2:09 pm

Applied for Ink Plus in late March within days of applying for SW Business and CSP. Got denied for applying for too many cards within a short period of time. Didn't realize that was a thing. I'm Under 5/24. Would like to reapply now. Is it too soon? I couldn't find much guidance on how long to wait after a denial

Also, I'm a manager in a small business and put a lot of expenses on credit cards. Will be close to $600k in 2016 and approximately $400k in the next two months. With that said, I can't put the business name on the card because I can't signup for a card on behalf of the business. I did Sole Proprietorship for the SW Business and AmEx SPG Business with $0 in revenue and got approved.

Is there a way to explain to Chase that I fully intend to utilize all of the credit they provide me for this card and that they won't be disappointed in the amount of money I put on it?

Other alternative is to just have my wife apply for the Ink Plus, which she would probably be approved for.
Old Jun 23, 16, 6:38 pm

Looking to take advantage of the 70k UA MPE offer and reading through the Wiki and last ~10 pages, would appreciate clarification on how closed authorized users accounts contribute towards the 5/24?

Scanning through my Credit Karma report, in the past 24 months, I have:
Primary: 5 (1 open & 4 closed)
AU: 13 (2 open & 11 closed)

One of the primary accounts is falling outside the 24 months quite soon, but I'm curious how the AU accounts would count, seeing as they're mostly closed...

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 16, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
There are never guarantees on this, because all we know we know from datapoints, and since Chase rarely gives instant approvals, all datapoints are by definition days if not weeks after the application date.

So we never know if something might have changed in the last few days, ever, on a rolling basis.

So if you demand such certainty that not knowing if anything has changed in the last few days is a deal killer, you can never apply for a card again, because we never can know if anything has changed just in the last few days.

Even with semi-official notification, like when 5/24 got extended to several cards back on 5/22/16, we didn't find out about if 2 days after that.
nobody demanded anything and I certainly didn't direct any question at you so I fail to understand why you felt compelled to chime in.

I'm not sure if you realize it or not or if you just don't care but you have a pattern of being very caustic in your responses and it takes something away from all the great contributions on this board.

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Jun 23, 16 at 11:15 pm
Old Jun 23, 16, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by anime333 View Post
I've seen a lot of data points saying it is OK. But who knows; that could have changed in the past few days!
thanks
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I'm at 2/24 (opened 2 accounts December of 2014) and around an 800 FICO. Applied for the 70k MPE w/ $50 SC on 6/22, but was given the "we'll notify you in writing within 30 days" notice.

A little confused since normally this would be a slam dunk...given that I'm well under 5/24, does FT think I should call in to see if they just need income verification or something?

I currently have 3 Chase cards open, last closed an account with them in January of 2016.
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'd call.

They may want you to move credit around from other Chase cards.
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I'd call.

They may want you to move credit around from other Chase cards.
Yep, that was it. Aggregate exposure on those 3 cards was about 50% of my income, so they wanted to move it around. Dropped my 2 highest limits by 5k each and was approved for 10k ^
Old Jun 27, 16, 11:16 pm

Will I Qualify for the Bonus Rewards?

Back in January, I started collecting mileage with the Chase British Airways Visa. Iíve 207,000 miles, reached my $30,000 spend for the year, and Iíll be getting a companion travel ticket soon.

I was planning to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred, so I can get 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards and transfer these to British Airways. I may have discovered a problem, however.

About 7 years ago I had a Chase Visa that gave cash rewards. Around 2009 Chase replaced it with the Chase Sapphire Preferred that no longer gave cash but gave points. I donít know if I ever activated the Sapphire Preferred Card but if I did I canceled it soon thereafter.

I went onto Chase online today to confirm my $30,000 spend on the BA Visa and discovered that Chase Online is showing me as still having the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. They havenít sent me a new card in the last 7 years and the last spend on the card was in 2009 but Iím thinking this may still be a problem.

If I apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa and it is approved, am I likely to qualify for the 50,000 points.
Old Jun 28, 16, 5:30 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by chinook9 View Post
If I apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa and it is approved, am I likely to qualify for the 50,000 points.
Read the terms of the Sapphire Preferred offer:

50K Bonus points
Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.*
Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.*
This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
You will need to close the existing account before applying.
Old Jun 28, 16, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Read the terms of the Sapphire Preferred offer:

You will need to close the existing account before applying.
Thank you. I never thought about that. I will call them and see if that account is technically "open."
Old Jun 28, 16, 7:29 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Thank you. I never thought about that. I will call them and see if that account is technically "open."
I opened my CSP around 30+ months ago and closed it at 1 year. I applied 2 months ago and got the 50K bonus this cycle.

So yes if it's open close it and then you should be ok because you're beyond the 24 months. I know online my 1st CSP was listed as closed but was still there and I had to delete it I believe.
It also maybe a old product if you're not get annual fee's at renewal time?
Old Jun 28, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
It may just be on your online view. I canceled a Citi card about 10 months ago and it is still showing online. I haven't deleted it (Amex allows you to do it yourself even) because I'm lazy. It shows as closed on my credit report though. You could always check your credit report. Then I'd PM chase and have it removed.
Old Jun 28, 16, 10:36 am

Thank you jjmiller69 and Stgermainparis. This gives me hope....not that its a big deal but it would be nice if I could easily get the 50,000 additional miles.

Planning to use all my miles for DEN-JNB business class and these extra miles might even allow a leg or two in first.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: