Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 16, 10:44 pm

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
So are you just wait for it to happen because it's on your "bucket list"?

It will happened eventually at most banks. So I suggest doing a transaction once every year or so if you don't want it to happen.
I rarely keep a card for more than a year.

For the few I do keep, yes, your advice is sound.
Old Jun 20, 16, 4:28 pm

Programs: lots of memberships, not much status
I was just approved for the CSP on 6/3, with a 25k limit. EX said 736 on my letter in the mail, but my AMEX-provided EX score was 753. Oh well. My relationship manager did send in a special consideration form with the CSP app, and apparently that helped. Oh, that CSP puts me at 12/24, no AU accounts, and an Amex Platinum that still hasn't been reported. On 6/10, I applied for the ink+ in branch. My banker sent special consideration with the app on the spot, but I was getting the 7-10 days on the automated line. On Thursday, banker told me the application was denied, but she sent in special consideration form again, just to see if it helps. Today, I got a call from chase business credit services, they asked me a number of questions of my business income (listed at 135k) and the additional income I wrote on the applications (contract work I do unrelated to my declared business). After I answered all of his super friendly questions, he asked me about my estimated expenses for the next year. I told him probably between 3-5k/month. He asked if 15k limit was enough. I said yes. He put me on hold for about five minutes, then came back and congratulated me on my new card. He also agreed to expedite and have it to me 48-72 hours. Just a random data point for everyone. Maybe we should all become really good personal friends with our bankers at the branch?
Old Jun 20, 16, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
What kind of relationship do you have with your banker? Do you have other accounts, a bonafide checking relationship with thousands of dollars on deposit, or something up to CPC?

I ask because I have chatted up relationship manager/bankers at 3 Chase B&M locations--all were nice but I'm not sure what potential factors could make this already-YMMV situation more or less probable.
Old Jun 20, 16, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
What kind of relationship do you have with your banker? Do you have other accounts, a bonafide checking relationship with thousands of dollars on deposit, or something up to CPC?

I ask because I have chatted up relationship manager/bankers at 3 Chase B&M locations--all were nice but I'm not sure what potential factors could make this already-YMMV situation more or less probable.
So, I have CPC, but through a joint account with immediate family. Back in January, I made a new friend at my local dog park who turned out to be a chase relationship banker at the branch across the street from the park. We became friends, and when I wanted to make a final push to circumvent 5/24 before giving up, I decided I should start by opening some accounts first. I got the 500 dollar premier checking+savings bonus. When those posted, I opened the joint account and had them converted to CPC. Then, I set up a total business checking account for a legitimate educational services business I run. In total, I keep between 20 and 50k in deposits there across all my accounts. When my accounts were converted to CPC, I elected to keep my friend as my banker instead of going to another nearby branch that had a CPC team. I told her about my knowledge of 5/24, and how sad I was that I'd probably never be able to get a chase CC. She took it as a personal challenge, and she sent in special consideration forms immediately after I wasn't auto approved. She also told me that when she called in to check my status (she didn't even know they had automated status lines until I told her), that a rep told her that "a decision had been made", but they're re-reviewing since they received the special consideration form. A week later, CSP appeared in my account. Similar incidence with the Ink+, except the CSR actually told my banker that I had been declined, and then she re-sent the same special consideration form. Seems like it helped.

Last edited by tr00gle; Jun 20, 16 at 5:37 pm Reason: Some add'l bullet points
Old Jun 20, 16, 5:39 pm

1. I think it's still extremely YMMV
2. I made both of these applications knowing full-well that any data points supporting me here were tenuous at best.
3. After these bonuses are earned, I'm going to keep using her to apply for cards covered by 5/24 in branch until I get denied for it. Then I'll finally take a break.
Old Jun 20, 16, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat and 1MM, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hertz PC
Two weeks after I applied online, the status is still "You will be notified in 30 days." I spend close to $100K on my 3 Chase cards every year and I offered to reallocate my credit to get the CSR. The agent said they would like to offer incremental credit but would require a senior lender to sign off. But still no decision. Very frustrating.

My FICO 8 is close to 800 (I know they might not use FICO 8), and at 1/24.
Old Jun 20, 16, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tr00gle View Post
Seems like it helped.
Wow. It's like you were destined to churn Chase credit cards. I'm happy for you--time for me to run out and get a dog and marry into a CPC family!
Old Jun 20, 16, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So you just called two days after they said they will send you the decision by mail when you applied?

It's been 3 days for me.
Yep, that's what I did. I figured it was the exact situation that it ended up being. They didn't want to give me more credit, but were perfectly willing to give me the card. I was prepared to cancel my Amazon card or my United Select if they wanted me to cancel a card to get the new one.

Not really sure why I keep the United Select anymore. $95 annual fee gets me 5k miles/yr. I guess it's mostly that if I really start flying UA again for status, the extra PQM I can get will help. Probably should get rid of it, though.
Old Jun 20, 16, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 16, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by anime333 View Post
The Marriott Business card does not look to be affected.
How certain are you of this. Want to add the 100k to the balance but at 15 cards in 12 and 28 in 24 and don't want to waste a pull
Old Jun 21, 16, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
How certain are you of this. Want to add the 100k to the balance but at 15 cards in 12 and 28 in 24 and don't want to waste a pull
I've seen a lot of data points saying it is OK. But who knows; that could have changed in the past few days!
Old Jun 21, 16, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
There are never guarantees on this, because all we know we know from datapoints, and since Chase rarely gives instant approvals, all datapoints are by definition days if not weeks after the application date.

So we never know if something might have changed in the last few days, ever, on a rolling basis.

So if you demand such certainty that not knowing if anything has changed in the last few days is a deal killer, you can never apply for a card again, because we never can know if anything has changed just in the last few days.

Even with semi-official notification, like when 5/24 got extended to several cards back on 5/22/16, we didn't find out about if 2 days after that.
Old Jun 21, 16, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I believe it was 6/15 when I applied online for the targeted United Explorer card.

I wasn't sure if I hit the 5/24. One of my new cards in the last 24 months was a downgrade from Ink Plus to Ink Cash so if that counted, I'd be right at 5/24.

I unfroze with Experian only, though I'd seen posts indicating that Chase was pulling Experian and Equifax.

I got a letter in the mail dated 6/16 saying they needed me to lift the freeze with Equinox, so pretty quick response. I don't know why they couldn't just use email though, as that would have been quicker.

I unfroze Equifax and then I called the toll free number for Lending Services (888-270-2127, 8-20:00 M-F). I thought it was only going to be to let them know that they can pull Equifax but she put me on hold and they did the pull.

Then she came back and asked a couple of more income verification and mortgage payments questions.

Then another hold and then she says she'd be likely to approve but I'd have to move credit around so I reduced a lot of excess credit on two Chase cards and she approved.

She said 1-2 weeks, can't expedite or send the card by express services because their partner United has to go through the process of linking the accounts.

Asked about whether I'd have any problem getting the promo (I got the promo in 2012, then canceled the card, then got a targeted offer in early 2014, got the card then told I wouldn't get the promo so I canceled it then. The second cancellation may have been within the 24-month period). She didn't directly say it but implied that she wouldn't have approved the card if I wasn't going to get the promo. Instead the welcome letter should spell it out.
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:25 am

Programs: DL GM
She said 1-2 weeks, can't expedite or send the card by express services because their partner United has to go through the process of linking the accounts.
I also tried to expedite the card via SM and was denied as well.
Old Jun 22, 16, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy View Post
I also tried to expedite the card via SM and was denied as well.
I ran across this situation with the Hyatt card when I tried via SM. I then called and the agent explained to me that the card was not ready to send out yet due to partner verification with Hyatt. She suggested I call back in a couple days to see if the process has completed. She explained that she can't put in an expedite request prior to the card being ready to send out. But once it's ready to send out, they will be happy to do so. But you also need to catch them before they send it out via snail mail, otherwise you run into the duplicate card situation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: