Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 16, 3:29 pm
  #4276  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Posts: 2,444
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Are they for AMEX cards? If not, realize the bank will not ask for SS#'s for the AUs.
Barclay also requires AU SSN now.

As of a year ago, Amex did not require AU SSN if you call to add them. I kept getting letters each month asking for SSNs but never bothered.

Nowadays I freely add myself as AUs. I probably have 12 million accounts on my CR. Fine with me as long as banks keep approving me for new CCs - which they do, except 5/24, which is small enough in the grand scheme of the game.

Obviously if someone is still under 5/24, they should keep it that way.
italdesign is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 4:01 pm
  #4277  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
Barclay also requires AU SSN now.

As of a year ago, Amex did not require AU SSN if you call to add them. I kept getting letters each month asking for SSNs but never bothered.

Nowadays I freely add myself as AUs. I probably have 12 million accounts on my CR. Fine with me as long as banks keep approving me for new CCs - which they do, except 5/24, which is small enough in the grand scheme of the game.

Obviously if someone is still under 5/24, they should keep it that way.
From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be much risk in getting an AU card, using it once, cancelling it, then getting it completely removed from the CRs within 4 weeks or so. Is that still true?

The AU cards are all Chase BTW. Also sounds like the success rate on getting reconn'd if 5/24 is being triggered by an AU account is mixed.
tomterrfic is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 5:19 pm
  #4278  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by sjwoo View Post
Here's a data point for a rejection.

Applied for the 70K, got my denied letter for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years" today. Chase is using Experian, so I pulled my credit report. Looking through it, I see the following card openings that would be inclusive of this decision:

AMERICAN EXPRESS
03/2016
BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE
06/2014
CAPITAL ONE
06/2015
CHASE CARD
09/2015
CITI CARDS/CITIBANK
08/2014

I just called the reconsider line and they said there's nothing they can do. Chase-wise, I currently hold the MileagePlus Card (one I'd downgraded years and years ago) and the Southwest. In the past, I've had MileagePlus Explorer (more than 24 months ago), Sapphire Preferred, Marriott, all of which I cancelled.

They wouldn't tell me that this was because of the 5/24 rule -- they wouldn't say anything at all, really, except that they could not approve it and that was it. If the Barclays is the one that's causing the denial, then I guess I'll have to wait until July to try again. Unfortunately, the 70K offer will be gone by then. To be on the safe side, I think I'll wait until September so the Citi card will be off as well.
A followup -- another data point, I suppose. I was out and stopped by a local Chase branch to see if they could help. The Chase Private Client rep was super nice and got them on the horn, but no dice. She mentioned on her phone call with the reconsideration line folks that she's been getting a lot of these types of requests from customers, and she mentioned it was almost always for United cards. The rep told her that the 5/24 limitation is being enacted by United, not Chase. Not sure how much of that I believe -- after all, the two companies came up with the plan. But that's the story I got today.
sjwoo is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 5:54 pm
  #4279  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: LAX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,187
A few months ago, I was applied for and was rejected for the Marriott personal card because I had way too many cards open and also because Chase did not want to give me any more credit limits. Chase called me a few days after I applied when I requested them to reduce my credit limit from other card(s) and extend it to the Marriott card. After a minute or two of wait, the rep came on line and said the application has moved higher up and I will know by mail about their decision.

Since then I had applied for and two two personal cards from other issuers.

Fast forward a month ago, I got the IHG offer in mail for the 80K promo after 1K spending. I went ahead and applied for the card and got the usual message that they are reviewing the application and will let me know by mail. After three weeks of waiting, I finally got an email that they have approved the card with a generous credit limit.
jediwho is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 6:36 pm
  #4280  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,277
Applied two days ago for the UA Explorer targeted 70k offer. Got decision pending message...

Called today, agent said they didn't want to extend more credit for me, but let me transfer $5k from my Freedom Unlimited to the Explorer. Didn't make me cancel a card. I already have 2 Chase business cards (Ink Bold, Business Explorer) and 4 personal cards (Amazon, United Select, IHG, Freedom Unlimited). He said he'd recommend for approval but it still had to go to management, and that could take 1-2 weeks because they have high volume right now.

Checked my online account later today, and the card was already there. Called to have it expedited and I should have it in a few days.

Including this card, I'm now at 4/24.
penner42 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 7:43 pm
  #4281  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 9
Hello i'm trying to take advantage of the 70k MPE offer. I cancelled my 4yr old MPE today and wondering how long I should wait until reapplying?
Duaber is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 8:05 pm
  #4282  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,748
Originally Posted by Duaber View Post
Hello i'm trying to take advantage of the 70k MPE offer. I cancelled my 4yr old MPE today and wondering how long I should wait until reapplying?
Just be aware some of those offer expire end of June.
YoungBubbie is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 8:50 pm
  #4283  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Posts: 2,444
Originally Posted by tomterrfic View Post
From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be much risk in getting an AU card, using it once, cancelling it, then getting it completely removed from the CRs within 4 weeks or so. Is that still true?
Yes, no problem.
italdesign is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 7:26 am
  #4284  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by sjwoo View Post
A followup -- another data point, I suppose. I was out and stopped by a local Chase branch to see if they could help. The Chase Private Client rep was super nice and got them on the horn, but no dice. She mentioned on her phone call with the reconsideration line folks that she's been getting a lot of these types of requests from customers, and she mentioned it was almost always for United cards. The rep told her that the 5/24 limitation is being enacted by United, not Chase. Not sure how much of that I believe -- after all, the two companies came up with the plan. But that's the story I got today.
And I suppose that United is also responsible for the 5/6/24 rule on the CSP and the Freedom too?
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 10:52 am
  #4285  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 12,730
Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
Applied two days ago for the UA Explorer targeted 70k offer. Got decision pending message...

Called today, agent said they didn't want to extend more credit for me, but let me transfer $5k from my Freedom Unlimited to the Explorer. Didn't make me cancel a card. I already have 2 Chase business cards (Ink Bold, Business Explorer) and 4 personal cards (Amazon, United Select, IHG, Freedom Unlimited). He said he'd recommend for approval but it still had to go to management, and that could take 1-2 weeks because they have high volume right now.

Checked my online account later today, and the card was already there. Called to have it expedited and I should have it in a few days.

Including this card, I'm now at 4/24.
So you just called two days after they said they will send you the decision by mail when you applied?

It's been 3 days for me.
wco81 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 11:40 am
  #4286  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,963
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
I stopped doing that about 2 years ago. No card of mine lives to see another transaction after meeting MSR nowadays (sockdrawered). Never had a card close due to inactivity.
So are you just wait for it to happen because it's on your "bucket list"?

It will happened eventually at most banks. So I suggest doing a transaction once every year or so if you don't want it to happen.

I've had several cards at several banks closed due to inactivity, including one at Chase, but i didn't keep track of how long a period of inactivity it was.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 11:54 am
  #4287  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
I'm about to go from 5/24 to 4/24, advice on what to do/get?

I have a
Chase Sapphire
Hyatt Rewards
Southwest Plus card
AMEX Gold


My United Miles Plus should fall out of the 24 month range on august 1st I believe so I should be able to get a chase card. I want to get the southwest premier if it is still around to get the companion pass.

Does anyone recommend any other card to get? I was thinking of applying for 2 at once in hopes I could get two from them.

Also if my card is listed on the record as 8/1/14 then can i apply with chase 8/2/16?
josiahw11 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 1:56 pm
  #4288  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 24
Does anyone know when the current Chase Refer-a-Friend will end? (Do they end?)
tomterrfic is offline  
Old Jun 19, 16, 1:38 am
  #4289  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 530
chase cards that are affected by 5/24:

All chase issed non-co-branded cards
Chase Business Ink Plus/Cash
All Chase Marriott Cards (Ritz-Carlton excluded)
All Chase Southwest Cards
All Chase United Cards

soooo take a pick?

edit:

there is a 70k + 5k on AU + $50 targeted United offer.
https://www.theexplorercard.com/70k50ICLTO
you can't get this matched and have to be targeted.
runb4fun is offline  
Old Jun 19, 16, 7:41 pm
  #4290  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by runb4fun View Post
chase cards that are affected by 5/24:

All chase issed non-co-branded cards
Chase Business Ink Plus/Cash
All Chase Marriott Cards (Ritz-Carlton excluded)
All Chase Southwest Cards
All Chase United Cards

soooo take a pick?

edit:

there is a 70k + 5k on AU + $50 targeted United offer.
https://www.theexplorercard.com/70k50ICLTO
you can't get this matched and have to be targeted.
The Marriott Business card does not look to be affected.
anime333 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: