Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 16, 16, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Fairmont is clear of the 5/24, approved on the 13th day, two week message after application.
Old Jun 16, 16, 9:31 pm

If this has already been answered I apologize - I have exactly 5 new accounts in the last 24 months - but one of them is an Ink that does not appear on my consumer credit report. Does that still count among the 5?

Edit: I have 5 years of history with Chase on at least one card, plus a checking account.

Last edited by tomterrfic; Jun 16, 16 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 16, 16, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tomterrfic View Post
If this has already been answered I apologize - I have exactly 5 new accounts in the last 24 months - but one of them is an Ink that does not appear on my consumer credit report. Does that still count among the 5?

Edit: I have 5 years of history with Chase on at least one card, plus a checking account.
Do you think Chase won't see their own cards?
Old Jun 16, 16, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Do you think Chase won't see their own cards?
Wasn't sure whether the automated system only looked at the credit report (only 4 cards) or looked across its own system as well (fifth card). That's why I asked.

Also, my business cards aren't associated with my chase online profile. I keep a separate profile for my business accounts - checking and credit. Not sure if that changes anything.
Old Jun 16, 16, 11:28 pm

Programs: MileagePlus GS, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Any other cards in the last 30 days?
No.
Old Jun 17, 16, 1:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
So...I am wondering if 5/24 only cares about open cards, or any cards opened in the last 24 months on a credit report.

The reason I ask, is I was approved for the Chase Freedom UL card despite having 10 new accounts over the past 24 months. I called in to get the approval expedited, and no mention of the number of accounts was really made. Looking it over, only four of the 10 accounts were open; could that be why I was approved?
Old Jun 17, 16, 2:01 am
Suspended

The "original" 5/24 didn't care whether an account was open or closed, as long as it was a new account within the past 24 months. It's possible 5/24 has been updated.
Old Jun 17, 16, 7:48 am

Solid data points on this, Chase does indeed count it's own business cards that don't appear on your CR.
Old Jun 17, 16, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Solid data points on this, Chase does indeed count it's own business cards that don't appear on your CR.
Thanks. Probably not worth applying for now. I'll be down to 3/24 in November. (Though I may want to trigger two AU bonuses for my SO between now and then.)
Old Jun 17, 16, 9:07 am

Question on the "one bonus per product per cardmember per 24 months" policy.
Is a cardmember the person whose name is on the card, or is it the business named on the card?

If I apply for an ink plus for business A with EIN A, and then several months later apply for business B with EIN B, but both applications also have my name and SSN on them, do I get the bonus on the new card for business B?
Old Jun 17, 16, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
No.
Well, if not 30 days, any opened in the 60 days or 90 days previous to Chase app???

Ie, did you check report about the same time the Chase app was done? Were there really even all those 6 cards showing on the credit report, or was another one (besides the business card) missing? It's what shows on the credit report (plus cards with Chase themselves) that counts, not what cards you have and when you got them. (You may those two things are the same, but they are different enough that they can explain the difference between a count of 7 and a count of 5.)

So if you don't really know what was showing on the credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months, you can't know how many cards Chase saw in the past 24 months.

Sometimes from certain banks new cards take a few months to show up on credit reports. It's inconsistent, so we can't tell you a specific time to look back. And, again, there are multiple reasons cards may not show on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months, business cards and cards opened recently are just two of them.

Another one, for example, is Amex cards opened prior to mid-March 2015 were backdated on credit reports with an "opened on" date of the very first Amex card you ever had. So for example, if those 7 cards included an Amex personal card that was applied for in 2014 or early 2015, that might have been backdated to not say "opened on" in the past 24 months, and that could why Chase didn't see it.

So there's probably an explanation of why you 7 cards didn't counts as over 5/24 simply because Chase didn't "see" at least 2 of them, but without you poring over the credit report, it's hard to figure out exactly why one non-business card wasn't counted.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 17, 16 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 17, 16, 10:54 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
My policy of spend every billing period on every open Chase card is so over. Now I only spend when it is really worth it.
I stopped doing that about 2 years ago. No card of mine lives to see another transaction after meeting MSR nowadays (sockdrawered). Never had a card close due to inactivity.
Old Jun 17, 16, 12:37 pm

"24 months" to receive the bonus again?

I'm looking at the 70,000 offer which expires 6-30, and checked back at my recently closed account. I opened that account in May 2014. So, where do you think I fall in the "24 months since you last received the bonus" rule? I opened the account in May, but received the bonus in June or July. Am I still within the 24 months?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
Old Jun 17, 16, 1:24 pm

Thanks. Probably not worth applying for now. I'll be down to 3/24 in November. (Though I may want to trigger two AU bonuses for my SO between now and then.)
Are they for AMEX cards? If not, realize the bank will not ask for SS#'s for the AUs. So no need to use your name. Ask for them in the name of your children, your cousins, or your dog and cat. The cards will be sent to your SO, who if there is a requirement that they be used at least once, can use them at a grocery store or gas pump where no id is checked. Then the AU cards can be shredded. No need to mess up your future Chase apps....
Old Jun 17, 16, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bound4MEL View Post
I'm looking at the 70,000 offer which expires 6-30, and checked back at my recently closed account. I opened that account in May 2014. So, where do you think I fall in the "24 months since you last received the bonus" rule? I opened the account in May, but received the bonus in June or July. Am I still within the 24 months?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
It really doesn't matter when you applied for the card, the 24 months is from when the bonus was issued.

Since you don't seem to know quite when that was, SM Chase using the website link, and if that card isn't open any more, include the account number. Just ask when the bonus was issued. They answered my SM within a day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: