Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 14, 16, 8:43 am

Cancel / Reapply (safely 24 months post bonus) datapoints?

I know this is in the wiki:
Chase's policy does not indicate whether there is also a minimum waiting period between cancellation and reapplication, and there is not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence from FTers to draw firm conclusions. At a minimum, a prudent churner will wait at least a week or two after cancellation before reapplying so that all of Chase's systems fully reflect that closure.
And I follow this thread - a couple pages back someone asked this and sorta got buried under the 5/24 chatter (understandable).

But I'm looking for some recent datapoints on this - I'm in the Hyatt card for a few years already post bonus. Assuming I'm not even concerned about 5/24 or credit limits, etc... and I cancel today, I'm ok waiting a week or 2, but what's the experience out there? 1 week? 2 weeks? a month? any declines in similar situations?

Perhaps we can gather some reports and update the wiki a bit more (i dont mind doing so).
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by levilevi View Post
I know this is in the wiki:

And I follow this thread - a couple pages back someone asked this and sorta got buried under the 5/24 chatter (understandable).

But I'm looking for some recent datapoints on this - I'm in the Hyatt card for a few years already post bonus. Assuming I'm not even concerned about 5/24 or credit limits, etc... and I cancel today, I'm ok waiting a week or 2, but what's the experience out there? 1 week? 2 weeks? a month? any declines in similar situations?

Perhaps we can gather some reports and update the wiki a bit more (i dont mind doing so).
I had asked this and could not get a clear answer either.

I closed my Marriott on 5/10 and applied for a new one 6/3 through my husband's refer a friend link.

Got the email 6/8 that I was approved. Just waiting on my card.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 15, 16, 6:49 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Chase Hyatt approved

My Chase Hyatt app was approved yesterday.

Here are my data points.
-canceled Chase Hyatt Oct/Nov 2015.
-I have 20 applications, including other banks, over the last 24 months.
- Applied for Chase Hyatt again on 6/11 and got a pending decision message.
- Was planning to call Chase recon line but got too busy during the week w/ the day job so I forgot to call.
- Received e-mail on 6/14 that my new card is approved and on its way.
- I have 2 Chase personal and 2 Chase BUS cards open at the time of the app.
Old Jun 15, 16, 6:53 am

Well over 5/24. Responded to a targeted snail mail offer for the Ink, and was declined for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years".

Called Reconsideration and said why did you send me the letter asking me to apply? She said that it was not a pre-approval, and the marketing department does what they want.

Last edited by maxmnx; Jun 15, 16 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 15, 16, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by maxmnx View Post
Well over 5/24. Responded to a targeted snail mail offer for the Ink, and was declined for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years".

Called Reconsideration and said why did you send me the letter asking me to apply? She said that it was not a pre-approval, and the marketing department does what they want.
An attitude on Chase's part that we are all noticing, and we will treat Chase in a like manner.

My policy of spend every billing period on every open Chase card is so over. Now I only spend when it is really worth it.

I am delighted though that they decided to compete with Citi for my Costco business. All of our Costco spend for the rest of the year will go on our 2 Freedom cards, meaning no need to MS on them for the rest of the year.
Old Jun 15, 16, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
An attitude on Chase's part that we are all noticing, and we will treat Chase in a like manner.

My policy of spend every billing period on every open Chase card is so over. Now I only spend when it is really worth it.

I am delighted though that they decided to compete with Citi for my Costco business. All of our Costco spend for the rest of the year will go on our 2 Freedom cards, meaning no need to MS on them for the rest of the year.
I have stopped spending that much with Chase as well due to the fact that I can't get a Sapphire card now with 5/24 and therefore my Freedom spend not worth nearly as much through transferring to points. Since I just got the Southwest at least I can spend on that card and getting those points is a good value to me (I value the points at 2 cents because points are better than cash with Southwest - cancellations, etc). Other than that, Barclays has been getting most of our spend with rotating approvals for Arrival and Wyndham cards every year for my spouse and me.
Old Jun 15, 16, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by JL100 View Post
Other than that, Barclays has been getting most of our spend with rotating approvals for Arrival and Wyndham cards every year for my spouse and me.
So you have been getting new versions of these cards every year? I assume you cancel the old ones first. How long do you keep them open, and how long between cancelling and reapplying?
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
I'm in your boat. Got and received my 2 free nights 4 years ago. Literal reading of the card terms suggests if I cancel the card and wait some respectable period - 30 days - I am then "not a current cardholder" and "haven't received a bonus for 24 months"

Not worried about 5/24. Looking for the same data points...
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
My wife was just approved for the UA Mileage Plus Explorer card. She has had 7 credit cards opened in the last 24 months.
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
My wife was just approved for the UA Mileage Plus Explorer card. She has had 7 credit cards opened in the last 24 months.
When did she apply?
How many of those 7 cards are non-Chase business cards?
Old Jun 15, 16, 3:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
When did she apply?
How many of those 7 cards are non-Chase business cards?
She applied on Monday of this week. Only one card is a non-Chase business card.
Old Jun 15, 16, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I applied for a targeted offer for the United Explorer.

They said they will get back to me, up to 30 days, by mail.

I may be at 5/24, not sure. One of them was a downgrade of the Ink Plus to Ink Cash. Not sure if that counts.

I did try preemptively lowering my CL. I sent a SM and they called me back and said I can't do that, I can only do it after the application.
Old Jun 16, 16, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
So you have been getting new versions of these cards every year? I assume you cancel the old ones first. How long do you keep them open, and how long between cancelling and reapplying?
Yes, I cancel the old card and re-apply 1-2 months after cancelling depending on what other recent apps I have had (with all banks). I don't think they have a rule on how many you can have or when and get the bonus, but I have had issues being approved if I have too much open credit with them. Usually the second card is a lower limit, and then when I cancel the card with the higher limit, then the next card is the higher limit as well.
Old Jun 16, 16, 1:40 pm

Here's a data point for a rejection.

Applied for the 70K, got my denied letter for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years" today. Chase is using Experian, so I pulled my credit report. Looking through it, I see the following card openings that would be inclusive of this decision:

AMERICAN EXPRESS
03/2016
BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE
06/2014
CAPITAL ONE
06/2015
CHASE CARD
09/2015
CITI CARDS/CITIBANK
08/2014

I just called the reconsider line and they said there's nothing they can do. Chase-wise, I currently hold the MileagePlus Card (one I'd downgraded years and years ago) and the Southwest. In the past, I've had MileagePlus Explorer (more than 24 months ago), Sapphire Preferred, Marriott, all of which I cancelled.

They wouldn't tell me that this was because of the 5/24 rule -- they wouldn't say anything at all, really, except that they could not approve it and that was it. If the Barclays is the one that's causing the denial, then I guess I'll have to wait until July to try again. Unfortunately, the 70K offer will be gone by then. To be on the safe side, I think I'll wait until September so the Citi card will be off as well.

Last edited by sjwoo; Jun 16, 16 at 9:50 pm
Old Jun 16, 16, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
She applied on Monday of this week. Only one card is a non-Chase business card.
Any other cards in the last 30 days?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: