Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 16, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
Adding you as an AU will not affect "his" application.

Don't call, wait for an answer. Sometimes that takes 5 or even 6 weeks. I know it's hard to be that patient, but calling in reduces your odds of being approved.
thank you Robert Hanson for the advice, I will wait.
Old Jun 10, 16, 7:28 am

Programs: DL, US
Sapphire

I am way over 5 cards in the past 24 months and happened to be in a Chase branch. Out of curiosity, I asked the banker if there were any CC offers on my account. There were 3, including the Sapphire. I told her to go ahead and apply for the Sapphire and was instantly approved with a ridiculous credit limit.
Old Jun 10, 16, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dknn View Post
I asked the banker if there were any CC offers on my account. There were 3, including the Sapphire.
Do you have to be a Chase banking customer to ask a banker if there are any CC offers on your account, or can you still do it if you are only a Chase credit card customer? If the latter, what info do you need to give?
Old Jun 10, 16, 10:06 am

Programs: lots of memberships, not much status
Originally Posted by tr00gle View Post
I'm a CPC customer now, but I signed up for (in feb) and received the chase premier plus checking and premier savings bonuses, opened up a business checking account, and established a good relationship with my banker at chase in the last few months. My last round of citi/chase apps were denied for too many inquiries, also in February, and I'm currently sitting

My banker offered to do a special consideration form, and blah blah blah if I applied for any cards. I'm at a point where I need to sit out on applications for a bit anyway, so I figured one last attempt at the CSP/Ink+ can't hurt.

Applied in branch for CSP, got 7-10 day message on banker's computer screen. We filled out the special consideration form, she faxed it in on the spot with both her endorsement and branch manager's endorsement. We did not call recon from the branch. Later in the day, I checked the automated status line and the status message was "expect our reply in writing in approximately 2 weeks". **also, I'm not preapproved for any cards from chase, and I currently have no other Chase cards

I know we've said the recordings are no longer reliable sources of information, but I know there aren't a ton of data on being way over 5/24 and just going for it anyway. My hopes are low, but we'll see. Updates to come.
Update: after getting the "you will receive our reply in writing in approximately two weeks" status message every day since I applied, I signed into my chase account to find a brand new CSP in there with a 25k limit. Now I'm at 12/24, and I will be at 13/24 once my amex platinum actually shows up on my credit report. I was not pre-approved for anything online or in branch. Experian pulled, FICO 753.
Old Jun 10, 16, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat and 1MM, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hertz PC
MyFico.com shows that Chase pulled credit reports from both Experian and Equifax. Is it common now that Chase pulls CRs from multiple credit agencies? I have never had another credit company pulling CR from more than one credit bureaus.

I'm still getting the 30day notice message after 3 - 4 days.
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by naumank View Post
MyFico.com shows that Chase pulled credit reports from both Experian and Equifax. Is it common now that Chase pulls CRs from multiple credit agencies? I have never had another credit company pulling CR from more than one credit bureaus.

I'm still getting the 30day notice message after 3 - 4 days.
It did the same for me on an app for the Ink Plus. I was at 5/24 and was denied. Grr, wish I had a local Chase branch - seems like people are having success in-branch.
--Kyle
Old Jun 10, 16, 2:08 pm

United under 5/24

A definitive data point that United Mileage Explorer is under 5/24. I have great score, no other issues, targeted with the increased offer and turned down by Chase. Called it, tried everything and hit a concrete wall with the 5/24 rule. I also think bloggers should act a bit more responsibly and not advise this card based on some "exceptions".
Old Jun 10, 16, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, US
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Do you have to be a Chase banking customer to ask a banker if there are any CC offers on your account, or can you still do it if you are only a Chase credit card customer? If the latter, what info do you need to give?
I currently have 3 Chase credit cards, now 4, and a checking/savings account. I guess that makes me a banking customer.
Old Jun 11, 16, 9:39 am

Does anyone know if business credit cards count towards 5/24? I don't mean if they're subject to it when applying for them, but if they count as one of the 5 when I'm applying for another card?

And does it matter if it's a Chase business card? It doesn't show on my personal credit report, but obviously they know when I got it. (Business Explorer, March 7)

If it does count I'm at 3/24, if it doesn't, 2/24. So that would be really nice if it didn't.

Edit: I see in the wiki it says that Chase business cards do count, but other business cards do not. Anyone confirmed any of this lately?
Old Jun 11, 16, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do you have to be a bank customer to go to the Chase branch to see your credit card offers?

Is everyone else finding that Chase pulls from more than one credit bureau?

I had a Chase United Explorer card in 2011 and 2012, got the bonus.

Then I got it again in 2014 and then was told that I would not be getting the bonus so I never tried to meet the required spend and I canceled the card.

Now, a little over 2 years later, I'm getting a targeted offer for 70k. How do I guarantee that they'll give the bonus if I spend $3k?
Old Jun 11, 16, 11:40 pm

Just wanted to share - before reading the forums, I applied/was approved for a Chase co-branded card. Four days later, I applied for a CSP which went pending. Read the forums, realized my mistake, and called recon. The rep was actually really fun to talk to, and got me approved by shifting my existing CL's around!

I have low income, but 775+ scores and perfect payment history. I figure it's always good to talk to a real human being about decisions!
Old Jun 12, 16, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, United Explorer, Chase SP, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the advice guys! I just applied and was approved for a Sapphire - 50kmi with a $4k spend in 3 months. Getting right on it, as soon as I get the card. Perhaps I could've waited for a better miles offer but I have some big expenses & air tickets to book.
Old Jun 12, 16, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
Edit: I see in the wiki it says that Chase business cards do count, but other business cards do not. Anyone confirmed any of this lately?
Just recently confirmed. OP called Recon, who "saw" 5 accounts opened, but the kept saying 6, which included a Chase Business card. It wasn't on the CR, but obviously Chase knew it had been issued.
Old Jun 12, 16, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
Confirm which part?

You can confirm the first part yourself, just by looking at your own credit report (assuming you got some business cards in the last 2 years). The reason other business cards don't count is simply because they don't (tend to) show up on your personal credit report, which is what Chase pulls. Look at your own credit report; does it show any business cards?

But obviously, they don't need to use a credit report to see if you've applied for Chase cards. So they add the non-Chase cards they found through your credit report to the Chase cards they see from their own system. Why would you expect that to change, and in what way?

So which cards they count and which ones they don't count is not an arbitrary decision they made and thus not something that's likely to change; it's just about the only logical way they could count (if what they want to count is card openings rather than pulls).
Old Jun 12, 16, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does the preemptively reducing the credit limit on Chase cards really work?

Wouldn't reducing the available credit hit your FICO?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: