Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 6, 16, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA
(Unfortunately (from the point of view of Chase bonuses), I’m a lot closer to 30/24 (including 5 Chase) than I am to 5/24.)

To those who are knowledgeable about the 5/24 situation: Do we have any or enough evidence to offer a conclusion as to whether or not applying in person at a branch is a viable means to circumvent this policy? Do we think being a Chase Private Client is of any significance? Thank you.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by mingw View Post
I had the Marriot and Ink+ card CL lowered to $10k on 5/24.
waited until today and the msg never changed (30 days notice). called in today, she asked the usual questions (income etc., plus why I have a "high" balance of $2900 on one of my citi credit card... odd to me as I routinely have >$3k balance on my cards). she's noted the application for approval but needs another approval (same as my marriott card last time). 5/24 never mentioned.
I got approved today (6/6), didn't receive notice but card showed up in my online account. they didn't re-allocate CL from my CSP as I asked for during the call, but rather give me new $10k.
Old Jun 7, 16, 1:25 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Got the 70k UA targeted this morning and applied. I'm definitely over 5/24 although only 1 was with Chase though I know that doesn't matter (AMEX PRG, Delta AMEX, Chase Marriott, Citi Prestige, and Citi Premier in the last 24 months).

Got a "need more time" and a "7-10 business days" on the automated machine which suggests a negative outcome.

Will follow-up once I hear but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 5/24 issue despite being targeted by UA.
Update just got home after a few days of travel and had the denial letter that cited too many new cards in the past 2 years so it does seem I fell victim to 5/24.

Big bummer since I was targeted for the 70k + $50 statement credit version by United and have been back on the United bandwagon (plus could use those 70k for a specific purpose).

FWIW from a data point perspective, I've had a banking relationship with Chase since 2011 using them for my checking account and 4 CCs (CSP, Hyatt, and Freedom all of which I've had for at least 4 years and the Marriott which I got last fall).

I live in a state with no actual Chase branches so I could maybe call Recon but I have no in person recourse.
Old Jun 7, 16, 7:32 am

Update just got home after a few days of travel and had the denial letter that cited too many new cards in the past 2 years so it does seem I fell victim to 5/24.

Big bummer since I was targeted for the 70k + $50 statement credit version by United and have been back on the United bandwagon (plus could use those 70k for a specific purpose).

FWIW from a data point perspective, I've had a banking relationship with Chase since 2011 using them for my checking account and 4 CCs (CSP, Hyatt, and Freedom all of which I've had for at least 4 years and the Marriott which I got last fall).

I live in a state with no actual Chase branches so I could maybe call Recon but I have no in person recourse.
Same boat for me...over 5/24 but with no Chase history...received snail mail 70k flyer and applied yesterday...got the 7-10 day pending message. Not holding out much hope.
Old Jun 7, 16, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Big bummer since I was targeted for the 70k + $50 statement credit version by United
Originally Posted by epaairnow View Post
Same boat for me...over 5/24 but with no Chase history...received snail mail 70k flyer
I suggest everyone in this situation complain to United. United is the only one that can put pressure on Chase on this issue. (Chase obviously won't listen to individual user's complaints.) At the very least, United should put language in the T&Cs of the targeted offers to explain this.

If United gets enough people leaving their program because of Chase's 5/24 policy, they might complain to Chase. Chase obviously doesn't care on its own, though.
Old Jun 7, 16, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Ha ha. Airlines care even less about customers than banks. To each his own, etc., but complaining to United is almost assuredly a waste of time.
Old Jun 7, 16, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by kchen View Post
Are there any data points on exactly how soon one can apply for a new card after waiting for a card to hit more than two years old?

For example, I'm at 5 cards in the last 24 months, and one of my credit reports shows my 5th newest card on June 9, 2014. Can I apply on June 10, 2016? But another credit report only says June 2014. Does Chase see the exact date?
I ended up applying on June 6, and got pending review. On June 7 (about 42 hours later), I called the automated status line, and was told it was approved.
Old Jun 7, 16, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
Ha ha. Airlines care even less about customers than banks. To each his own, etc., but complaining to United is almost assuredly a waste of time.
You missed the point of the OP. It's not that UA would care about it's customers, it's that they would care about making money from those customers. If folks can't get a UA card, and they can get a AA or Delta card, then they may well fly with one of those other airlines. That UA would care about....
Old Jun 7, 16, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertHanson View Post
You missed the point of the OP. It's not that UA would care about it's customers, it's that they would care about making money from those customers. If folks can't get a UA card, and they can get a AA or Delta card, then they may well fly with one of those other airlines. That UA would care about....
No, I understood the point. For probably 99 customers out of 100, Chase stands to make more money from someone having a United credit card than United does.

There's almost no way Chase was able to unilaterally implement 5/24 without United's approval, so both parties have assuredly run the numbers already.
Old Jun 7, 16, 10:34 pm

I ended up applying on June 6, and got pending review. On June 7 (about 42 hours later), I called the automated status line, and was told it was approved.
This proves nothing unless/until it's clearly established that you're eligible for the bonus on the 2nd card. See Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right? in the wiki above.
Old Jun 7, 16, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by beltway View Post
This proves nothing unless/until it's clearly established that you're eligible for the bonus on the 2nd card. See Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right? in the wiki above.
I'm confused as to why you're referencing a bonus. I have never had this card (Chase Freedom) before, and the bonus is irrelevant to my ability to get a new card because of 5/24. The data point is indicating how precise 5/24 is, not anything relating to a bonus.
Old Jun 8, 16, 12:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
I'm confused as to why you're referencing a bonus. I have never had this card (Chase Freedom) before, and the bonus is irrelevant to my ability to get a new card because of 5/24. The data point is indicating how precise 5/24 is, not anything relating to a bonus.
I doubt the 5/24 rule is hardcoded anyway. the rep can overrides it, at least people have reported they got approved in local branch with 5/24.
Old Jun 8, 16, 1:18 pm

Hi all, I've been in the game for many years,I only apply card in my husband name when big bonus and he's on 4/24...

He applied Marriott Personal three weeks ago with my name as AU, and the auto line saying pending since then.... should I call? do they also count the AU card opening history?
Old Jun 8, 16, 1:37 pm

Was approved today for Chase ink plus. Went in around May 30th into branch where I bank. No automatic approval. Called in with banker right there. They needed to speak to me since I just opened this business and it had no income. Then they requested I send over my EIN number. After I did that.. another phone call.. she said it was going to a secondary review. First review was for approval for 10k line of credit. I have been waiting since May 31st for secondary review. Called yesterday and explained I needed that card ASAP can someone take a look at it. She was very nice and said they are so swamped that I would have to wait but it would only be another day or so. Today it showed up online and got an email. Way over 5/24. Every time I call it always said ..you will hear in 30 days until this morning when it said I was approved.
Old Jun 8, 16, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by catcathk View Post
Hi all, I've been in the game for many years,I only apply card in my husband name when big bonus and he's on 4/24...

He applied Marriott Personal three weeks ago with my name as AU, and the auto line saying pending since then.... should I call? do they also count the AU card opening history?
Adding you as an AU will not affect "his" application.

Don't call, wait for an answer. Sometimes that takes 5 or even 6 weeks. I know it's hard to be that patient, but calling in reduces your odds of being approved.

Search this Thread