Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
You could wait it out till you can get Chase cards again. Make your first 5 cards the Chase branded cards (Ink, Ink Cash, CSP, Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited) to max out your UR, and then go nuts on other CC's like AMEX and Citi.
except amex is now 1x per lifetime (unless they change something or you get targeted) and citi is now on a 24 month rule (?) with the W to WE loophole closed. Alaskan and Hawaiin with occasional citibiz thrown in seem to be only options left short of sitting out for the 24 months.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:46 am

Like I posted in the other thread.. What is your credit line on the Plus card? If its 5K I would be more worried than if its 10k+. If it is 10k+ secure message them and have it reduced to 5k, then apply for the premier.

Lucky for you, you did the plus first. If you have to call into recon, you can tell them the reason you want the premier card is due to the no Foreign transaction fee.

Unless you post things like your credit score, total number of inquires, and legnth of credit history no one will be able to give you a very good opinion if you will be approved or not.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
except amex is now 1x per lifetime (unless they change something or you get targeted) and citi is now on a 24 month rule (?) with the W to WE loophole closed. Alaskan and Hawaiin with occasional citibiz thrown in seem to be only options left short of sitting out for the 24 months.
Virgin Atlantic too.

AMEX is 1x per lifetime but there are a ton of cards to be had. Also, you can get RSVP codes on the grey market for AMEX biz cards.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:02 pm

Quick 5/24 question... How can I determine for sure if I'm at 5/24 (okay) or 6/24 (bad) before applying for another Chase card? Which credit report does Chase look at and could I see that with CreditCheckTotal.com or AnnualCreditReport.com?

I'm technically well above 5/24, but if my AmEx cards (one from 3/25 and more 4/22 and after) aren't listed yet, I might get in? I was denied for the Ink Plus (app was 3/25, letter on 4/14) and would like to try again for it OR maybe the Freedom Unlimited (because I do have an Ink Cash card and the CSP). But, if I'm above 5/24 (most likely), it would be a waste of a HP. I also have a mailer for the United MPE card so might try for it. Thanks,
--Kyle
Old May 25, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Which credit report does Chase look at?
That varies by area of the country, time of the month, and maybe phase of the moon. Some times they only check with one CB, sometimes they even check with 2 CBs. But it really doesn't matter. HPs do vary from CB to CB, but opened accounts are reported to all of the CBs. So they are all going to report the same number of accounts.

There is a question of how quickly new accounts are reported. I've read that sometimes AMEX can take up to 2 months to report new accounts. YMMV, of course.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
There is a question of how quickly new accounts are reported. I've read that sometimes AMEX can take up to 2 months to report new accounts. YMMV, of course.
Thanks Robert. Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. If my AmEx SPG from 3/25 isn't in there yet (and subsequent AmEx cards), then I have a chance. I assume Citi cards post to the CBs a bit faster. Take care,
--Kyle
Old May 25, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by daw4888
Lucky for you, you did the plus first. If you have to call into recon, you can tell them the reason you want the premier card is due to the no Foreign transaction fee.
And if you get Premier first you can say that you want lower AF.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:02 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Did not see this datapoint in the thread.

I have an Ink already and have received the bonus in the past year. However, just received a targeted offer in mail for 60k and the same business name. Anyone have reasons to think it's okay to apply and will likely get the bonus once more? I can even cancel my current Ink and wait a month before doing so. There were no restriction language on the offer, I'm actually more concerned about Ink being under the 5/24 rule.

Would love additional insights.

Cheers!
Old May 26, 2016, 5:18 am

We have an early report that the Chase Hyatt card is not subject to the 5/24 restriction. This is consistent with DoC's claim that the policy has been extended only to certain co-brands (UA, WN, Marriott), but not to others (IHG, Hyatt, BA, etc.). This doesn't mean DoC's report is correct, of course.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta, United, JetBlue, British Airways, AA, Etihad, Singapore Airlines
Need help here.

United was bombarding me with Mileageplus Promo offers and I tried app'ing twice. First in Oct 15 - was rejected as my name in United account (which auto populates to Chase application when I app) did not match with my CR/Social.

Second was in Jan 16 - Checked on status line and for a month and it kept telling me that my "app was under review". After a while, there was no status.

Surprisingly, I did not get any written communication from Chase. Tried calling them early May and was told they don't keep track of applications more than 3 months old.

My questions now:

1. Is my situation normal? has anyone else experienced the same?
2. I'd like to app again in Aug/Sept when substantial number of inquiries fall off my CR. Would that be a good idea?
3. Since nothing happened and no response was given by Chase, can I dispute the Hard Inquiry in my Experian CR?
Old May 26, 2016, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Disputing valid inquiries is a really bad idea. It's a good way to get your credit report frozen and flagged for ID theft. It also won't make you any friends at Chase.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rkv3
Need help here.

United was bombarding me with Mileageplus Promo offers and I tried app'ing twice. First in Oct 15 - was rejected as my name in United account (which auto populates to Chase application when I app) did not match with my CR/Social.

Second was in Jan 16 - Checked on status line and for a month and it kept telling me that my "app was under review". After a while, there was no status.
Have considered that maybe the reason for the denial for the first app is also the cause for the second failed app? Or did you get that fixed and just didn't mention it here? If not, I think the first thing to do is contact United and get the name on your account changed to match that of your CR/Social. Once that gets straightened out you can try reapplying.

Then since you know that Chase doesn't keep records of apps past 3 months, and since almost all of the posts I've seen have gotten a response within 6 weeks, if you haven't heard anything 2 months after you reapply, I'd say it's a special case that negates the "don't call Recon" advice. After 2 months you probably should call and see if you can find out what's holding things up.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

A half dozen posts have been removed. Please write about Chase products, policies and practices, not about each other, and do not repeat points that you have already made. Posts expressing opinion unsupported by reasoning or evidence seldom add value to the discussion.

If another member posts something that does not add value, ignore it. If this recurs, learn to use the Ignore List feature.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United, JetBlue, British Airways, AA, Etihad, Singapore Airlines
@RobertHanson - I did get the name corrected before I app'ed for the second time. For what it takes, called them today and explained the problem. The agent was surprised that I did not get written communication. She took down all my info and said she'll report it to their Credit department and they'll get back to me, in writing, within 7-10 business days.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by rkv3
@RobertHanson - I did get the name corrected before I app'ed for the second time. For what it takes, called them today and explained the problem. The agent was surprised that I did not get written communication. She took down all my info and said she'll report it to their Credit department and they'll get back to me, in writing, within 7-10 business days.
^ HUCA scores again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.