Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 8:00 am

Does Chase have any rules about how long you should wait before you can reapply after a denial?

I know their applications specifically ask if Chase has denied you any credit within the last 6 months.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:41 am

Don't Know When Your 24 Months Are Up?

I didn't know when my 24 months were up for my SW Premier, and when I asked for advice on this thread I was told "ask Chase". Well, I called Chase, and the CSR said it was no longer in her system, since it was canceled over a year ago. My SW account went back about a year, so that was no help. The CSR said to mail Chase Customer Service and ask, and helpfully gave me the address. Two weeks passed, and no answer. Finally it dawned on me to SM Chase, and a day and a half later they gave me the answer: 4/24/14. There is even a pull down topic on the SM system for "rewards inquiry". I keep all of my cancelled cards, so I was able to give them the full account number, but I don't know if that speeded up the process or not.

Last edited by RobertHanson; May 19, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old May 19, 2016, 9:03 am

Is it exactly 24 months?

Checked the wiki and don't see this there, nor do I remember any posts about it. My last bonus for a SW Premier was 4/24/14, which is 26 days past 24 months, so in theory I'm ready to reapply. Just thought I'd ask if there are any data points about how Chase calculates this. Am I good to go, or should I wait a full month?

Also, I applied for a SW Plus on 5/2, and was approved after a couple of weeks. I really want that CP, so I need the other card. The only data point I'm aware of with Chase is no more than 2 apps in 30 days. Would waiting a month between my apps improve my chances?

I am of course terrorized about the long rumored 5/24 policy being applied to co-brand cards suddenly happening without notice. Since I'm @22/24 that would doom any chance of approval.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Checked the wiki and don't see this there, nor do I remember any posts about it. My last bonus for a SW Premier was 4/24/14, which is 26 days past 24 months, so in theory I'm ready to reapply. Just thought I'd ask if there are any data points about how Chase calculates this.
IIRC, we had a report a few months back from a poster who said s/he applied for the BA Visa more or less ~732 days after receiving the previous bonus. The poster claimed to have received the bonus on the new card, leading to speculation that Chase calculates to the day (and not, say, using monthly increments). Other than that, I don't remember any data points.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by beltway
IIRC, we had a report a few months back from a poster who said s/he applied for the BA Visa more or less ~732 days after receiving the previous bonus. The poster claimed to have received the bonus on the new card, leading to speculation that Chase calculates to the day (and not, say, using monthly increments). Other than that, I don't remember any data points.
^ Thanks...
Old May 19, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: lots of memberships, not much status
Originally Posted by sooner16
Does Chase have any rules about how long you should wait before you can reapply after a denial?

I know their applications specifically ask if Chase has denied you any credit within the last 6 months.
This is a good question, and I'd love some more insight here. Anyone?

Edit: I guess you could probably make a flow chart of reason for denial > how long to wait. If your issue was 5/24, for example, that probably dictates your wait time over all else.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
So, hubby just applied for the Fairmont card. Didn't receive the 'will let you know within 30 days' msg. Instead got a please call us now msg with a reference #. He called and answered a bunch of questions, everything was smooth and then boom!! Denial!! He was on the phone and giving explanations and reasons in the hopes of them to approve it. Moving credit lines was not even an option! He also spoke with a supervisor. Basically got denied because he has 3 new cc with Chase and 11 new cc overall within the past year. She was saying something like there's also a law that you can't open up that many cc or have all that available credit.
I know it's better to not call, but the msg at the end of the application...he just called right away!!

Should he call again next week for reconsideration? He's really upset at Chase (and me b/c I was bugging him to apply, lol). He kept on saying, I have excellent credit, never been late on any payment, and I also bank with Chase, etc ,etc.
I'm just upset b/c we really wanted the Fairmont card for the next trip we're planning

Last edited by express3; May 20, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old May 20, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by express3
So, hubby just applied for the Fairmont card. Didn't receive the 'will let you know within 30 days' msg. Instead got a please call us now msg with a reference #. He called and answered a bunch of questions, everything was smooth and then boom!! Denial!! He was on the phone and giving explanations and reasons in the hopes of them to approve it. Moving credit lines was not even an option! He also spoke with a supervisor. Basically got denied because he has 3 new cc with Chase and 11 new cc overall within the past year. She was saying something like there's also a law that you can't open up that many cc or have all that available credit.I know it's better to not call, but the msg at the end of the application...he just called right away!!
Just a little vague, other than calling Recon of course.

Were 2 of those Chase ccs applied for in the last 30 days?
What is his Total Chase Credit Line?

Either of those could lead to a denial even without calling. But if 1 or no Chase apps in the last 30 days, and a combined Chase CL of $30K or less, then it would have to be that he called.

If he had 2 Chase apps in the last 30 days, before this app, just chalk it up to experience.

If he has more than $30k CL with Chase, SM them to lower some of that CL, wait a couple of days for that to process, then call Recon again.

If neither or those seem to apply, then call again and get a second, and if necessary, 3rd opinion. Best of Luck !
Old May 20, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Just a little vague, other than calling Recon of course.

Were 2 of those Chase ccs applied for in the last 30 days?
What is his Total Chase Credit Line?

Either of those could lead to a denial even without calling. But if 1 or no Chase apps in the last 30 days, and a combined Chase CL of $30K or less, then it would have to be that he called.

If he had 2 Chase apps in the last 30 days, before this app, just chalk it up to experience.

If he has more than $30k CL with Chase, SM them to lower some of that CL, wait a couple of days for that to process, then call Recon again.

If neither or those seem to apply, then call again and get a second, and if necessary, 3rd opinion. Best of Luck !
Thanks for the suggestion!
3 apps with Chase in the last 6 months. Last one was 2 months ago. I think he's at a max for credit line with Chase (personal & business combined)

I guess the best option now is to lower the credit lines and then have him call recon again. And hope for the best!!!
He doesn't even want to call, lol. Let's just say he is doesn't take rejections well, lol.....but it's all a part of the game!
Old May 20, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by express3
Thanks for the suggestion!
3 apps with Chase in the last 6 months. Last one was 2 months ago. I think he's at a max for credit line with Chase (personal & business combined)

I guess the best option now is to lower the credit lines and then have him call recon again. And hope for the best!!!
He doesn't even want to call, lol. Let's just say he is doesn't take rejections well, lol.....but it's all a part of the game!
Yeah, and Chase Recon CSRs can be total jerks right now. Not every one of them, just 90% of them.

Still, at this point, if he still wants the card, he does need to call. But one thing you can do if it's the only way to get him to play the game: have him call, id himself, then say "my hearing isn't very good, I'd like to have my wife take over now". Of course, then we have to ask how good you are at handling rejection.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:02 pm

anyone know if the chase aarp visa card is subject to the 5/24 rule ala chase freedom/csp?
Old May 20, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

No, it shouldn't be.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi guys! I have a question I was hoping you could help me with.

When calling the reconsideration line after a denial, should I be concerned that too many calls/attempts in a short period of time might be seen negatively by the CSRs, or somehow be reported to Chase - since all calls are monitored?
Should I limit myself to only two or three attempts?

Thank you very much!
Old May 21, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by LukeUSDreamer
Hi guys! I have a question I was hoping you could help me with.

When calling the reconsideration line after a denial, should I be concerned that too many calls/attempts in a short period of time might be seen negatively by the CSRs, or somehow be reported to Chase - since all calls are monitored?
Should I limit myself to only two or three attempts?

Thank you very much!
It's usually 3 or maybe 4 with Chase. They won't complain if you do that many. And besides, if you are already denied, the worst that can happen is that you stay denied.

Barclays is another matter, they do keep track, and will chastise you if you call back again, so only do that if you can come up with a substantive piece of additional information that you didn't mention before.

But there are numerous reports of folks on this thread finally being approved on the 3rd or sometimes 4th call.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:29 pm

Closed IHG card on 5/13/2016. Reapplied on 5/21/2016 for 70,000 offer. Instantly approved. Applied for 8 credit cards in the last 24 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.