Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mileshound
The bloggers must be getting nervous. AMEX now has the 1 and done rule and now Chase is getting stricter. The bloggers income is at jeopardy if churning is becoming harder.
I don't think so. As proposed upthread (and I agree with), most of bloggers' affiliate income probably come from newbies, who wouldn't be much affected by this new rule. That's why you see so many beginner posts catering to newbies by the seasoned bloggers.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
It makes sense for a blogger with AMEX affiliation to not mention the once per lifetime, and the "if we recognize you as having an open AMEX card", policies. Blog readers who don't qualify for the bonus will still be approved for a card. So the blogger will still get a payment for the sign up, only the applicant loses out when they don't get their expected bonus.
You're absolutely right. Let's see how much lower the bloggers can get.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by JaytheBarber
Perhaps doling out internet wisdom is just a thankless profession RNE. These seem to be good standards to live by to stay in Chase's good graces and its advice well taken. So, thank you. Feel better?

However, as to the "no policy" bit, when I called recon about the pending CSP application last week that I posted about upthread, I was cited the too many accounts reason and told "this is a brand new Chase policy" and would have been approved just a few weeks ago. This particular rep cited five as the magic number. I tried HUCA a couple times and they wouldn't divulge a number when I pressed on it again but did acknowledge this was a new way of doing things.
This is exactly what I was told as well and again I put $30-40k a year on my Saph for the last decade including a dozen monthly autopays. I really can't be a better customer (on my end) than I am.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was quite obviously sarcasm, as the at the end made clear. And RNE has a habit of purposely misconstruing comments, as was done in this case.

All of the Chase CSRs were correct, there is just a mistake in terminology. The middle ground is that it is a general policy, that will apply to almost everyone. But it's not a "rule" that can never be overcome if for some reason Chase greatly favors an applicant.

Just as Citi has been known to approve an occasional app for someone who was issued the same card 12 months earlier, but turns down 99% of apps without 18 months in between, there is the occasional post of someone not being held to the new Chase policy, as in 3770 above. Just because a policy can be ignored in an exceptional case does not mean it's not a policy, just that its not an absolute rule.
I know, as per my - just want to bring up that the "obvious" to you and me, may not be "obvious" to readers, and especially want to call out RNE's purposed "distortion".

Last edited by Happy; Jun 13, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
You're absolutely right. Let's see how much lower the bloggers can get.
Gary Leff has finally acknowledged the new reality:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....the-long-term/
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mipo777
I just recently applied for the Chase Freedom with the increased signup bonus. I've had Sapphire Preferred since the day it started as I had an older product that converted to it. I haven't opened a lot of cards, maybe 5-6 over the last few years. Mostly Citi AA and Barclays US Air since I was chasing those points before they combined. (It worked too, 350k combined balance and I haven't flown AA in years). 800 level credit.
Its funny, I just realized that Chase is punishing me for being a bad customer for Citi and Barclays. If anyone should be denying a signup bonus its those guys, since I always just switched back to my Saph card after hitting minimum spend. I'm really not sure they are thinking this through enough.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: No Rewards Program
deleted

Last edited by dagganit; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Gary Leff has finally acknowledged the new reality:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....the-long-term/
He did but he did not. If you were not reading doctor of credit or this thread you would blow his comment off as a passing comment with not much impact. In fact the opposite is really true.

In the comments he is asked more details the subject but has not responded. Hopefully he is a stand up guy. He already is proving himself better than the others lets hope it continues.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:56 pm

Something to consider from the Doctor of Credit post

Here’s another data point: A friend of mine has 3 INKs and applied for 2 more. Not only did they deny his applications, the reconsideration rep forced him to close two of his three existing cards.

I’ll repeat that: the rep denied his applications and forced him to close 2 of his existing cards.

Ultimately, he was able to call back and get one of the closed accounts reinstated. We wish him luck on getting the other one reinstated as well.

This case is likely an anomaly; still it could have us thinking twice before calling up and trying to convince Chase that we are worthy of another card. It may be better to lay low and keep what we have.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Something to consider from the Doctor of Credit post
"Here’s another data point: A friend of mine has 3 INKs and applied for 2 more. Not only did they deny his applications, the reconsideration rep forced him to close two of his three existing cards.

I’ll repeat that: the rep denied his applications and forced him to close 2 of his existing cards.

Ultimately, he was able to call back and get one of the closed accounts reinstated. We wish him luck on getting the other one reinstated as well.

This case is likely an anomaly; still it could have us thinking twice before calling up and trying to convince Chase that we are worthy of another card. It may be better to lay low and keep what we have."

KARMA?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Martinex
New Way:

Step 1 - cancel cards and let the credit limit go with it. Perhaps even reduce credit limits without canceling, since it is important to have a low overall limit to enhance the chance of instant approval.

Step 2 - apply for new card and hopefully get instant approval. If you get a pending message, DO NOT call reconsideration, just wait it out and get approved.
Thanks. That's what I plan to do. I dropped my CSP last month after vacillating for weeks. If I had known the new deal I would have kept it. And I would not have gone for 50k DL Gold Amex to diversify my miles holdings a tiny bit. the one thing I did right last month was to let the credit limits go rather than move them.

In a way I welcome the need to churn slowly. It makes me feel that I'm doing close to the best I can by being lazy, rather than missing out on all the goodies.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:52 pm

DataPoint:

DW applied for Chase Freedom today and instant approval. Was getting nervous due to all of the recent chatter. Wanted to get this and then apply for CSP for myself for UR transferablity. There are NO authorized user accounts on her name.

July 2013: Store card
Feb 2015: Barclays
March 2015: Chase
April 2015: Citi
May 2015: Citi

This would be card #6 in 24 months and it was approved. Possible reasons for successful approval are: store card doesn't count or recent Citi app does not show up yet.

Joke will be if I don't get approved for CSP. I have 3 CC accounts, 1 AU account in the last 24 months. Also a few mortgage dings. Hope those don't hurt. Want to wait a bit because I don't MS and want to make sure I (we) can meet the $4k spend. Nevertheless, I will go down in a blaze of glory during recon. My wife would never make a recon call.

Last edited by awval999; Jun 14, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by awval999
DataPoint:

DW applied for Chase Freedom today and instant approval. Was getting nervous due to all of the recent chatter. Wanted to get this and then apply for CSP for myself for UR transferablity. There are NO authorized user accounts on her name.

July 2013: Store card
Feb 2015: Barclays
March 2015: Chase
April 2015: Citi
May 2015: Citi

This would be card #6 in 24 months and it was approved. Possible reasons for successful approval are: store card doesn't count or recent Citi app does not show up yet.

Joke will be if I don't get approved for CSP. I have 3 CC accounts, 1 AU account in the last 24 months. Also a few mortgage dings. Hope those don't hurt. Want to wait a bit because I don't MS and want to make sure I (we) can meet the $4k spend. Nevertheless, I will go down in a blaze of glory during recon. My wife would never make a recon call.
Store cards often don't report to CBs, so that is the most likely reason. Of course, we haven't seen the Chase memo to Recon, so maybe they only consider true "credit" cards, and don't even care about store cards.

You should be fine, as the new rule is 5 ccs and you only have 4, and if necessary could probably get the AU discounted anyway. Good Luck !
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mileshound
He did but he did not. If you were not reading doctor of credit or this thread you would blow his comment off as a passing comment with not much impact. In fact the opposite is really true.

In the comments he is asked more details the subject but has not responded. Hopefully he is a stand up guy. He already is proving himself better than the others lets hope it continues.
^ Gary did just enough to not be greatly criticized for sitting on this when the news becomes more widely known. I also would not have recognized that post as a wake up call if I hadn't been reading this thread.

Since someone up thread said most blogger affiliate income results from apps by newbies, the way for bloggers to be both honest and useful is for them to inform their readers of the new strategy for applying for ccs:

When first applying, make your first 5 apps to Chase. Then pick up a Barclays card before you have too many HPs for them to approve you. Wait for temporarily increased offers on AMEX cards as you can only get one. Wait for your 6 month HP record to drop off, then apply for all of the Citi cards, one every 33 days, as you might as well reset that 18 month clock as soon as possible.

This is exactly the type of advice I would have expected to read from Bow Tie Guy in the past. But sadly I'll be surprised if I read it anywhere other than in this post.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:52 pm

Store cards often don't report to CBs, so that is the most likely reason. Of course, we haven't seen the Chase memo to Recon, so maybe they only consider true "credit" cards, and don't even care about store cards.

You should be fine, as the new rule is 5 ccs and you only have 4, and if necessary could probably get the AU discounted anyway. Good Luck !
It shows up on Credit Karma for her. It's a nationally known big box store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.