Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by rtruitt0708
Love this website. I am revamping the cards that I carry. I have only opened one new card in the past 8 years. so is there any concern with applying for both cards at the same time, or should I apply and get the Sapphire and then wait a period of time to apply for the Freedom Unlimited?
The Chase branded ones are a little harder to get, but if you've only opened one card in the past 8 years, I can't imagine you'd have a problem with both in the same day. Worst case would be a denial that would easily be turned into an approval.

Anyway, both in the same day would result in only one hard pull on your credit report.

I applied for the Chase Southwest Plus and Premier in the same day after no cards in 2 years and both were auto-approved.

Do you plan to keep the CSP long term? If not, you could apply for two cards with a high bonus (CSP and a Southwest Premier card for 50k points or maybe United Mileage Plus Explorer for 50k - if you can find it). Then get the CSP bonus and downgrade it to the Freedom Unlimited with no AF later.

Better yet, if you own a business, apply for the Ink Plus for 60K UR points instead of the others I mentioned. Then you'd have two UR cards and can downgrade the CSP to Freedom Unlimited later. Applying for a business and personal on the same day would result in two hard pulls though. Good luck,
--Kyle
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
No, it was 4 and 6 weeks total after date of application.
Gotcha. Did you mail in the info or call in to provide it? Did it take long after you sent it in? Just curious... Thanks!
--Kyle
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:03 am

What is the link where you can check the status of your app?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Long Islander
What is the link where you can check the status of your app?
I think the only way is to call:
(800) 432-3117 – General Application Status Line, automated
(800) 436-7927 – Alternative General Application Status Line, automated
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
I think the only way is to call:
(800) 432-3117 – General Application Status Line, automated
(800) 436-7927 – Alternative General Application Status Line, automated
I applied for the Marriott personal card on 4/10 but the automated line said the system could not access my app at this time. There was an option to speak with a CSR, but I avoided that. Is it normal for it to take this long to even get a status update?

The confirmation email I got after applying said:

"We'll let you know of our decision through U.S. mail within the next 30 days."
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:15 am

Gotcha. Did you mail in the info or call in to provide it? Did it take long after you sent it in? Just curious... Thanks!
--Kyle
Got snail mail requests to prove ID about 10 days after the apps.

Mailed them back that day.

So @ 18 and 32 days after mailing in ID for approval.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:45 am

Got snail mail requests to prove ID about 10 days after the apps.

Mailed them back that day.

So @ 18 and 32 days after mailing in ID for approval.
Not exactly speed demons, are they?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:48 am

Not exactly speed demons, are they?
If they're getting inundated with apps, most likely they want to slow things down.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by TopSpin46
So after my surprising positive groveling a rep said he placed notes on my account to have them both approved. I was very pleased and the app status line went from pending 7-10 to the 2 week message on both. But now they are back to 7-10 message and I'm thinking another round of denial letters are in the mail . Gonna call again tomorrow to see what's up but this roller coaster ride has been going for almost 30 days now.
Well it looks like my story is ending as a tragedy. The first recon call, the rep said he's marking me for approval and even mentioned what my CLs would be and expect the cards in my account in a few days. But then I get another set of denial letters. I just called recon again and they are having none of it this time around. Spoke to a supervisor too both he and the analyst were telling me it's impossible with my 15 new Accounts in the last two years.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:21 pm

How to space out 4th and 5th Chase credit card applications?

Hi- Wife and I are new to this game.
We thought with the new strict Chase rules we should apply for 5 new Chase cards at the beginning. No new cards in the last 24 months otherwise.

I applied and got approved for Ink+ Business on 1/10/16. On 2/11 applied for United Miles Plus Business. Had to speak to CSR who asked why I was applying for 2 new business cards so close together. He then split the credit line from Ink+ and was approved. I was also put as additional user on DW's Sapphire Preferred on 11/18/15. Now I'm interested in getting the SW Companion Pass. Should I apply to SW Premier and Plus personal on the same day? or do one personal and one business or just do one at a time? How long to wait till I apply for the second SW card? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tjang; Apr 13, 2016 at 2:22 pm Reason: addtional info
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by tjang
No new cards in the last 24 months otherwise. I was also put as additional user on DW's Sapphire Preferred on 11/18/15.
Nope, Chase will count that AU card as an opened account, just as if you had applied for your own CSP. Worse, while the hard and fast rule is no more than 5 in 24, they are denying some folks for just 5 in 24. Possibly depends on your credit and income. Or maybe just the phase of the moon.

Yes, it's often possible to get the AU taken out of the equation when you call Recon after first being denied. But that's not certain either. I'd call Chase before you do any more apps and have them close that AU card. You can always have it put back on later. Is that enough to have it not count against you? IDN, but it's worth a try....
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
...they are denying some folks for just 5 in 24. Possibly depends on your credit and income. Or maybe just the phase of the moon. ....
People should stop referring to this as "5/24". It's 4/24 - that's what's needed for approval. 5/24 might as well be 10/25 - a few people have reported success with both numbers, but those are outliers. You want to be approved, you need to be at 4/24, not 5/25.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
People should stop referring to this as "5/24". It's 4/24 - that's what's needed for approval. 5/24 might as well be 10/25 - a few people have reported success with both numbers, but those are outliers. You want to be approved, you need to be at 4/24, not 5/25.
The point isn't what's needed for approval; the point is what will trigger a denial.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Just moved to a new house so I've had some fun with address verification on a personal & business application.

Business application was denied, decision reversed after calling reconsideration. I volunteered to move credit and no further questions asked. I was sent to their verification department and was able to verify my identity on the phone before submitting my application for final approval.

I received a letter in the mail for my personal application saying that they needed me to provide a document verifying my address. I faxed the document in and was told this will take 2 weeks to process. 3 weeks have passed since my original application date. I called today, a week after submitting to see if they received the address verification. They haven't. Told me to call back in a week.

Sure was a lot easier on this business card side of the house to verify my identity.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:23 am

The Chase branded ones are a little harder to get, but if you've only opened one card in the past 8 years, I can't imagine you'd have a problem with both in the same day. Worst case would be a denial that would easily be turned into an approval.

Anyway, both in the same day would result in only one hard pull on your credit report.

I applied for the Chase Southwest Plus and Premier in the same day after no cards in 2 years and both were auto-approved.

Do you plan to keep the CSP long term? If not, you could apply for two cards with a high bonus (CSP and a Southwest Premier card for 50k points or maybe United Mileage Plus Explorer for 50k - if you can find it). Then get the CSP bonus and downgrade it to the Freedom Unlimited with no AF later.

Better yet, if you own a business, apply for the Ink Plus for 60K UR points instead of the others I mentioned. Then you'd have two UR cards and can downgrade the CSP to Freedom Unlimited later. Applying for a business and personal on the same day would result in two hard pulls though. Good luck,
--Kyle
Thank you Kyle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.