Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 25, 16, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by kyamnitz View Post
Well bummer. Today I applied for the Ink+ and CSP cards. Both went pending. Two questions:

1. I want to hit Apply for the AmEx SPG personal (and probably Citi AA) today, but one thing I don't understand is whether that pull / new account will affect the decision on the Chase card(s)? They already pulled my report, so would they never see today's inquiry / new account with SPG?

2. Should I try calling on the Ink+ and/or CSP now???

Thanks,
--Kyle

Side note - I applied for the CSP through my pre-qualified offer link...
Old Mar 25, 16, 9:21 am

I had a similar situation earlier this month. I applied for the CSP and it went pending. I then applied for the Citi AA and the Barclay's Wyndham. Both were approved. I was declined for the CSP, but called recon and they did approve it. We went over all of my new accounts, but she didn't mention the two newest, so I don't think she did another HP.
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by GenoaAspenGirl View Post
I had a similar situation earlier this month. I applied for the CSP and it went pending. I then applied for the Citi AA and the Barclay's Wyndham. Both were approved. I was declined for the CSP, but called recon and they did approve it. We went over all of my new accounts, but she didn't mention the two newest, so I don't think she did another HP.
Cool, thanks for sharing. How long did it take to get the denial? Did you call recon and get approved right away? My worry is that this won't happen fast enough. 3 weeks from today I have to pay my taxes, and that's how I plan to meet the massive minimum spending for the bonus on these two cards...

BTW, did you apply for the Citi AA and Barclay's on the same day? Thanks,
--Kyle

Last edited by kyleay; Mar 25, 16 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:12 am

Datapoint:

2/24 - Applied for SWA Premier Biz. Got 30 day message via email and on near daily calls to the automated status line.
3/16 - Automated phone status line said I was approved. It did not show up in my online biz account (already have Ink+).
3/21 - Received Card.

Prior to applying I reduced my personal Chase CL by $10k. I've had an Ink+ for more than a year but I didn't lower that limit. Right at 5/24, including 3 Chase personal cards in the last 24 months. In response to my prior question, I did not talk to a human about getting approved. For my Ink+ I called recon right away and had to answer the regular questions about business length, revenue, etc. FWIW, I put $1 in revenue for this SWA Premier Biz card.
Old Mar 25, 16, 11:31 am

I'm in an interesting (and good) position with regards to Chase and want to hear some thoughts. For the past ~2 years I've kept my apps across all banks to only business cards, with a few personal cards thrown in there. Last month I had pre-approval on the CSP (3 new personal accounts + 1 Ink+ in the past 24 months). I applied and got instant approval.

I currently have the INK+, 2 Freedoms, and the CSP with Chase and a combined $30k credit exposure for Chase. Maybe $20k exposure with other banks because about a year ago I closed all cards that were not fee-free. My reported income is ~$55k.

Is that to much exposure? I don't mind lowering credit limits, especially on the Freedoms because I only use them for 5% cats and the only MS opportunity I have is grocery stores.

So, I've been trying to decide if I want to apply for another Ink+ that I have a targeted snail mail code for, a SW personal +Biz if I can swing it, PC one of my freedoms to the new FU, or try for Personal + Biz Marriott.

I transfer my URs to Southwest. I have ~60k Marriott points and no other hotel points. I do have ~150k AA points in reserve as well. I only fly about twice per year due to limited vacation plans, so although I love SW, the CP isn't my goal, but would be a nice little bonus to make the SW points go a little further.

What are my chances of getting a 2nd Biz card through Chase? Thoughts, or a different strategy? I've been trying to calculate some different valuations, but it's been quite difficult, especially if I only end up being approved for 1 chase card and not a combo.

Currently multiple MS opportunities that I still have available.

After I max out my opportunities with Chase I will move on to other banks, like Citi AA (18 months almost up since closure), perhaps Amex + Citi HH. Maybe some BOA cash cards.

Lots of info, so sorry and congrats if you read through it all!
Old Mar 25, 16, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ostornadoe1 View Post
I'm in an interesting (and good) position with regards to Chase and want to hear some thoughts. For the past ~2 years I've kept my apps across all banks to only business cards, with a few personal cards thrown in there. Last month I had pre-approval on the CSP (3 new personal accounts + 1 Ink+ in the past 24 months). I applied and got instant approval.

I currently have the INK+, 2 Freedoms, and the CSP with Chase and a combined $30k credit exposure for Chase. Maybe $20k exposure with other banks because about a year ago I closed all cards that were not fee-free. My reported income is ~$55k.

Is that to much exposure? I don't mind lowering credit limits, especially on the Freedoms because I only use them for 5% cats and the only MS opportunity I have is grocery stores.

So, I've been trying to decide if I want to apply for another Ink+ that I have a targeted snail mail code for, a SW personal +Biz if I can swing it, PC one of my freedoms to the new FU, or try for Personal + Biz Marriott.

I transfer my URs to Southwest. I have ~60k Marriott points and no other hotel points. I do have ~150k AA points in reserve as well. I only fly about twice per year due to limited vacation plans, so although I love SW, the CP isn't my goal, but would be a nice little bonus to make the SW points go a little further.

What are my chances of getting a 2nd Biz card through Chase? Thoughts, or a different strategy? I've been trying to calculate some different valuations, but it's been quite difficult, especially if I only end up being approved for 1 chase card and not a combo.

Currently multiple MS opportunities that I still have available.

After I max out my opportunities with Chase I will move on to other banks, like Citi AA (18 months almost up since closure), perhaps Amex + Citi HH. Maybe some BOA cash cards.

Lots of info, so sorry and congrats if you read through it all!
Chase does not seem to care about exposure with other banks. My last Chase approval, a few months ago, was with credit lines at other banks equal to three times my reported income.

Someone posted that Chase is limiting their exposure to about 60% of reported income. Not sure if this is true because my last approval got me to slightly over 60% of my reported income. Also not sure if business cards factor into this.
Old Mar 25, 16, 12:19 pm

Well bummer. Today I applied for the Ink+ and CSP cards. Both went pending. Two questions:

1. I want to hit Apply for the AmEx SPG personal (and probably Citi AA) today, but one thing I don't understand is whether that pull / new account will affect the decision on the Chase card(s)? They already pulled my report, so would they never see today's inquiry / new account with SPG?

2. Should I try calling on the Ink+ and/or CSP now???

Thanks,
--Kyle

Side note - I applied for the CSP through my pre-qualified offer link...
Quoting myself, but wanted to share... I got instant approval on both the AmEx SPG 35k and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select 60k! Hopefully the two Chase cards go through as well...

Does anyone know if it might be possible to get them to overnight either of those cards? I leave on vacation Sunday! I did try calling and both said no, but maybe there's another number I could try? Doubt it, but thought I'd ask. TIA,
--Kyle
Old Mar 25, 16, 3:29 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing. How long did it take to get the denial? Did you call recon and get approved right away? My worry is that this won't happen fast enough. 3 weeks from today I have to pay my taxes, and that's how I plan to meet the massive minimum spending for the bonus on these two cards...

BTW, did you apply for the Citi AA and Barclay's on the same day? Thanks,
--Kyle
I think it took about a week to get the decline letter. I didn't call right away, maybe a few days later. I just received the card today. I applied on 3/3, approved on 3/17, received card 3/25. Yes... Applied for the other two on 3/9 and 3/11. 😀
Old Mar 25, 16, 5:45 pm

I think it took about a week to get the decline letter. I didn't call right away, maybe a few days later. I just received the card today. I applied on 3/3, approved on 3/17, received card 3/25. Yes... Applied for the other two on 3/9 and 3/11. 😀
Sorry... I don't think I was clear. I did not apply for the Citi and Barclay's the same day... two days apart. Once I was approved for the CSP, I did receive it relatively quickly. Also, I applied for the Chase Freedom on 3/17 and received a decline on 3/22. Just thought I would give it a try since I know any more Chase cards will be out of the question... pretty much forever for me, unless they change the 5/24 policy. I have not called Recon on that one. I was approved for the SPG Amex yesterday, so I will be working hard to meet the minimum spend on four cards by June.
Old Mar 25, 16, 6:10 pm

Sorry... I don't think I was clear. I did not apply for the Citi and Barclay's the same day... two days apart. Once I was approved for the CSP, I did receive it relatively quickly. Also, I applied for the Chase Freedom on 3/17 and received a decline on 3/22. Just thought I would give it a try since I know any more Chase cards will be out of the question... pretty much forever for me, unless they change the 5/24 policy. I have not called Recon on that one. I was approved for the SPG Amex yesterday, so I will be working hard to meet the minimum spend on four cards by June.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing. I got auto approved for both the AmEx SPG 35k and Citi AAdvantage - 60k targeted offer (applied for Citi first of those two). That was a few hours after applying for the Chase Ink Plus and Sapphire Preferred (which are pending). Hopefully I get a quick approved on at least one of the two (Ink especially), but would really like them both! That's enough new CCs for awhile! Well, except that I might try for the AmEx SPG Business on 3/30 when the 35k offer expires... TTYL,
--Kyle
Old Mar 25, 16, 6:27 pm

I applied for the Ink Plus and CSP today (had a prequalified offer for CSP). I called the automated line and one card says 7-10 business days. The other says 2 weeks. But I don't know which is which... Hopefully that means I'll get one of the two - soonish?

If I get approved, any chance I can call and get the card(s) expedited (to pay taxes with)? Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
My SO had a credit score of 810 until a few months ago when he forgot a recurring payment on an unused credit card. He has one 30 day past due mark on his credit score for Dec 2015, and his current score is now 710.

What are his best moves for taking advantage of Chase before 5/24 supposedly hits all cards? He is currently 4/24, and was preapproved for the CSP until a few months ago when his score dropped.

It seems like he is still within the approval range for many cards, but I'm wondering if the 30 day past due mark on his credit card would negate that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 25, 16, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing. I got auto approved for both the AmEx SPG 35k and Citi AAdvantage - 60k targeted offer (applied for Citi first of those two). That was a few hours after applying for the Chase Ink Plus and Sapphire Preferred (which are pending). Hopefully I get a quick approved on at least one of the two (Ink especially), but would really like them both! That's enough new CCs for awhile! Well, except that I might try for the AmEx SPG Business on 3/30 when the 35k offer expires... TTYL,
--Kyle
I'd go ahead and apply now for the business SPG in case bonus is contingent on being approved by 3/30. Just in case. Spouse did SPG personal (instant approval) and then a few min later the business (pending then approved 5 days later). Amex seems fairly cool about giving one of each.
Old Mar 26, 16, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Applied for the United Biz on Thursday using my SSN - instant approval. Last Chase app was a year ago. BUT - I didn't realize (D'oh!) that the Marriott 80K bonus was also on their biz card.

I have an EIN as well. Any chance of me getting the Marriott biz using my EIN? Background is that I have 2 INKs - one with my SSN and one with my EIN - used regularly.

I also immediately lowered the 30K credit line that they gave me for the United Biz - hoping that might help my chances.

Do we know how much longer the Marriott 80K bonus will be live?
Old Mar 26, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by CherylD View Post
Applied for the United Biz on Thursday using my SSN - instant approval. Last Chase app was a year ago. BUT - I didn't realize (D'oh!) that the Marriott 80K bonus was also on their biz card.

I have an EIN as well. Any chance of me getting the Marriott biz using my EIN? Background is that I have 2 INKs - one with my SSN and one with my EIN - used regularly.

I also immediately lowered the 30K credit line that they gave me for the United Biz - hoping that might help my chances.

Do we know how much longer the Marriott 80K bonus will be live?
Why go for two business cards? Here's a link to a landing page showing the 80K bonus for either the Personal card or the Business card.

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Mar 26, 16 at 8:07 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: