Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Sixt Plat, Avis Prez Club, Hertz Prez Circ, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by ralphs
I think you're assuming that if you talk to a human in business recon regarding your Ink that you'll get approved on the spot. That was very much not my experience--I waited a few weeks after talking to recon last month. YMMV
Yes, I am assuming that. I previously held an ink Bold with about 20 something k CL, and business has been good! Plus, it's via a targeted fee-free invitation...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:40 am

Just got off the phone with Recon for Ink+. Was "recommended for approval" but still needs to go to final review. Is this as good as approved, or could it still be bumpy ahead?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
FWIW, app for Freedom is pending despite being within 5/24 and preapproved. Hearing message 7-10 days. Waiting it out.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by bullfrog23414
Just got off the phone with Recon for Ink+. Was "recommended for approval" but still needs to go to final review. Is this as good as approved, or could it still be bumpy ahead?
Maybe. Supervisor could approve or override the CSR you spoke to.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:41 pm

Was successful in applying for two different chase cards today.

Called in for IHG offer, instant approval
Online app for Hyatt, instant approval (5 mins after for app)

Total of 6 new accounts in the last year (besided these two)

Total Chase accounts is 5
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by bullfrog23414
I posted earlier in the thread about my experience, which mirrors yours. I was told that any regulatory issues (this his how he referred to a rule like 5/24) would mean that the system wouldn't let the CSR recommend the application for approval, and that the final review is just a check to make sure the initial review didn't miss anything. I found out about my approval yesterday via an email, and that was around 3 weeks after I called recon. Sit tight and try to heed everyone else's advice about not calling in except to check the automated system, and you should get approved.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:48 pm

Hi folks,

It's very helpful to read all these info. I can also attest to that Chase hasn't started enforcing its 5/24 rule for cobranded cards. After seeing that such a restriction is due, my wife and I both applied online to Marriott card yesterday. We have both over 5 personal cards opened in the last 2 years, me having more. Both of us got "We need to take a more careful look" 30 days response. This morning we both saw the cards in our accounts, with 19k CL each. This is my 4th Chase card, as well as my wife's. I asked for expedited shipping thru SM, but the agent said he cannot do it.

I have a question at this point. We have reduced the CL of each card to 5k since we would like to apply to United card next. How much time interval should we allow for Chase to be able to see the decrease in CL for Marriott's card, so that we can maximize the chances of auto-approval of United card? I searched for this info, but wasn't able to locate it (I am sure it's out there, just couldn't find it). I have also requested to close my SW plus card to maximize the chances.

Thanks a lot in advance for opinions!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by lohatra
I have a question at this point. We have reduced the CL of each card to 5k since we would like to apply to United card next. How much time interval should we allow for Chase to be able to see the decrease in CL for Marriott's card, so that we can maximize the chances of auto-approval of United card? I searched for this info, but wasn't able to locate it (I am sure it's out there, just couldn't find it). I have also requested to close my SW plus card to maximize the chances.
AFAIK, if it is indeed out there, it's way out there. I've never seen a single data point on how long it takes. And even if there were a few data points, we wouldn't know for sure what it means. Is it the same for personal vs business, Chase vs co-brand, is it automatic, or does someone have to get around to finishing it up, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:43 pm

In January of this year I applied and was instantly approved for the SWA Plus and Premier personal cards. In early March, I went ahead and applied for the Chase Ink business card and the CSP card - those applications are being reviewed (automated message says I should hear back in two weeks)
I want to apply for the Amex SPG card by the 3/30 deadline for their 35k points bonus, but need some advice. I thought I would try to wait until my pending Chase applications are approved (hopefully) before applying for the Amex SPG card so that Chase doesn't see I've applied for and received yet another card before they make their decision on my pending applications. However, do you think it matters whether I continue to wait to apply for the Amex SPG card? It would be my 5th application in this year (I haven't had another applications for over 5 years). Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Lowering CL before Applying

Hi everyone, I would like to echo on an earlier question about lowering CL before applying. How long should we wait after lowering CL before applying?

Will it be a better idea to keep the CL so in case they ask for shifting CL from another card? Thanks for all tips and help!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi everyone, I would like to echo on an earlier question about lowering CL before applying. How long should we wait after lowering CL before applying?

Will it be a better idea to keep the CL so in case they ask for shifting CL from another card? Thanks for all tips and help!
You would find it useful to read the wiki, which directly addresses both of these issues.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:14 pm

Applied for the Marriott card on March 1 and got the dreaded pending, as of today still no news. Called the automatic line everyday and got the "we will notify you in two weeks". It's been more than two weeks, I wonder how much longer before I would hear a real update?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
1) How long should we wait after lowering CL before applying?

2) Will it be a better idea to keep the CL so in case they ask for shifting CL from another card? Thanks for all tips and help!
1 AFAIK no one knows. But no doubt sooner is better than later. So I always lower my CL right after meeting and paying off my min spnd for a bonus.

2 Lately Chase has been quite reluctant to shift CL from card to card. Sometimes they will even suggest doing it, but often they will refuse to move anything, and sometimes even offering to outright close an open card will not change their mind on a denial for a new app.

In any case, in order to move CL to a new app, you have to call Recon first, which in many cases results in a denial for a card that otherwise might have been approved. DW was denied twice at Recon for an INK +, and then recently approved on her 3rd app by ignoring Chase's request for her to call.

So no one can say for certain, as it's definitely a YMMV situation, but the odds now are in favor of lowering CL before applying, and hoping that leads to an approval without the need for calling Recon.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by frenchie2
Applied for the Marriott card on March 1 and got the dreaded pending, as of today still no news. Called the automatic line everyday and got the "we will notify you in two weeks". It's been more than two weeks, I wonder how much longer before I would hear a real update?
Although some people still get instant approvals, or are approved in a day or two, If you read back a few pages on this thread, you will see that a 3 week wait is not unusual now. Why Chase would take 3 weeks to decide on an app from someone who has a 5 or 10 year history with Chase, is anyone's guess.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat., BFD
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Although some people still get instant approvals, or are approved in a day or two, If you read back a few pages on this thread, you will see that a 3 week wait is not unusual now. Why Chase would take 3 weeks to decide on an app from someone who has a 5 or 10 year history with Chase, is anyone's guess.
At what point will a significant number of good Chase customers consider this to be bad customer service and bring their business elsewhere (I'm very close)? I'm sure they're consistently crunching the numbers but it will be interesting to see whether they need to loosen up at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.