Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:08 pm

Data points (I've posted this in both the 5/24 and Applying for Chase cards threads).....I did this because I've never been denied a card and I wanted to disprove the 5/24 myth of being a hard/fast rule. As such, I obtained the trifecta in 21 days:

2/16 - Ink Plus, Instant approval, 3rd Chase card and #5 opened in 24 (no surprise as 5/24 allegedly not apply to Ink at that time or even now for that matter and only my #5/24 anyway)

3-8 - Sapphire Preferred, Instant approval, 4th Chase card and #6 opened in 24

3-8 - Freedom, submitted within seconds of the Sapphire app, No instant approval, called recon immediately, explained I wanted it for quarterly bonuses, was asked a few income questions and rep immediately approved, 5th Chase card and #7 opened in 24
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojetz
Data points (I've posted this in both the 5/24 and Applying for Chase cards threads).....I did this because I've never been denied a card and I wanted to disprove the 5/24 myth of being a hard/fast rule. As such, I obtained the trifecta in 21 days:

2/16 - Ink Plus, Instant approval, 3rd Chase card and #5 opened in 24 (no surprise as 5/24 allegedly not apply to Ink at that time or even now for that matter and only my #5/24 anyway)

3-8 - Sapphire Preferred, Instant approval, 4th Chase card and #6 opened in 24

3-8 - Freedom, submitted within seconds of the Sapphire app, No instant approval, called recon immediately, explained I wanted it for quarterly bonuses, was asked a few income questions and rep immediately approved, 5th Chase card and #7 opened in 24
How many of the 7 cards were not personal credit cards? Were any Amex cards that are reporting as older than 2 years old? Are any AU cards?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by maxswanson
Data point: I applied for Ritz Carlton card on Feb. 20, 2016 and always wait for two weeks. I read many page of this thread and did not call recon line. Today, I check my chase account and find I was approved with 38k credit line. I had two other chase personal cards, united with 30k and Hyatt with 32k. I got these two cards almost one year ago.

Six months ago, I applied chase ink and ritz cards together and both got denied. I called almost 10 times and no luck because of 5/24. But they also did not approve the ritz card after many recon calls.

Now I want to get BA card before new 5/24. Is this the good time I apply for this card now? Thanks!
I just went ahead to apply for BA card and no instant approve and got 7-10 business days auto information. It doesn't look good from Wiki. What should I do? Wait just like Ritz card or call reconsideration line? Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by maxswanson
I just went ahead to apply for BA card and no instant approve and got 7-10 business days auto information. It doesn't look good from Wiki. What should I do? Wait just like Ritz card or call reconsideration line? Thanks!
You called the automated line and received the 7-10 days message, or your application pending page said you'd receive the card in 7-10 days if you're approved?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
How many of the 7 cards were not personal credit cards? Were any Amex cards that are reporting as older than 2 years old? Are any AU cards?
The Ink I got on 2/16 is the only business card in the mix. The oldest Amex card is under 1 year old. I don't do AU cards, so none in the mix.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
You called the automated line and received the 7-10 days message, or your application pending page said you'd receive the card in 7-10 days if you're approved?
called automated line and receive 7-10 days message.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Advice is much appreciated on what order I should apply for these (and how long to wait between them or if one should wait a few months). I'm at 6/24 but 4 as AU and they gave me a CSP autoapproved in Dec with 5/24 (4 as AU):

Chase Freedom
Chase Marriott
Amex SPG
Amex SPG Business
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumbojetz
The Ink I got on 2/16 is the only business card in the mix. The oldest Amex card is under 1 year old. I don't do AU cards, so none in the mix.
Another question:

Were all these recent Chase apps online apps using public links? Or were any of them targeted offers and/or applying in-branch? (The latter are two previously known possible exceptions to 5/24 enforcement.)

Thanks.

Also, what "opened on" date does that Amex card show on your credit report? It was less than a year ago, IIRC, that Amex stopped backdating newly opened cards, so if "under 1 year old" still might have been during the backdating period.

You're right on the edge of 5/24 (since #6 and #7 were within seconds of each other, that may have mattered), and so if just one of your previously-applied non-Chase cards didn't show up on your credit report as having been opened in the past 24 months, that could be the simple explanation.

Oh, and one more thing: What was the most recent non-Chase you got and when did you get it. Sometimes cards take a couple months to show up credit reports, so a very recent card from another bank might not yet have been visible to Chase.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Another question:

Were all these recent Chase apps online apps using public links? Or were any of them targeted offers and/or applying in-branch? (The latter are two previously known possible exceptions to 5/24 enforcement.)

Thanks.

Also, what "opened on" date does that Amex card show on your credit report? It was less than a year ago, IIRC, that Amex stopped backdating newly opened cards, so if "under 1 year old" still might have been during the backdating period.

You're right on the edge of 5/24 (since #6 and #7 were within seconds of each other, that may have mattered), and so if just one of your previously-applied non-Chase cards didn't show up on your credit report as having been opened in the past 24 months, that could be the simple explanation.

Oh, and one more thing: What was the most recent non-Chase you got and when did you get it. Sometimes cards take a couple months to show up credit reports, so a very recent card from another bank might not yet have been visible to Chase.
There's really no smoke and mirrors here; 3 Chase branded cards in 21 days and 7/24 overall (missed 8/24 by one month as one dropped off) and credit reports showed all open cards. All apps were done online and non-targeted. The Amex card was opened April 2015 and shows that accordingly on the report (no backdating). The most recent non-Chase was a Citi last September. At the time applied for Ink, it was my #5/24 but the rule allegedly didn't apply at that time. I should have wrote "auto-approved" in initial post for that one versus instant approved because it took two days (got the 30 day message).

Also, when I called recon for the Freedom (#7/24), the rep was well aware of the Sapphire app placed just seconds prior (#6/24) and Ink app from Feb(#5/24) as we discussed it on the phone. Told him Ink was for my business, I needed Sapphire to transfer to UR and Freedom for the quarterly bonuses. Instantly approved after that conversation.

Last edited by jumbojetz; Mar 15, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: grammar
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:33 am

Hi all,

On February 17th, I applied for two Chase cards within seconds of one another: The Fairmont card (using SSN) and the United Business card (using EIN/SSN). I've had both of these cards before, but received the bonuses more than two years ago. I've been doing this aggressively for a long time (24 successful applications in the past 24 months, 4 with Chase) and I figured I'd try once more before the 5/24 rules are applicable for co-branded cards.

In both cases, unsurprisingly, I was given a deferred decision.

Yesterday, I received a rejection for the Fairmont card, but I was able to have it approved this morning by shifting around some credit. I have not received any feedback about the United card (not even an email about the pending application, which I did receive for the Fairmont card) and calls to the automated application status line (using either EIN or SSN) don't yield any information about this card. Is this typical? It's been nearly 30 days -- is it time to bite the bullet and call reconsideration to find out what happened?

Last edited by grlmopz; Mar 15, 2016 at 7:47 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Advice is much appreciated on what order I should apply for these (and how long to wait between them or if one should wait a few months). I'm at 6/24 but 4 as AU and they gave me a CSP autoapproved in Dec with 5/24 (4 as AU):

Chase Freedom
Chase Marriott
Amex SPG
Amex SPG Business
1) Freedom
2) Marriott
3 and 4) AMEX SPG/SPG Biz order doesn't matter
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
1) Freedom
2) Marriott
3) and 4) AMEX SPG/SPG Biz order doesn't matter
^
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:00 am

7 to 10 Days Message Does NOT Predict A Denial

I've read several times lately that when folks get the 7/10 message, they think they might as well call Recon right away, since this means their app is about to be denied. That's not at all true...

DW's last 2 Chase apps, a Marriott last July and an INK a few weeks ago, changed from "30 days" to "7 to 10 days" on the auto line. In both cases she got a snail mail request to verify some info, after which the apps were approved without calling in.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
1) Freedom
2) Marriott
3 and 4) AMEX SPG/SPG Biz order doesn't matter
Excellent. That was my sense, too. I'm seeing conflicting reports re whether or not to apply for 2x chase in a single day. I'm pre-approved for Freedom, so hoping that will be instant approval (and within the 5/24 limit). Should I submit Marriott immediately, within seconds? Or wait.

Likewise with SPG. Should I submit seconds after Freedom and/or Marriott? Or wait till end of month.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Excellent. That was my sense, too. I'm seeing conflicting reports re whether or not to apply for 2x chase in a single day. I'm pre-approved for Freedom, so hoping that will be instant approval (and within the 5/24 limit). Should I submit Marriott immediately, within seconds? Or wait.

Likewise with SPG. Should I submit seconds after Freedom and/or Marriott? Or wait till end of month.
I am in a similar situation:

3/29 two from Chase Hyatt / Chase Ink + / Chase IHG
3/29 AMEX SPG personal and AMEX SPG business
3/29 Barclays Jetblue Business

In terms of Freedom/Marriott, you can use the 2BM or do a phone call/online link combo. You can apply immediately or 2-3 hours later, it should combine pulls if on the same day (morning would be best I think - avoid any PST / MST / CST / EST mix-ups).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.