Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by cchighman
I have about 14 new accounts including AUs within the last two years and still got approved for CSP, I'm guessing because I was responding to a targeted e-mail.
Did that email have an invitation code? I'm guessing if it did it was an actual pre-approval, if not was prob broad marketing based on overall data, like zip code where you live, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:19 pm

Talking Ink+ Approved

Datapoint: TU - 760, CSP - $8,500, Amazon - $3,000, Marriott - $7,500, plenty of new accounts in last 2 years. Applied for Ink+ online with 209k Income, 65k annual rev, Electronic Shopping, used name as Business Name, SSN for EIN.

Received the "Please Call rep to discuss" approval indicator.

Forced myself with all my might to NOT call. Four (4) days later, called Automated line, APPROVED for 35k!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had an interesting encounter with Chase. My fico across the board is around 730. I had a BK in 2009 that hasn't fell off my credit reports yet. Since 2009, I haven't missed a single payment, have auto loan, home loan, Amex 5k, Capital One 22k, and a handful of other cards for various amounts. I've had great luck getting approval for accounts and have a wide diversity of credit.

Chase, however, has been difficult to get approval. I also bank at Chase with checking and savings with my income direct deposited. My annual income between my wife, myself, and bonus is ~200k with a very low debt to income ratio. A year ago, after calling twice on the recon line, I finally got Chase to approve me for a Freedom card at $750 limit. I haven't requested a credit limit on that card and haven't tried applying for cards since then. About 10 total inquires on my record.

Well, they sent me a targeted mail and invited me to apply for Sapphire Preferred so I gathered the courage and applied. Instant came back with "notify in mail". I called recon line immediately and had bad luck with the CSR who basically told me "no" and gave me a bunch of answers that didn't make sense. That was three days ago. Today, I get another targeted mailer for United MileageExplorer for 50k points, 20k more than offered online. I decided to call the recon line back before applying for this and ended up getting another guy on the phone who treated things differently.

He said he was happy to reconsider my Sapphire preferred application, made me wait about 5 minutes, came back and wanted to verify my home, time at home, made me wait about 5 more minutes, came back and asked me about my income, employer, and I explained then indicated my checking account shows the direct deposits. I waited another 3-4 minutes and he came back wanting to know details about my BK, answering "ok..perfect.." in between the answers. I indicated I was 18 or so at the time and just made a bunch of bad decisions like acquired medical bills. He then asked, "What are you doing differently now to make sure this won't happen again?" I responded with "now I'm 14 years old with a family, children, and career. Since 2009, I've had a perfect payment history on over 30 accounts".

I waited another 5 minutes and he came back with something I did not expect. The CSR indicated that he has completed his review of my application and need send it off for additional review, I should hear an answer back within 14 days.

I've never heard of a recon line not clearly approving or denying an application, any thoughts on what this additional review past the recon line might be?

Thanks!
I wanted to provide an update with what data points I can offer. I did some reading and just learned about the 5/24 rule, the invitation exception, and other analysis of response messages.

• I did receive a targeted invitation which seems to exempt me from the 5/24 rule
  • Email after application said 30 days but was pretty much sure to get denied.
  • I called back recon today again to verify the secondary review implied a recommendation of approval. The recon rep confirmed it was a recommendation for approval and I should call back Monday.
  • I confirmed the recommended CL was 5k but the recon rep was careful to indicate this number could change and not to count on that since there is still another lender who could go either way.
  • The automated line says "approximately two weeks" while in this state.

It was such a night and day difference between the first recon rep I spoke with that outright denied me and the lender on the second attempt a couple days later.

My Chase Freedom is only $750 and it took a couple recon calls to get that approved a year ago (BK, recent credit). I sure hope this is about as close as I can hope to get to an approval...
UPDATE
Called automated line this morning and CSP was approved for 5k. This is with a BK in 2009. First attempt was "pending", called recon and was denied, called recon again and the lender opened it for reconsideration and made a recommendation to senior lender, four days later, I hadn't called and was approved. The automated message indicated "approximately two weeks" for pending state.

I have about 14 new accounts including AUs within the last two years and still got approved for CSP, I'm guessing because I was responding to a targeted e-mail.
Datapoint: TU - 760, CSP - $8,500, Amazon - $3,000, Marriott - $7,500, plenty of new accounts in last 2 years. Applied for Ink+ online with 209k Income, 65k annual rev, Electronic Shopping, used name as Business Name, SSN for EIN.

Received the "Please Call rep to discuss" approval indicator.

Forced myself with all my might to NOT call. Four (4) days later, called Automated line, APPROVED for 35k!
Too many discrepancies in the sequence of events, makes one wonder what to believe - from a $750 Freedom only since a year ago and not tried for any Chase card, until recently a CSP with $5K after multiple recon calls, to suddenly now being a CSP with 8.5K, an Amazon 3K and a Marriott 7.5K ...

We all know Amzn and Marriott are both issued by Chase... So when were those 2 cards came in play with the $750 Freedom only until very recent CSP approval?

Are these 2 the recent additions after the CSP long drawn out approval? Followed by a 35K Ink Plus?

A difficult approval on CSP that ignored the 5/24 on a targeted offer, then 2 other cobranded cards, followed by a sizable CL Ink Plus... It is just too incredible to match with any data points in the past 9 months.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Too many discrepancies in the sequence of events, makes one wonder what to believe - from a $750 Freedom only since a year ago and not tried for any Chase card, until recently a CSP with $5K after multiple recon calls, to suddenly now being a CSP with 8.5K, an Amazon 3K and a Marriott 7.5K ...

We all know Amzn and Marriott are both issued by Chase... So when were those 2 cards came in play with the $750 Freedom only until very recent CSP approval?

Are these 2 the recent additions after the CSP long drawn out approval? Followed by a 35K Ink Plus?

A difficult approval on CSP that ignored the 5/24 on a targeted offer, then 2 other cobranded cards, followed by a sizable CL Ink Plus... It is just too incredible to match with any data points in the past 9 months.
Yes, does seem strange how everything changed in his posts.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:25 pm

I registered and received an EIN last year but never bothered to apply for a business card afterwards.

Can I use a year old EIN if my business is 5+ years old?

Should I just use my social? Does it make any difference which way?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ajc1970
EIN, company in business since 1998. I answered "other" to the question about my position in the company (co-founder who "sold-out" and just works there now). I estimate we're making well over $5M but we're private and I'm no longer privy to that info, so not sure and I just guestimated $5M on the application.
Thanks for the response.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:35 pm

How Fast Do CL Changes Take Effect With Chase ?

DW was about to apply for an INK, but I insisted she check her TCCL first. As I suspected, it was too high. So we lowered the CL on a couple of cards.

Any data points on how soon those are likely to be complete in Chase's system? With the upcoming 5/24 being applied to the INK, this is a final chance to get it, so we don't want to push our luck by applying too soon. Then again, I wouldn't count on the mid-March date holding, Chase might well jump the gun.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:37 pm

Applied for SW 'Premier' and 'Plus' last week on the same day. Called in and got the Premier approved with moving around credit. Called in a few days after for the Plus and got denied (at first CSR said it could be approved with moving around credit then he came back and said he was unable to approve it). Did a 2nd recon call today and it was a no go. At this point I am losing hope. Should I call recon again in a few days or just wait some time and re-apply? I am trying to get the SW Companion pass and it will be very difficult to achieve without getting the second 'Plus' card.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
DW was about to apply for an INK, but I insisted she check her TCCL first. As I suspected, it was too high. So we lowered the CL on a couple of cards.

Any data points on how soon those are likely to be complete in Chase's system? With the upcoming 5/24 being applied to the INK, this is a final chance to get it, so we don't want to push our luck by applying too soon. Then again, I wouldn't count on the mid-March date holding, Chase might well jump the gun.
Last month I reduced my CL on my Hyatt card and was approved 5 days later for a SW Plus with a CL of the exact amount reduced, so I would guess it changes in their system pretty quickly, possibly by the time it changes in your online banking portal. Granted those were both personal cards, so it might be different with business. I'm in the same boat on trying to get the Ink + before it goes 5/24 but not too soon either.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, thanks everyone!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:20 pm

When Chase requires verification of something via fax/mail (SSN, name, address, etc.), how long does it take them to adjudicate your application from the time you fax it on an app you believe would otherwise be an instant approval?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Per reports here, anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson

Cannot vouch that but I lowered my Hyatt card on 01/29 and today the IHG card got instant approval with the exact CL gave up on the Hyatt.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khochurn
I have a freedom with an 18k limit on it. I have 5 personal and 1 business card with Chase. Should I lower my Freedom limit to 3k?
If your Freedom billing statements are always below $900, then yes. (Otherwise, lower it significantly, but maybe not all the way down to $3k. You want to avoid having billing statements which are more than 30% of your CL on the card if possible.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

You're right. I should probably clarify. My last datapoint regarding Ink+ was my wife. She has CSP, Marriott, Citi ThankYou Premiere, Amex Premiere Rewards, Amazon, AAAdvantage. However, she hasn't applied for anything with Chase for at least a year. Last year, we were torn apart by recon when applying for Ink+. This year, she was approved for 35k.

Myself, I had the BK back 2009. I have Chase Freedom $750 that took two recons to get last year. I also have Venture Rewards ($22k oddly enough), Amex Everyday ($5k), Barclay Rewards, and Discover. My TU is up to about 737.

I received an email to this effect: "Thank you for being a valued Chase customer. We invite you to apply for our Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card, named a 'Best Credit Card' for Travel Rewards by MONEY Magazine.**" I applied for the CSP, was denied, told no by recon, and only called back after receiving a targeted United offer and didn't want another HP. This time, the guy was nice and recommended approval to a senior.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:24 am

I applied for the CSP on Monday. I've received a lot of offers for this card in the past, have a FICO well above 800, and am far from being a churner, just have one credit card that I've had for about 8 years, so was expecting an instant approval...but instead got a 7-10 day waiting message. I didn't think too much about it until I came across this thread and saw that lots of people who got this message were later denied for the card. Since my current card is being transferred to another issuer next month, and I don't want that to happen, I needed to make sure that I was approved for a new card this month so that I can start transferring all my bills over to the new card.

So today I called in to the automated line to check the status, and that just said it was pending. Then I transferred to a live representative who checked and said it was in a 30 day pending period. I explained why I wanted to know sooner than that, and she transferred me to someone who was supposed to be able to give me an immediate decision, but that person took another 10 minutes to check my account, ended up telling me the same thing about a 30 day period, and then transferred me to another rep in an overseas call center. That rep did a bunch of things to confirm my identity, then went and talked to someone else for a few minutes, then came back and approved my application, but said that it would be two weeks before I receive my card. I tried to find out if there was something in my credit file, or other info that made this not a quick and automated process, but she couldn't tell me anything.

Have to say this wasn't a great first impression compared to my experience with Amex, where it seems that the first person you talk to almost always has the authority to help with whatever you need without transferring off to someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.