Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: beltway
Wiki Link
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 16, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by intertim View Post
Do I need to wait a certain amount of time after being approved for CSP before applying to Freedom or can I just jump right in?
Good question. I'm asking that question myself Part of me wants to try for the Freedom and the Ink Plus today, right now! But another part of me thinks I should wait awhile, and build up some use on the CSP that they've given me. I am awaiting the words of the TF masters like RobertHanson and sdsearch on the way to proceed. In the meantime I will double-check and triple-check that I am nowhere near close to 5/24, so as to give me more confidence in what I do next. My case is a bit different because of the Citi offer that expires on 3/31.

Update #1: With the CSP I only have two credit cards now...and my first card was obtained much more than 24 months ago. So it looks like I am well under 5/24. Looks like I'm going to go for the Ink Plus tomorrow...

Last edited by jalabi99; Feb 5, 16 at 2:47 am Reason: Update
Old Feb 4, 16, 9:29 pm

Applied for the UnitedMileage Explorer Business card yesterday. Got the standard answer "we will notify you". FICO 830+.

Here are my current cards with chase:
Slate
Sapphire Preferred
United (cancelled 2 months ago)
Ink Business

Within last month, applied and approved for:
Southwest (churned once)
United Explorer

Wasn't sure about calling, since I've applied for and was approved for 2 cards already. Talked to a very nice agent. She went over my numbers, came back she couldn't extend any more credit but she would move some credit from my Ink business. I gladly accepted.

I was short 50k for 2 first class seats ORD-HNL for my honeymoon this summer, but that will take care of that. I'm still looking at other options, 90k per seat one way is crazy.

Last edited by sopel; Feb 4, 16 at 9:36 pm
Old Feb 4, 16, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by sopel View Post
I was short 50k for 2 first class seats ORD-HNL for my honeymoon this summer, but that will take care of that. I'm still looking at other options, 90k per seat one way is crazy.
Congratulations on your wedding!
Old Feb 5, 16, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c View Post
Thought I'd provide some data points for my Chase apps over the years:

Freedom 30k 1/12
CSP 40k 11/12
United 50k 2/13, closed 2/14
Ink Bold 50k 2/13, closed 2/14
Ink Plus 70k 6/13, closed 6/14
Hyatt 11/13, closed 11/15
IHG 80k 4/14
Ink Cash 30k 6/14
Ink Plus 60k 2/16

Didn't have any intention of getting another Ink Plus - but I kept getting 60k offers in the mail, so I decided to bite. I applied online on 1/31 using the link and offer code from the letter. Got a pending decision - the website asked me to call in as soon as possible to review the application; the email said they'd get back to me within 30 days. With all the stories of people having a hard time on the recon lines, I decided to just wait it out. I don't have a "real" business, but I do have a FICO score of ~830. Was happy to get the approval email today for my 4th Ink (Bold, Plus, Cash, Plus) ^
Weird, I applied on 1/22 with a mailed offer and got the please call us. I didn't call based on this thread but still haven't heard anything about my application. Does that mean I likely got declined or should I actually call?
Old Feb 5, 16, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by tys90 View Post
Weird, I applied on 1/22 with a mailed offer and got the please call us. I didn't call based on this thread but still haven't heard anything about my application. Does that mean I likely got declined or should I actually call?
Some people have waited weeks for Chase's decision.
Old Feb 5, 16, 8:59 am

Programs: Too many to count!
Waiting Over - Thank Goodness!

Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
Good, unless Chase somehow got really backlogged again, as it was from mid-Dec. to mid-Jan., and hasn't even started processing the app.
Just got a call from Chase this morning. They verified some info and then asked if I'd like to move some credit from one of my other cards in order to open the BA card since they can't extend any more credit to me. Of course I told them I'd be happy to! (which is what I had in mind already).

Approved! Woohoo!

Just to recap. Applied for Chase BA on Jan 16. Not auto-approved and have been getting the "we'll notify you in 30 days" on the automated phone line.

Much relieved now!
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
Just got a call from Chase this morning. They verified some info and then asked if I'd like to move some credit from one of my other cards in order to open the BA card since they can't extend any more credit to me. Of course I told them I'd be happy to! (which is what I had in mind already).

Approved! Woohoo!

Just to recap. Applied for Chase BA on Jan 16. Not auto-approved and have been getting the "we'll notify you in 30 days" on the automated phone line.

Much relieved now!
Congratulations of course.

But now it's time to deal with that "they can't extend any more credit to me". Assuming you ever want to get another Chase card, look over the CLs you have on your Chase cards, and find the ones where you have much more CL than you would ever want to use in a single billing period. Then SM Chase to reduce that to a more reasonable level. You got lucky this time, as sometimes Chase lets folks move CL from existing cards to new apps, and sometimes they refuse. Additionally, it's pretty well documented that it's easier to get approved without calling in. But since you are at the max CL that Chase will give you, right now calling in is required. If you lower your total Chase CL significantly, you won't have to do that anymore.

You can SM Chase right from your cc webpage, and it's utterly painless since you don't even need to speak with anyone. Just say "please lower the credit line on my account ending in XXXX to $X,XXX" and send that off. Best of course to make and pay off the min spnd on a new card before doing this, but existing cards can be lowered right now.
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by jalabi99 View Post
Congratulations on your wedding!
Thank you so much!

Super excited. Got our flights back from Maui already through AA. Alaska to PDX and then AA to ORD. All *First*. Now I'm trying to get first going to HNL but no supersavers anywhere.

BTW for anyone that's interested. These united cards take longer time to receive. They showed up online right away, but it's been over a week since I applied for the personal explorer and I still haven't received. Just today, the extra awards showed up on united.com for me, so that took over a week as well.

I asked to get the business one expedited, and they said they couldn't do it since it had to go through a verification process with united first.
Old Feb 5, 16, 10:59 am

I applied beginning of this week, Feb 1, for the CSP. The email and instant message I got said 30 days.

On the automated phone account, I get "7-10 days" which seems to be a ding. Yesterday night I called the general line (lending dept. was closed). The CSR offered to look at my application and said that the lending department hasn't even begun to look at it. Only after they do will something change in my status.

I imagine they are getting slammed with applications and are way backlogged. I am within the 5/24 cut-off but I do have 3 chase cards already.

I think I will try calling the lending dept before they close today to talk about the application. If it is a ding, so be it. The 7-10 days seems it may be anyways, so might be able to talk them into approving it after moving CLs around.
Old Feb 5, 16, 12:41 pm

I just got the, "we'll let you know by mail" screen applying for the CSP. I currently have a Chase Sapphire which I downgraded from CSP 1.5 years ago, 1 Freedom from 5 years ago, and 2 US Bank cards from 3 years ago. I just canceled my United Explorer card 2 weeks ago. I'm also an AU on my wife's CSP. I got a 15k car loan in November also. In my application, I listed my wife as an AU which I know was probably a mistake. Should I call? Do I have a good shot still?
Old Feb 5, 16, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Spouse got CSP a month ago and is pre-approved for Freedom. Sitting at 6/24 (but was 5/24 when approved for CSP), if including AU accounts. I'd like to "refer a friend" with the Freedom offer. Does it matter if spouse applies through the pre-approved link or through the referral link?
Old Feb 5, 16, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
I think I know the answer to this, just wanted to confirm:

5/24 rule does not apply to Chase BA card, since it is a "co-branded" card, right?

Thanks for response and Cheers!
Old Feb 5, 16, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98 View Post
I think I know the answer to this, just wanted to confirm:

5/24 rule does not apply to Chase BA card, since it is a "co-branded" card, right?

Thanks for response and Cheers!
Correct. Though, some agents have applied that rule to co-brand cards as well.
Old Feb 5, 16, 4:07 pm

I just called recon and got approved for the CSP. Is there any reason I should wait to apply for the Freedom if I just applied for CSP yesterday?
Old Feb 5, 16, 5:25 pm
Suspended

If the CSP is your first Chase card and/or you have a thin credit file, it's unlikely that Chase will approve a second card within 30 days.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: